View Full Version : books novels and the like

planet psyrum
03-14-2012, 03:47 PM
What should the first 40k novel i should read? Horus Rising ?

XionXxen
03-14-2012, 05:59 PM
I think the Horus Heresy series is the best thing the Black Library has produced. At first it seems like they are stretching the story but almost every book I've read is well written and seems rich and a story in their own right.

b-man
03-14-2012, 06:29 PM
Horus Rising is a good start.

imperialsavant
03-14-2012, 06:31 PM
:) Well it really depends on what your main interests are.
Space Marines, IG, Xenos etc or just the back story of the Heresy.

From a writing standpoint I would recommend anything by Dan Abnett or Sandy Mitchell.
If you are into learning about the Heresy then start the series with book One.

If you want a good ongoing Guard series you cant go past the Gaunts Ghost series & then if you want something with lots of very clever humour yet with intense battle scenes get the first Caiphus Cain
novel "For the Emperor" by Sandy Mitchell & I guarentee you will want all the rest of the Series.

SotonShades
03-15-2012, 02:50 AM
Really does depend on what exactly you want to read about. Can't go too far wrong with imperialsavant's advice, but I'd also like to add in the Last Chancer's Novels if you can get hold of them (13th Legion, Kill Team then Annhilation Squad) and Soul Hunter was a pretty good read as well.

In terms of value for money, I'd strongly consider getting one of the omnibus books. Then again, if you find you don't like the auther's style, you could find yourself struggling through 3 books and a couple of short stories rather than having a great tome you struggle to put down.

Colonel Bindoff
03-15-2012, 03:45 AM
The first three Horus Heresy books are a great start. Great story, good writing, really added to the setting for me. Like reading up on history to better understand the present. I'd also strongly recommend the gaunt's ghosts series. Probably the most consistently good 40k book series.

benzo12
03-15-2012, 08:02 AM
The first book I read was the Assault on black reach novella back when I was first getting into the hobby, I quite liked it as an action book and it's a quick read, but if you're more interested in characters than gunfights I would go with Something by Dan Abnett, his books are mostly serious and he can write some really wonderful characters. I can't recommend Ciaphas Cain enough, but I would read some other books first until you get a better grip on the general lore of the 40k world.

Mr. Furious
03-15-2012, 06:16 PM
My first BL book was a 40k era book about the army was playing heavily at the time. Its really easy to get hooked on BL when you're reading about your army.

After the 1st one anything in the Horus Heresy series is almost a sure winner.

Soups
03-15-2012, 06:20 PM
I recommend Eisenhorn. It's what got me into the warhammer novels. I read the Blood Angels Omnibus as my first into into 40k....bad, so bad.

If you just want a one shot intro into the Heresy, the biggest moment in the 40kverse, read The First Heretic. It explains what the heck chaos does/is and wtf the Eldar were doing.

Malok1013
03-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Yeah Horus Rising is pretty good. I've found Dan Abnett to be a very good author, and would recommend pretty much anything by him.

newtoncain
03-15-2012, 06:36 PM
The 1st Gaunt's Ghosts triligy, $15 you can't go wrong.

The AKH
03-15-2012, 10:26 PM
I'd recommend the Eisenhorn and/or Ravenor omnibi as good places to start in the big bad world of BL fiction as a whole. Though if you do intend to read the Horus Heresy at some point, Horus Rising is a good start as well.

nimrod451
03-16-2012, 04:22 AM
I too really enjoyed Ravenor and Eisenhorn - Dan Abbnet writes pretty accessible Warhammer stuff.. Brotherhood of the Snake is one of my favorits too.. I'd say most of the stuff by him is gold to read.

herigonz
03-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Definitely the Horus Heresy to set the background to the entire 40K universe as it is now. But in order to get a better feel for "current day" type action, the novella for Assault on Black Reach is definitely a good one. I just started a short story that is the pre-cursor to the Salamanders books which has been a good read thus far. Short and sweet.

Gorechilde
03-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Just going to echo what others have said...The Ravenor and Eisenhorn series are good.Double Eagle is good. Of course the first three Horus Heresy are also good. I've read and reread them about 8 times each.

AnEnemy
03-17-2012, 02:00 AM
The first Ciaphas Cain Omnibus.(Hero of the Imperium I believe) Because it's best to first approach the Black Library with a sense of humor. You have to sift through quite a few turds to find the gold.