PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Green Stuff

TheCreator
03-16-2012, 08:21 AM
So all the reviews I've found say it's pretty handy, but like most of GWs product there are better and cheaper alternatives out there. One review said it's like Vallejo's Plastic Putty, is there any other alternatives?

wittdooley
03-16-2012, 09:09 AM
As far as I know, LGS is the only putty/green stuff alternative you can paint on with a brush.

It's amazing, and well worth the $3.50.

phoenix01
03-16-2012, 09:19 AM
I like it, but don't use it with your best brush.

ElectricPaladin
03-16-2012, 10:07 AM
I agree - this stuff is incredible!

Necron2.0
03-16-2012, 10:26 AM
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/076/7/2/squadron_green_putty_by_necron2_0-d4t0uvp.jpg

Not used it myself, but from what I can tell, it looks a bit like Squadron Green Putty that has been "watered" down with acetone. Supposedly it's water soluble though, so who knows. For myself I'm sticking with Squadron's.

StraightSilver
03-16-2012, 10:36 AM
The problem with GW's liquid Green Stuff is that it comes in the standard GW paint pot, which means over time it becomes un-useable as it dries out very quickly.

The Vallejo liquid model filler is in my opinion better, and last longer.

Alternatively you can use a Milliput wash, which has the advantage of being able to be sanded.

wittdooley
03-16-2012, 11:15 AM
The problem with GW's liquid Green Stuff is that it comes in the standard GW paint pot, which means over time it becomes un-useable as it dries out very quickly.

The Vallejo liquid model filler is in my opinion better, and last longer.

Alternatively you can use a Milliput wash, which has the advantage of being able to be sanded.

LGS can also be sanded, and easily.

I've some bottles from the day they released it. Not even remotely dry.

It is water soluable, making clean up of your brush EASY. I personally like it much better than Squadron for smaller models, in particular.

I still use squadron for vehicles, but I'm now using LGS almost exclusive for any other type of model.

Necron2.0
03-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Hm. May have to give it a go.

Cavematt
03-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Brushing it in works great to cover seams between pieces, but what do you think is the best way to use it to fill finecast bubbles? I ask because brushing it in seems to just build up the lip from the hole caused by the bubble.

wittdooley
03-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Brushing it in works great to cover seams between pieces, but what do you think is the best way to use it to fill finecast bubbles? I ask because brushing it in seems to just build up the lip from the hole caused by the bubble.

I typically use super glue for that:-). It works well, though. You just have to do a few layers.

AnEnemy
03-17-2012, 01:56 AM
LGS is a great product, but I highly recommend thinning it with water before applying it to your model. It can be filed/sanded, but that always risks screwing something up on the model.

Much better to do it in thin layers imo.

Emerald Rose Widow
03-17-2012, 08:55 AM
Liquid greenstuff has done wonders for me. It goes on easilly, can be sanded when you need it to be, and it is far easier to work with than greenstuff. When you have to fill gaps and such I thing it works pretty well, though I haven't tried vallejo's yet, so I cannot say on that one.

Cpt Codpiece
03-17-2012, 09:23 AM

if it is just little pin head bubbles either super glue or LGS works a treat. i prefer LGS as it is more controllable. just remember it may take more than one layer to fill larger holes/cracks.

i like LGS its a lot easier than either using water and milliput or normal GS to fill gaps.

juliusb
03-17-2012, 11:12 AM
LGS is great for little air bubbles. I'm actually looking forward to the new plastic glue and nozzle. I'm a chronic over-gluer and I'm always up for trying new bottles.

p00zer
03-17-2012, 05:31 PM
i'm definitely gonna hafta try this stuff.

Cavematt
03-17-2012, 06:43 PM
I typically use super glue for that:-). It works well, though. You just have to do a few layers.

Yeah, but it's a long bubble along a mold line and I don't know how that'll work. I got it mostly filled, but I'll try your method to touch it up.

AnEnemy
03-18-2012, 12:42 AM
LGS is great for little air bubbles. I'm actually looking forward to the new plastic glue and nozzle. I'm a chronic over-gluer and I'm always up for trying new bottles.

I picked up a bottle of this today because I figured it'd be better for my dainty DE. Liking it so far.

Diagnosis Ninja
03-18-2012, 05:20 AM
I don't have much experience with it, or with green stuff, but so far it's worked well on filling in the holes on my Archon's cape. He's head of some crazy kabal in Commoragh, why the hell can't he afford a new cape?

Seemed to spread fairly easily, and dried fairly quickly. Good job for three quid.

Javin
03-18-2012, 09:23 PM
I have been leery of this product but I will have to pick up a pot. I always manage to mess up on my speeders and filling in the little extra spaces is irritating.

Turkadactyl
03-18-2012, 10:10 PM
I used LGS a few days ago. Wow. Saved me a lot of time and hassle compared to working with the solid version. Two thumbs up for the product. It's well worth the price.

thingol
03-19-2012, 05:48 AM
I have a bottle I got as a door prize for a tournament I played shortly after it released, I really should try it out sometime. What would you say is the largest gap it will fill before cracking when it dries?

dewisant
03-20-2012, 06:06 AM
You can't fill big gaps with is but it is fantastic for smoothing mis-casts, small gaps, ect. I have just used mine while putting together my TWC and it has been fantastic. Far easier than all the other liquid/cream fillers that I have used.

Jay Adan
03-20-2012, 12:12 PM
I wrote a review of LGS last month if anybody's interested.

http://jayadan.com/content/review-citadel-liquid-green-stuff

When I wrote it I had pretty much completely forgotten about my experiences with Vallejo's plastic putty. My opinion is that LGS is much better than the Vallejo offering. I never could figure out the best use for the plastic putty so I still have the bottle that I bought a couple of years back.

Duke Rich
03-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Seems like a good idea, but, guess we'll just have to wait and see. Can imagine a lot of unknowledgeable people ruining brushes this way though.

astrocometer
03-21-2012, 04:32 PM
Ive never used it myself, but most people i know of would recoommend it big time, and it makes sense really, super flexible greenstuff. Its not really the same as other putties out there

WH40kgamer
03-22-2012, 02:03 AM
It is very easy to apply and fills in gaps great. The best thing is if you can wait and let it set you can carve into it to add detail just as easy as using regular green stuff or milliput. Great for hair and fur! It's been great for the new Space Wolf models.

spagunk
03-22-2012, 02:05 AM
Sounds like good reviews overall. May have to pick some up!

Speed Freek
03-22-2012, 09:58 AM
I just picked up a bottle to try out on my remaining metal models that I'm finishing up as gap filler. I'll let you know how it works out.

will44
03-22-2012, 01:17 PM
I've recently started using green stuff to bind my models together, since it's damn near impossible to get the mold lines completely flat, and there's always spaces showing in the wrong place. Will liquid green stuff help with that?