PDA

View Full Version : Battle College warning

Greggle
03-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Hey everyone, I've been looking around, and I see a lot of you are recommending Battle College but I want to remind you that they are often wrong about the Trollbloods and they haven't responded to my change requests from months ago. Please take their advice with a grain of salt.

ElectricPaladin
03-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Can you elaborate on the mistakes they've made? Also, it's a wiki that anyone is free to join - why don't you just sign up and fix it yourself, or at least add a dissenting voice? Lots of articles are clearly a combination of several points of view.

Kasil
03-13-2012, 08:47 PM
Say it aint so! I have been spending a lot of time over there trying to learn other factions.

Jack-Hammer
03-13-2012, 09:45 PM
I've found the battle college to be a great resource. Its not completely infallible but 90% of it is good stuff.

muffinman331
03-19-2012, 09:05 AM
I have found Battle college to be an awesome resource. I would definitely agree to take anything you read with a grain of salt, though. For building your own army, Battle college is a nice first step, but it is often better to talk to other players from your faction online or in person. and of course trying your own stuff.

On the other hand, it is perfect for getting a quick low-down on enemy factions. It is much harder to dig through a forum for info when all you want to know is what unit X is and what combos to watch for. I find it to be a great way to quickly research new enemies, or to reference when reading battle reports from unfamiliar armies.

The one thing I dislike about Battle college is how extreme their views are on models. you will often see comments that make a unit look like the most amaxing unit ever made, or complete trash. There are very few units that have an unbiased, middle of the road opinion written about them. Battle college made me believe early on that pHexeris was one of the best models in the Skorne army, and that Rhinodons are complete junk. I don't believe either of those opinions now.

MiketheLurker
03-20-2012, 01:10 AM
Battle College can be a good start to learn about each faction, mainly for the list of abilities on each model. But yes, they do tend to be extreme in their views on quite a few models.

Kur0n
03-20-2012, 02:10 AM
Battle college represent!! Am I right?

DariusMacab
03-20-2012, 07:26 AM
Battle Colledge has some good info on Cryx and Everblights, the
Two armies am interested in. Apart from that I don't know.

DM

under
03-20-2012, 02:16 PM
You get what you pay for.

While it's a horrible resource for learning the wording of rules I find it's a great for learning which rules models have.

I ceratinly would not buy the faction books for what I do not play so it gives me what I find most important for free.

Chuck777
03-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Its a wiki, so you can register and then edit the posts! :)

I find the battle college to be a good metric of the community's feelings on particular units. However, everyone's play style is different, so what works for a majority of players may not work for you, and vice versa. :)

Dyrnwyn
03-20-2012, 06:57 PM
As noted, Battle College is a wiki. I've made some contributions myself, improving some of the pages, but I don't play every faction or ever unit in my factions. The wiki needs people who do use those units need to join up and write what is good about them for any change to come about. If you've had different experiences or unique combos to mention, go put them up.

As others have noted, it's not the place to go to find out the wording of rules, but it gives a general idea of capabilities, and lists what rules the models do have.

Greggle
03-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Huh, I knew it was a wiki, but it still doesn't allow me to make changes. Many of the entries are very opinionated, so I thought that it was a small team of writers. Well, hopefully it gets better with age.

Dyrnwyn
03-21-2012, 06:43 PM
It's a Wikispaces wiki, so you need to have a wikispaces account and join the wiki so it can track your changes. Sign up if you'd like to alter some articles.

ersatzgnomes
03-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Hey everyone, I've been looking around, and I see a lot of you are recommending Battle College but I want to remind you that they are often wrong about the Trollbloods and they haven't responded to my change requests from months ago. Please take their advice with a grain of salt.

it's on the internet, and it can be edited by about anyone, it can't possibly be wrong

ElectricPaladin
03-22-2012, 12:30 AM
I gotta say, I think we've been posting in a troll thread. Mysterious OP posts mysteriously... never returns to back up his claims... I dunno. I kind of want us to let this die.

Pudgeinabowl
03-22-2012, 04:48 AM
Battle college is a very opinionated wiki, it's good for getting a general idea of what a model/unit does, but not much more than that. Most forums aren't much better.

Success with a model/unit depends largely on your meta and your own abilities.

Also noone should believe anything they read on the internet over what first hand experience tells them (wargaming wise).

RoninXiC
03-22-2012, 07:42 AM
the college had been great for me during the first weeks of the hobby. It doesn't really matter if some of the advice are wrong or semi-wrong. You'll learn all about the true power and abilities of things only by playing the game over and over again.

Korwen
03-22-2012, 10:17 AM
I find that Battle College is useful, but they could be a bit more, critical, in their review of models.

Lets just say they see the glass half-full on a lot of models I disagree with. If I were a new player I wouldn't buy based on their recommendations, instead I'd just do what most people suggest and that's play a ton of battlebox games.

cody
03-22-2012, 02:08 PM
It's not a troll thread.

WM is a game where the difference between basic things like "within" vs "completely within", or "model" vs "model/unit" is really important, and battlecollege gets those kinds of basics wrong really often. The eVlad page for instance confuses damage versus damage from an enemy attack.

I've heard of people's corrections getting reverted, and I've really got no interest in "contributing" to that kind of a situation.

You're much better off reading the actual rules, carefully, and drawing your own conclusions. Use the official rules forum if something is unclear.