PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new army

Dubledox
03-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Hey guys! I'm starting up a new army once I get my student loans for the summer in a couple of months. I'm torn between the tyranids and the grey knights. The tyranids look so cool, I love their background and the new models are amazing. The grey knights are likewise very cool, lots of lists work for them and they're pretty competitive right now. Any thoughts on which one I should start?

I've been out of the 40k scene for about 6 months now so I'm pretty clueless on what's good for the grey knights, except that Psybolt dreads are ridiculous. I've also heard that the Nids codex pretty much blows.

My favorite armies are Eldar and Orks if that helps. I like a good deal of finesse in my armies (I have an odd ork list that doesn't rely on numbers :P)

Diagnosis Ninja
03-11-2012, 12:54 PM
People will say that Grey Knights are more competitive and easier to build up a force in terms of cost, while Tyranids are more expensive and less competitive.

Still, it comes down to your personal preference, and your local environment.

If you prefer the look of Tyranids, and don't expect an "I WIN!" button, then go for them. I've always enjoyed them, and if I had a couple of hundred pounds to build an army of them I would.

FortheEmperor!
03-11-2012, 01:37 PM
I've been out of the 40k scene for about 6 months now so I'm pretty clueless on what's good for the grey knights, except that Psybolt dreads are ridiculous.
Imperial Guard are good for grey knights. I.G. is still very strong and in my opinion still the strongest codex out there.

My favorite armies are Eldar and Orks if that helps. I like a good deal of finesse in my armies (I have an odd ork list that doesn't rely on numbers :P) Then never mind Imperial Guard!! They are not an auto-win, and all armies take practice if you want to do well against skilled players. I suggest choosing an army not based on the ability to win, but on how you like the look, feel, and story. Just like you seem to be doing. I love Space Wolves because you can have such diverse character and characters in that army. The models are great and lend themselves to great conversions. PLEASE OH PLEASE do not field 3 Long Fang Missile Launcher squads! Of course it is very killy, but it is also DUMB from a fluff point of view (in my opinion). Blood Angels are also very good and allow a wide variety of army lists that perform well. All jumpers, lots of dreads, lots of predators, razorspam, etc...I like a more balanced approach. Combine various elements and don't forget about the AWESOME Stormraven Gunship!!! Carries two units and one is a Dreadnought? WOW! I don't know much about Dark Eldar but they have many styles of lists, wyches, venom-spam, wracks, flying skateboards (Hellions) etc... plus they have the fighter and bomber aircraft...!! Who could forget the new Necrons? Great new models, cool vehicles, unusual rules and great synergy.

You have a lot of great choices...You can hardly go wrong with any army, depending on what you like...

LordMcSpank
03-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Maybe try to kit-bash your way into a new army. If you have a bunch of spare bits lying around, just try swapping bodies/heads/weapons until you come up with a basic concept for the army. Don't be afraid to use fantasy bits either, you can get some really awesome looking combinations.

Whatever you can come up with, you can pretty much find a codex to fit your play style. Personally I'm working on an army that uses the BA codex, but no actual blood angels models, save for the shoulder pads with the teardrop insignia, but the details are classified information :-)

(TV)
03-11-2012, 07:14 PM
You would get lots of browny points for doing 'nids, and although they are not meta now 6th could turn that all on its head : so if you like them more conceptually, roll with it!

Regards,
TV

makkeru
03-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Gene stealer cult? Plsy them as nids, orks or IG :) Three in one, can't ne bad?

Dubledox
03-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the advice guys! I think I'm going to slowly build up a nids army based off that sweet new Tervy, Tyrannofex kit. :D

Levitas
03-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Nids get my vote too. Awesome range of models and the new stuff is stunning. I feel 6th ed will show them more love too.

Mr. Furious
03-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Hate to be a buzzkill but my recommendation is to hold off on anything new and wait until 6th Edition drops in a few months and see what changes come with it.

If you're on a tight budget you don't have the option to change/replace things you bought in the final months of 5th Edition when 6th will be arriving so soon.

wittdooley
03-15-2012, 08:13 PM
Yeah. I wouldn't exactly advise using student loans to pay for a warhammer army either......

triplare
03-15-2012, 08:57 PM
I'd say go GK if you have limited funds, since you can buy fewer models worth more points. They're pretty boss right now and will probably hold up well over the long run. Personally I think 'Nids are decent right now but will probably do really well in 6th edition when it drops. Plus I'm an avid Tyranid player and love our 'underdog' army...so yea, Tyranids...good choice!

elmo.a69
03-17-2012, 03:09 PM
I think that you should flip a coin. Ihave a friend that has been playing nids since he started in '99 and I have grey knights. Grey knights are a strong head to head army and with the use of the stormraven are fast and dangerous across the field. Then of cource there is the rifleman dread for hideous long range support.

Tyranid on the other hand and a little sneakier. 50% of the army can use the outflank rule to get right to the enemy. This will reduce the amount of rounds they recieve along the way. Genestealers on the charge are a bad day for grey knights because of the initiative and rending. A Carnifex or brood make for a good distraction for the enemies heavy weapons while you bide your time.

I hope this helps.

Kaiserdean
03-17-2012, 10:40 PM
I'd choose Nids and make a ton of conversions. I'd make them all like mini Cthulhus...

Dubledox
03-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Thanks for more input guys. I've decided to just wait until my Eldar or Orks get updated. Orks already satisfy my need to spam lots of tiny units, and I do pretty well with them. Definitely agree with waiting til 8th ed hits.

Jetforce
03-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Or even wait for the 6th edition box set? You'll get the rule book, dice and all the stuff. Not sure what armies are going to be on it, rumors says either chaos, maybe DE?

Wolf Lord Zig
03-21-2012, 07:17 PM
I agree with Mr. Furious as it may not be the best time to get into the game but don't let that stop you if thats what you want to do. Nid's are always a good army and you can mob with that army. Eldar are still one of the most underated armies in 5th. as my brother usually dominates with his Eldar. Just my humble opinions.

ersatzgnomes
03-21-2012, 07:26 PM
why not use student loans for warhammer? Nothing says financial responsibility like paying 6.8% interest on your army instead of 20-30% on most major credit cards!

BTW- If you kitbash bugs, I'd like to see something outrageous like bugs/lizardmen kitbash

Drunkencorgimaster
03-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Tyranid on the other hand and a little sneakier. 50% of the army can use the outflank rule to get right to the enemy.

Say what? Am I missing something in the Codex?

bubblehearthz
03-21-2012, 09:22 PM
Always always allllways pick the army you like the best. If you play for pure competition (unless you are into that) you will grow to resent the army you play.