PDA

View Full Version : Beating this GK army

Tepogue
03-15-2012, 12:15 PM
If you were going to face the below list in a tournament type setting, how would you beat it?

Draigo will make d3 of the dreads scoring, the pld will be hiding in the Storm Ravens for late game objective grabbing.

Draigo
Paladin
Paladin
Paladin
Venerable Psyriflemen
Venerable Psyriflemen
Stormraven (MM, TLPlasma Cannon)
Psyriflemen
Psyriflemen
Psyriflemen

If you were facing this army and you could choose between, Deathwing, Orks, IG or CSM what would you take against this?

celestialatc
03-15-2012, 12:24 PM
When you say Paladin, do you mean a unit of paladins with an unknown number of guys in it or just 1 paladin?

If it's the latter, you just need to beat him with anti tank. One paladin in a fight is not going to be that awesome. Sure they might be in the Stormravens and the stormravens will be going flatout but one good round of anti-tank shoot and he is done.

I think IG or a good CSM list would eat this GK knight list. And I know you don't have it listed but a Necron list or a DE venom list would eat this GK list.

DarkLink
03-15-2012, 12:33 PM
All he has are 3, single paladins and vehicles?

Of your options, Deathwing is the best. Cyclone Missile Launchers on everything, a couple TH/SSs per squad. That's it. No need for Land Raiders or stuff. Maybe a landspeeder or two with more missiles and a multi-melta or something, but overall it's a pretty solid list.

Then, pound him with missiles. The Storm Ravens are easy to take out with focused fire, and then the Paladins and Driago are pretty much worthless. Psyrifle Dreads can't really hurt you, they're mostly worthless against Terminators, so once you've finished with the Storm Ravens then it's any easy firefight.

Just remember to spread out so the plasma cannon doesn't hit multiple guys.

You can also play a Black Templars army with 3x 5 Terminators with Tank Hunters and 2 Cyclone Misssile Launchers each, 9 Land Speeders with CMLs, and two tactical squads for objectives. That's a lot of missiles, while still being Deathwing-like.

Tepogue
03-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Yes I'm thinking his idea is to dominate the local metawith large amounts of str 8+ shots. While being immune to anything below str 6 at the very least.
I'm actually bringing a Deathwing army up to date as we speak, but in my own custom colors, so possibily converting to black templars, is a possibility. . .

and yes, it's 3 single paladins, 1 model per squad.

IMHO this is kind of showing that 5th ed is allmost over, we have finally achieved armies that are the antithesis of what GW used to intend. Which was making people bring basic troops.

SaganGree
03-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Actually... I could see a DoA list eating this one quite easily... the only PWs you have in the army are on the ones that you don't want to get in combat and if anyone gets into CC with your dreads and has a PF... well...

DarkLink
03-15-2012, 04:37 PM
I'm actually bringing a Deathwing army up to date as we speak, but in my own custom colors, so possibily converting to black templars, is a possibility. . .

Make a custom Chapter, and use whatever rules you want at will. Then you can pick and choose armies at a whim.

Infinite Freedom
03-18-2012, 01:03 AM
Saturation of fire. Something will get through eventually. A good round of shooting from a Guard gunline will tear that army apart.

pyroclasm
03-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Does he honestly expect to win with that???

Deathwing or IG, heck, any army except maybe pure 1kson's has a very good chance of beating this army. If for some reason you can't win, it would be really easy to force a draw... The only annoying thing is probably scoring Ven Dreads.

Root
03-18-2012, 06:03 PM
IMO any decent power armor army should beat this list. Your Rhinos will all best dead in 2a turns but he really can't threaten the infantry. Shoot down the Ravens and just weather the annoying storm of Strength 8 but critically only AP4 shooting. Heck I'd happily take this army on with Battle Sisters and feel pretty confident.

Dwarflord17404
03-18-2012, 06:39 PM
GHAZ

Big mek KFF plus toys

2 mobs of 25 w/ nob

20 boys 2 rockts

grots

9 kans rockits

15 kommando w/ snickrot and 2 burna's

24 loota's

Javin
03-18-2012, 09:30 PM
Green tide would destroy this army. Too many bodies for this army to handle. Throw in lootas to take out the dreds and stormravens and you would have an easy victory.