PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Blade Particle Beamer: How many?

Necron2.0
03-15-2012, 12:57 AM
Tomb Blades come with two Tesla Carbines (twin linked). These can be swapped out for two Gauss Blasters (also twin linked). Additionally, these can be swapped for Particle Beamers (stress the "s").

OK, so how many is that, exactly? The entry is vague in this regard. I was hoping it'd be cleared up in the errata, but it wasn't. Given that the inference is a plurality of Particle Beamers, it could be assumed there are more than one. The exact composition is not even alluded to, however, unless you assume the original two twin linked weapons are swapped one for one with two non-twin linked weapons. However, that is an assumption, not a ruling. In the absence of something definitive it could be argued that there is only one Particle Beamer, which means the stressed "s" above is a typo. But is that a correct assumption?

What do you think?

Related to this, I will be very interested to see how this option is represented by the sprue bits of any upcoming Tomb Blade model.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
03-15-2012, 02:29 AM
I'm pretty sure it's plural since the entire unit's getting the upgrade. They exchange "Twin-linked Tesla Carbines" for "Twin-linked Gauss Blasters" or "Particle Beamers". It's plural since each member of the unit makes the exchange. Each model has one Twin-linked Tesla Carbine, which can be exchanged for one Particle Beamer.

Necron2.0
03-15-2012, 03:35 AM
OK, I'll go with that. The Codex seems to go back and forth with the syntax a bit. Just below the Tomb Blade entry it talks about exchanging a Gauss Cannon for a Heavy Gauss Cannon on Destroyers, but then in other entries it says "exchange <weapons> for <weapons>," so what you say sounds like the most rational interpretation.

To be honest, mostly I just wanted to make sure I wasn't screwing myself out of firepower. ;)

Tynskel
03-15-2012, 07:08 AM
It is just one particle beamer, and it is not twin-linked.

It doesn't need to be. I played a game where I had 4 of those boys--- they are awesome. I gave them the BS upgrade. Smashing hit with those blast templates.

AbusePuppy
03-15-2012, 07:45 AM
The reason for the difference in wording is that the ENTIRE unit of Tomb Blades must exchange their weapons- thus, they are listed in the plural, whereas Destroyers are upgraded on a model-by-model basis (and, indeed, you are limited in how many models in the unit you are even allowed to upgrade) and are thus listed in the singular.

It's a pretty good upgrade as long as you're keeping the squad size small so they aren't a tempting target for the enemy. I wouldn't ever bother with the Nebuloscope or Vanes, though.