PDA

View Full Version : Why should your Grey Knight or Blood Angel dreadnought have to walk?

elmo.a69
03-15-2012, 02:29 PM
http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/photopost/space-marines/p2408-working-mag-locks.html

No reason whatsoever.

With a couple of properly placed magnets you can allow your dreadnoughts to actuall catch a ride across the board as described in the rule books.

I used 1/8" by 1/16" neodymium magnets on his feet, torso, and his searchlight while at the same time placing a magnet in the mag-lock bit for the stormraven. I don't know if I would try it with an old school pewter dreadnought though.

At the same time for a little extra fun I used 1/16" by 1/32" magnets to attach the heavy flamer and stormbolter options.

I hope you all can have some fun with this!

elmo.a69
03-15-2012, 02:34 PM
For some reason it is not wanting to show the attached photo. Go to the gallery and search working mag locks to see the final product.

Malok1013
03-15-2012, 06:26 PM
That's awesome with the mag lock! I also saw your Grey Knights that you put magnets in. That's a pretty sick idea as well. How did you do it with the Grey Knights, exactly?

elmo.a69
03-17-2012, 02:56 PM
For the grey knights I used a pin vice with a 1/16" drill bit. I started with one arm and set the shoulder and wrist magnets. After setting the first magnets I put a dot of paint on the magnet and matched it up with all the hands and the torsos to mark where the match would be. Once done with that I set those magnets as well then did the other side. There are a couple of arms with deeper pits in the shoulders. For this I used an extra magnet to fill the gap but I think if you put a little green stuff in there and scrape the excess off the top with a knife it should fill nicely. I aquired the magnets through ebay at about $0.07 per in a lot. It was a lot of 500 for about $36. I plan on doing the same when I get me some wolf guard terminators.

triplare
03-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Looks sweet! I initially thought that actually attaching the dreadnought to the vehicle would make it 'unstable' when on the base...but apparently not! A friend of mine has a Stormraven and I'll have to point him in the direction of this post. Thanks!

St.Germaine
03-18-2012, 11:45 AM
I'm currently working on my vanilla bike army but getting back to my purple & gold BA is the next task after this force and the first thing to do is my Stormraven kitted out with magnets in this manner. Great idea.:)

JMichael
03-18-2012, 01:17 PM
If I played SM, I might check out chapterhousestudios.com Tru-Scale Stormraven kit. Other that making the Storm Raven look less cartoony, it also includes a Dreadnought Harness. Which I think wold suit magnets very well.

http://chapterhousestudios.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=85_78&product_id=200

Aradielangelfire
03-19-2012, 07:41 AM
I will have to look into this. I currently have a stormraven that is magnetized in every way: think weapon swaps and landing gear up/down. However, I have been unable to make the dreadnought harness work. Thanks!

elmo.a69
03-19-2012, 12:54 PM
I hadn't considered using magnets for the landing gear but I did magnetized the turret systems. what size magnets did you use for the landing gear?

I made a special magnetized bar to run inside to hold the hurricane bolters on.

chewielight
03-19-2012, 10:48 PM
That's a great job. I will have to try it.

kingsfan2099
03-22-2012, 02:07 PM
That is a great idea as I have 2 dreads and 2 Storm Ravens to use in my Blood Angels army. Looks really cool.