PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Party Flying Bases That Don't Suck

ElectricPaladin
03-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Does anyone know where I can get third party flying bases for vehicles - like Tau grav-tanks - that don't suck? I went through two GW flying bases for one tank in one night. It was kind of ridiculous. Does anyone know where I can find better flying bases? Links appreciated.

Thanks.

wittdooley
03-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Why not just use regular bases? Most people flock over the clear portion of the bottom anyways...

ElectricPaladin
03-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Why not just use regular bases? Most people flock over the clear portion of the bottom anyways...

The problem isn't the bottom, it's the top. The place where a flying base slots into the bottom of a vehicle is very small. It's strong enough for a small model, like a land speeder. For anything large, like a Tau grav-tank, it isn't strong enough and the typical jostling a model takes as it moves around the board is enough to snap it.

Over and over again.

Thornblood
03-16-2012, 12:04 PM
I've only had this problem with the long ones (like on the drones), not the short ones that are meant for a devilfish/hammerhead.

Im afraid if its still an issue, that your going to have to find something stronger than plastic. Try Brass rod- its not as good looking though. It comes in many sizes so just get the one thats the same as a flying base insert. Cut it long, so instead of needing a ridge to stand on it can hit the inside of the hull for extra stability/ less stress on the material.

Mr. Furious
03-16-2012, 01:50 PM
Do a search for Speepy's Stems on ebay. The last stems you'll ever have to buy.

ElectricPaladin
03-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Do a search for Speepy's Stems on ebay. The last stems you'll ever have to buy.

I'm not finding Speepy's Stems on ebay :-(.

Mr. Furious
03-16-2012, 02:06 PM
I'm not finding Speepy's Stems on ebay :-(.

Sorry about that.

Search for "aluminum flight stems" and it should find them for you.

Defenestratus
03-16-2012, 02:07 PM
use high powered magnets on the stems. Then you can drop your tank all over the place and it wont break the base.

Eyespy
03-16-2012, 02:52 PM
I've always thought the Back-2-Base-ix (http://www.back2base-ix.com/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=54) magnetic flights stands were pretty good. You'll need to do some drilling for the magnets, so its better for a new kit.

ElectricPaladin
03-16-2012, 03:27 PM
I like the speepy bases. Simple problem - simple solution. These SOBs won't break!

Dyrnwyn
03-16-2012, 04:34 PM
When I collected Tau I had a similar problem - I had one tank that had three stem tips rattling around in it. I eventually gave up and sat the tanks on clear plastic cases I found at my local hobbystore - they're the same material and size as those Chessex dice cubes, but with a clear lid. The wider area meant they were more stable, and if the tank was trying to hover somewhere where terrain would tilt it, or the longer base wouldn't fit, you could flip it 90 degrees and make it fly a little higher with a smaller base. Worked great, but I've since sold off my Tau.

Uncle Nutsy
03-16-2012, 06:47 PM
well if you're up for a little DIY, you can create your own stands.

just take the inside diameter of the flight stand base, find a tube of aluminum that's as close to that as possible, and then get a piece of steel rod that fits inside the aluminum tube. mate that steel rod to the hole in the tank, cut to length and call er done.

wacca
01-04-2013, 09:47 AM
The only problem there is the price. Quite expensive for a piece of rod. I use Brass / steel rod. paint it black and use green stuff to fill the whole to the right size. I have Storm ravens fitted this way as well as all my tau Skimmers. This gives me the option of having the exact height and tilt that I want. I got a cheap length from the local DIY store.

Mystery.Shadow
01-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Wish I had better pics of them, but this Eldar Player used those Magnetix toys:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51voB8mNnOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

There's a rare-earth magnet in the base and also in the vehicle:

Holding up Wave Serpents:

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/HiveFleetMysteryShadow/TurkeyDay+Apocalypse+2012/11270025.JPG.html

They're strong enough to even hold up those Forge World Warp Hunter Grav Tanks:

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/HiveFleetMysteryShadow/TurkeyDay+Apocalypse+2012/11270051.JPG.html

Hope that helps!

St.Germaine
02-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Hopefully no one minds my adding my two cents as I'm in a similar boat but not for vehicles. I've gotten my hands on a number of old metal Nid gargoyles without bases. GW wants a buck piece for the small clear plastic flying bases. I'd prefer something a mite cheaper. Anyone know of any 3rd party sources for these? Thanks in advance.

DarkLink
02-14-2014, 03:49 PM
I took a 1/8" magnet, drilled a hole in the bottom of my Eldar skimmers, and glued it in place. Then, I took a 1/8" aluminium tube and slid it over the flying base's stem, poured a bunch of glue down it, and closed the top off with the other 1/8" magnet. Extremely sturdy, and very stable. I'll see if I can get a picture uploaded.

Edit: Here you go

Tannarak
02-15-2014, 10:18 AM
what size and strength of magnet did you use?
1/8" in one direction, what was the other?

DarkLink
02-15-2014, 02:19 PM
1/8th for both. Just some random rare earth magnets a friend gave me. I'm sure you could find them in ebay or amazon easily.