PDA

View Full Version : Vostroyans

Schlitzaf
03-13-2012, 07:08 PM
when did they come out? and is there any particularly unique organizational thing about them which them apart from other regiments or was it just fluff
I'm standing at around 1750-1850ish points and wondering what unique perks/units Vostroyans were known for.

Mr.Pickelz
03-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Vostroyan came out with Cities of Death expansion, and came to fame by getting wiped out by the Tau. Their home world sends each firstborn child off to the IG as mandatory, Their rifles are considered family heirlooms so it can be said that the rifle is worth quite a bit more than the lives of their wielders. As far as i know their mostly platoons not too many tanks and such, so a balanced army list would suit well with them.

lobster-overlord
03-13-2012, 10:17 PM
They had no special rules that I am aware of. They had a limited number of model poses, and thus do require a good bit of conversion for some lists. No melta, multi-melta, autocannon, missile launcher and some others. There are tons of images of conversions out there. If I can recover my HD on my old computer this week, I'll try to post some of my favorite links.

plasticaddict
03-13-2012, 11:43 PM
Pretty much just standard IG troopers, although you can easily run them as veteran troopers and attach them to your existing army. I have a friend who runs a Pratorian infantry based army but uses a squad of Vostroyans as Veterans, a single platoon of Mordians with some Tallaran and Valhallan crewed tanks. Makes for a neat looking army as it fits the fluff of the survivors of several IG regiments being reformed into an ad-hoc regiment and sent back into action.

lobster-overlord
03-14-2012, 09:55 AM
I've done the opposite to that about Vets. I use vostroyans as line platoons, steel legion as vets, kasrkins as stormtroopers, cadians as some other line troops and conscripts, and iKore/Urban Mammoth Veridians as Conscripts/Noobs.

Unifying them with a common paint scheme can make any of the IG blend well. The fatigues are all the same from each unit, and the Kasrkin armour is painted like the leather jackets of the SL and armor of Vos.

The HW teams arn't too hard to convert into other teams, and I've used extra medics and loaders to make unique trooper models.

Rissan4ever
03-14-2012, 10:11 AM
when did they come out? and is there any particularly unique organizational thing about them which them apart from other regiments or was it just fluff
I'm standing at around 1750-1850ish points and wondering what unique perks/units Vostroyans were known for.
There's nothing special about Vostroyan regimental organization or tactics. They only thing special about them is their pretty lasguns and silly hats.

Kevlarshark
03-14-2012, 10:41 AM
The Vos' rules were based on the previous IG codex where they had the "die hard" (stubborn) "hardened fighter" +1 WS and "grenader" (4+ carapace armour) Doctrines...

The only way to do a similar force now is to use veterans with carapace armour with commisars and perhaps priests to give a CC boost (re roll to hit rather than +1 WS).

George Labour
03-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Vostroyans were the IG regiment released for the Medusa IV world wide campaign much as the Steel Legion were released for the Armageddon campaign. Though I do beleive Cities of Death was either release right as that began or shortly thereafter.

Kevlarshark more or less is spot on with how they were handled in 4th and how to represent them in 5th edition.

Me personally I just use them as veterans without to many upgrades. I use their General's model as a counts as Straken (he's almost 100% WYSWG for the job) and the regular models as Veterans for any list I use. Though this did require me to gussy up six of the squads for the times I run a infantry heavy force where I use my full 15 squads of these spiffy hat wearing chaps.

Schlitzaf
03-14-2012, 07:18 PM
So a infantry heavy force would be fluffly for them? (proberly going post the list I am using today or tomorrow.)

Thanks for the replies :)