PDA

View Full Version : Is 40k going to get big center piece models?

Tepogue
03-14-2012, 07:10 PM
I was just looking at the Warmahordes new Cossals models and if I read it correctly these will be integrated into the normal game. After reading this and looking at the Vampire Counts Coven Throne / Mortis Engine, I'm wondering if the next edition of 40k include bigger, centerpiece models. Ogre Kingdoms got the Ogre Kingdoms Thundertusk/Stonehorn. I suppose the Storm Raven might be in this class of models.

So what could GW include for each army that would be big?

Grenadier
03-14-2012, 07:16 PM
I was excited when GW began producing Banbeblades and Stompas. And so I had high hopes other biggies would follow. Like the Thunderhawk and Titans. I'd love to see the Reaver released through GW. But at least they could make the Warhound. That Titan seems reasonable enough. And if they ever release Squiggoths I'd consider building an Ork army.

darthslowe
03-14-2012, 07:19 PM
They've been going in the direction of bigger kits for quite a while now. The Trygon/Mawlock kit for the Tyranids is pretty big, the Grey Knights got the Dreadknight, Blood Angels have the Stormraven. These models may not be as big as some of the new things for Fantasy, but in a game that is already populated with tanks it's hard to make really huge things without getting out of proportion with the board.

wittdooley
03-14-2012, 07:31 PM
I was excited when GW began producing Banbeblades and Stompas. And so I had high hopes other biggies would follow. Like the Thunderhawk and Titans. I'd love to see the Reaver released through GW. But at least they could make the Warhound. That Titan seems reasonable enough. And if they ever release Squiggoths I'd consider building an Ork army.

I think you underestimate how large a Warhound actually is.... I can feasibly see a thunder hawk "someday" in plastic because of the number of straight edges. Can't see a Warhound ever happening.

As for show pieces... Really? Most GW vehicle kits are larger than these proposed Colossals. If they start to do s'more plastic flyers, it will be even more so. There are plenty of "showcase" models already available from GW, even more from FW.

Grenadier
03-14-2012, 07:36 PM
I've seen pics of it comparing its scale with other models, so I know its huge. But so what? Size matters! At least that's what the ladies tell me.

wittdooley
03-14-2012, 07:56 PM
I've seen pics of it comparing its scale with other models, so I know its huge. But so what? Size matters! At least that's what the ladies tell me.

I'd love for them to do some Knight titans. Now that would be boss.

Grenadier
03-14-2012, 07:59 PM
The Knights were the smallest Titans armed with only one weapon right?

plasticaddict
03-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Knights would rock, essentially oversize dreadnoughts.

Tepogue
03-14-2012, 09:34 PM
The Knights were the smallest Titans armed with only one weapon right?

The Knights were basically just huge dreadnoughts, usually armed with 1 ranged and 1 close combat weapon. The had a single human mpilot which kinda makes them odd in the 40k mythos. But in Titan Legions, several varients were released.

I have not seen a size comparision with the Warmahordes collossals, just saw the mentioned 130-140$ price tag, and thinking if PP is doing it and GW has already shown a tendancy towards larger kits, that we may see something.

Chaos - a bigger meaner Demon Engine
Guard - inclusion of the Baneblade in normal games
SM - really don't know what they could add.
Eldar - Some larger Wraith constructs

Grenadier
03-14-2012, 09:43 PM
A Knight sounds like a possible scratchbuilt project. I'd imagine making one of them would be much easier than making a larger Titan. I wonder, are those new Collossals metal or plastic?

memnarch_129
03-14-2012, 11:43 PM
The Colossals are mix kits (Plastic/Resin with some White Metal bits). I could actually see someone "borrowing" the Menoth Colossal to use as a knight titan. As for their size they will make most 40k vehicles look smaller. PP commented that the Conquest (Khadoran Colossal) that its as wide as the Legion of Everblight battle engine is high (somewhere between 6 and 8 inches). As they go on a 5 inch base and most of the pics/art make them look as though they are going to be hanging over the only 40k vehicles comparable in size are things like the Stormraven, The Monolith, or possible even a Baneblade.

Dalleron
03-14-2012, 11:48 PM
Going by what you have all described a knight titan as, does not the GK dreadknight fit that bill? I've read Mechanicus, and upon seeing the new Dreadknight, i was like "that's a knight titan to me".

Maybe a little work to enclose the pilot, because that's where I think the model would fail at being a knight titan.

Yriel_The_Angelic
03-15-2012, 12:06 AM
40k already had (also currently has) massive centerpiece models....just go to forgeworld and have fun ;D

Dalleron
03-15-2012, 12:10 AM
I really hope that GW stays away from what the OP is talking about. Everything that is in regular 40K fits pretty well in the game as it stands, the larger trygon and what not push that enevelope in my eyes. If they put out new rules that accomodate the larger things, then it may be good for the game. I think that WHFB has gotten out of hand with their rules and blingy show pieces, some of which are tempting to attempt to paint.

wittdooley
03-15-2012, 12:17 AM
Going by what you have all described a knight titan as, does not the GK dreadknight fit that bill? I've read Mechanicus, and upon seeing the new Dreadknight, i was like "that's a knight titan to me".

Maybe a little work to enclose the pilot, because that's where I think the model would fail at being a knight titan.

Yup. Probably the closest thing that exists. My Warhound is about 11 inches talk. The contempor is about 3. If they were to do knight titans, I'd think 5-7 inches would be appropriate.

Knights typically run in lances of 3-5 and their pilots are usually younger, less augmented mechanicus agents. I'm buying another Warhound because they run in pairs always, so you can bet your sweet booty I'd get about 4 knights if they made them.

iheartgrimdark
03-15-2012, 12:49 AM
Knights would kick ***! Two plastic knights and a plastic warhound? Hell yeah!

fuzzbuket
03-15-2012, 01:23 AM
collossals are not that big,

warjack = thunderwolf in size so im guessing collossals are about the size of a mawlock........ and 15x the price :L

-fuzz

miteyheroes
03-15-2012, 04:36 AM
Knight Titans are large 1-man walkers. Their epic scale models were about the size of a 40k infantry model - so scaling up I'd say they're about 6 inches high? Twice the height of a dreadnought, half the height of a warhound...
In Epic the Imperials, Chaos and Eldar all had knights - Orks had stompas, Tyranids had various big bugs.

A dreadknight or the new FW decimator would make a small one, an upright defiler a larger one. Another good conversion technique is to use the blood slaughterer's torso.
They should have vaguely face-like heads: sentinel cockpits, bits of defiler claw-armour and Inquisitor-scale Space Marine helmets have both been used to good effect.

I'm currently converting knight titans for my Mechanicus army, and looking for ideas for more. I'm collecting links to other people's converted knight titans here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=248882 - if you want to see some beautiful models, that has all the links you need!

I would be overjoyed if GW made official models for them, but there's lots of conversion opportunities already.

victorpofa
03-15-2012, 04:41 AM
I would totally buy Knights if released in plastic.

wittdooley
03-15-2012, 07:13 AM
This is probably about the right scale:

http://www.cold-moon.com/40k/Miniatures/AdMech/KnightPaladin/KnightAssembled%20(3).JPG

On crew sizes:

Knight - 1 Crew, Pilot Only.
Warhound - 5 Crew, 1 Princeps, 2 Operandi, 2 Slaved Weapon Servitors
Reaver - 10ish Crew (1 Princeps, 4 Operandi, 4 Slaved Weapon Servitors, 1 On Board Tech Priest)
Warlord - No Idea. Lots I'd presume, as I believe they also house a garrison of Skiterati
Imperator - It's a freaking city.

miteyheroes
03-15-2012, 10:56 AM
This is probably about the right scale:

Who made that?

thereverend
03-15-2012, 02:20 PM
looking at the new FW chaos war machine, knight titans could be feasable. Not sure where they would fit in teh armies though... to all imperial forces get them? would all imperial and traitor human forces get them?

Frostclaw
03-22-2012, 04:37 AM
I think the trouble with a Knight coming down the pipe is the variety we've seen over the years.

I mean, how many different patterns of Knight were there? How many different weapon fits? You'd basically either need the Titan or dread sculptors at FW to take a year off, or worse, you might need both to get the scaling right. And I don't know about you, but I like what both teams are presently doing.

Obergrot
03-22-2012, 05:12 AM
well, 40k has some big kits already, but:
- there are massive amounts of tanks (as it is)
- Land Raider
- Storm Raven
- Tyranids
- Ork Tanks (Scratch build battle waggons in form of a stompa)

so, there are already big centerpieces, but i don't think there will be more of them. They are then in Apocalypse games (which look nice most of the time)

Mystery.Shadow
03-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Only problem with these new huge models is that it's rare to see one fully painted on the tabletop.

And when was the last time you saw a fully-painted Apocalypse game??

kingsfan2099
03-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Being a Blood Angels player I would love to have a Thunderhawk flanked by 2 or 3 little brother Storm Ravens, however the 600+ dollar price tag from Forgeworld is a little steep for me.

Mordikaar
03-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Thunderhawks and warhounds would be a exciting direction for GW to go. If only they would

Rissan4ever
03-22-2012, 02:17 PM
well, 40k has some big kits already, but:
- there are massive amounts of tanks (as it is)
- Land Raider
- Storm Raven
- Tyranids
- Ork Tanks (Scratch build battle waggons in form of a stompa)

so, there are already big centerpieces, but i don't think there will be more of them. They are then in Apocalypse games (which look nice most of the time)

Don't forget the Valkyrie/Vendetta and Monolith.

Zarryiosiad
03-22-2012, 04:20 PM
I was just looking at the Warmahordes new Cossals models and if I read it correctly these will be integrated into the normal game. After reading this and looking at the Vampire Counts Coven Throne / Mortis Engine, I'm wondering if the next edition of 40k include bigger, centerpiece models.

Unfortunately, this really does seem to be the case. There is a place in 40k for large models, but not in a standard game. That's why the introduction of Apocalypse was such a breath of fresh air. With Apocalypse being a separate but equal game, you can have your cake and eat it too. I used to be a Fantasy player, but I quit with 8th edition simply because of the ridiculousness of the new models and rules. A Coven Throne? Really?

The Baneblade/Shadowsword kit and the Ork Stompa are proof-positive that large-scale models can be done, and done right. Forgeworld models such as the Contemptor and the new Decimator, while not on the scale of the Baneblade, are also excellent examples of creating a centerpiece model without stepping over the line into the absurd.

It remains to be seen what will happen with 6th edition, but I'm betting that each army will indeed get a large centerpiece model. Whether or not that will be a good thing remains to be seen.

Zarryiosiad

pathwinder14
03-23-2012, 05:39 AM
ummm...GW started this whole process of large models. HAve we all forgot the Necron Monolith? When it came out it was the largest model GW produced. Most armies have some sort of large model centerpiece already. Just look at WFB. In 40k it would be:
Stormraven - BA and GK
Dreadknight - GK
Monolith - Necrons
Stompa - Orks
Baneblade - IG, marines, chaos
Razorwing - Dark Eldar
Trygon Prime, Mawloc, Tervigon - Niids
? - Eldar

Mr_E
03-23-2012, 07:15 AM
Maybe I'm a little behind on my fluff here, but how is a baneblade (something piloted, commanded and maintained by the imperial guard) a space marine centerpiece? Arguably, you could say the landraider is ours, but really there is a BIG gap between a landraider and a baneblade.

Turner
03-23-2012, 07:34 AM
I think the day GW releases a giant center piece model... it will be the Apocalypse! Eh eh, no but seriously I will be pretty bad like the apocalypse because it will probably be fine cast...

eldargal
03-23-2012, 07:42 AM
As I'm sure has already been said, the new big plastic kits WFB getting are to bring it in line ith the many large, multusprue plastic kits 40k armies get. From leman russ to the stompa kits like this were something that were relatively rare in fantasy armies.

Spectral Dragon
03-23-2012, 08:29 AM
If we are going to talk apocalypse lets not forget the Pylon for necrons.

Also, the truly big model for space marines is the expensive Thunderhawk.

In terms of regular game, I can actually see a use for a few of the larger kits, but only if they are the only thing you are taking.

MajorWesJanson
03-24-2012, 12:20 AM
I think the trouble with a Knight coming down the pipe is the variety we've seen over the years.

I mean, how many different patterns of Knight were there? How many different weapon fits? You'd basically either need the Titan or dread sculptors at FW to take a year off, or worse, you might need both to get the scaling right. And I don't know about you, but I like what both teams are presently doing.

I'd start with Paladins and Errants, as the design from the Titan Legions era. Similar in design, just slightly different legs, back kibble, and weapon loadouts. Paladin had a Battle Cannon and roughly a DCCW, while the Errant had a Melta Cannon and a Shock Lance.