PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on starting Circle?

Tenbears
03-10-2012, 09:10 PM
I like the look of the new Circle of Orboros models and I'm considering starting Hordes. Can anyone give me an overview of their playstyle? Also, what are the best buys after the starter box?

Mr.Pickelz
03-10-2012, 09:59 PM
From what i'm told, the best buy after the Battlebox is another warlock, P-Kaya is seen as underpowered in comparison to the entire range of other Warlocks. Baldur and epic Kaya are good choices and Kromac can be fun.

Jack-Hammer
03-11-2012, 01:13 AM
Circle are my main hordes faction, I would define their play style as magic orientated, and manipulation/control. Their beasts can change your style considerably as the living beasts are generally glass cannons where as the constructs are pretty good tanks. The circle casters are magic orientated, you wont find many circle casters who can wade into combat (but there are a couple).

The first decision you should probably make is whether you most like the constructs or the living beasts. If your keen on the living beasts I'd start with the Battle Box; pKaya is a powerful caster at small point levels, but by the time your playing 25pts she is ineffective. If you prefer the constructs then I'd recommend missing the battle box and go straight to pBaldur with a few Wolds.
I will assume your interested in the living beasts and are getting the battle box. For your next purchases you could not go wrong by getting a Gorax. The Gorax is often chosen as a support beast, mostly for its animus, but when you need something boxed a primaled feral warp wolf will be pretty assured.

The next best purchases would be a set of:
a new caster (eKaya would be a good choice as all the models pKaya uses also work well with her),
shifting stones with unit attachment,
druid wilder,
and a unit (two good choices are either druids or bloodtrackers with Naula both different units but excellent at what they do)

By this point you'll be able to play 25pts games with a few choices and what you'd purchase next would entirely depend on your individual playstyle. But those models mentioned would see a lot of use.

Also read the Battle College Mkii pages for more information, its a great resource.

Goblin
03-11-2012, 12:18 PM
I like the look of the new Circle of Orboros models and I'm considering starting Hordes. Can anyone give me an overview of their playstyle? Also, what are the best buys after the starter box?

I'd pick up a Gorax. To be honest, if you haven't already bought it, I'd pass on the starter box entirely. You don't need two Argii. Go on Ebay and pick up a few starter models. Chances are you will get a better deal.

Marshal_Wilhelm
03-12-2012, 12:16 AM
Thoughts on starting Circle, eh?

*strokes chin*

Well, when you argue with them you'll never get anywhere and also it's really hard to corner them.

Trojankiller
03-12-2012, 02:25 AM
I have played a few games with circle using Kaya and then E-Kaya. I have to say that Kaya is very lacking but E-Kaya is both fun to play and potentially very powerful. I also agree that the start box is very meh, You are probably better off just picking up E-Kaya and a Warpwolf kit.

ElectricPaladin
03-12-2012, 11:20 AM
I can't recommend Battle College enough. Practically everything I know about my factions of choice (Cygnar and Everblight) is informed by careful reading of Battle College.

cody
03-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Take battlecollege with a grain (no, not a grain, a heaping tablespoon) of salt. You're much better off reading the faction book and drawing your own conclusions, there are lots of mistakes on the wiki.

Xess
03-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Thoughts on starting Circle, eh?

*strokes chin*

Well, when you argue with them you'll never get anywhere and also it's really hard to corner them.

They're pretty round about too!

Greggle
03-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Battle College is often wrong about things, so be careful.

I would recommend skipping the battlebox entirely, since many people don't like the Argus or pKaya. I recommend pKreuger as a first warlock with a Feral or Stalker Warpwolf, a Woldwarden and a Gorax, but you are probably going to have more fun if you just pick up your favorite looking models. If you want to use mostly constructs, pick up pBaldur, Megalith, a WoldGuardian and a box of Druids.

Marshal_Wilhelm
03-14-2012, 12:43 AM
They're pretty round about too!

:D

I also think that when facing them, you might as well start anywhere, as they'll be the same at any other point ^^,

Xess
03-15-2012, 09:41 PM
I'm also thinking of starting a Circle army, and start playing warmahordes. I've read up quite a bit on the faction so I understand how most of their warlocks, beasts, etc. work (well as much as I can without every actually playing the game), but I'm debating about whether I should buy the battle box or not. Most of the online community seems to think that pKaya is not very good in the long run and the second argus is unnecessary, and it is advised to replace it with a Gorax. I'm tight on money So I don't really want to buy any models I'm never going to use. Who knows, maybe I'll like pKaya and continue playing her at higher point levels, but if I'm going to end up replacing half the units the battle box comes with then I don't see the point in buying it.
Thoughts/advice much appreciated!

Dyrnwyn
03-16-2012, 07:42 PM
I didn't start with the battlebox. It will cost you more money, but you don't need to start with pKaya. I wanted to play sticks and stones, so I spent about $130 on my starting force - and it got me a rulebook, pBaldur, and a 25 point list. If you are more interested in the stone guys, there's a fan-built equivalent for the starter box - pBaldur, a Wold Warden and a Wold Guardian is a 12 point list, and mostly equivalent to the Khador starter.

Really, the Circle starter isn't bad for someone looking to just dip their toes in, but if you are looking to actually start playing, you're going to want the rulebook eventually anyway, and you'll probably expand beyond the battlebox.

Xess
03-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the advice! I'm rather torn between going beast or constructs, I like both styles so probably a mix of both? Which casters are best for that? From what I've gathered Mohsar and Cassius seem to cater to both types of warbeasts. Again, because money is tight I think i'll start at battlebox (about 12 points?) or 15 point level and if I enjoy it move up to 25. I'm also thinking I'd like an army that can be used effectively by multiple warlocks without having to swap out too many units. So basically field more or less the same army, but be able to change the style by only swapping 'locks, is that possible?

Dyrnwyn
03-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the advice! I'm rather torn between going beast or constructs, I like both styles so probably a mix of both? Which casters are best for that? From what I've gathered Mohsar and Cassius seem to cater to both types of warbeasts. Again, because money is tight I think i'll start at battlebox (about 12 points?) or 15 point level and if I enjoy it move up to 25. I'm also thinking I'd like an army that can be used effectively by multiple warlocks without having to swap out too many units. So basically field more or less the same army, but be able to change the style by only swapping 'locks, is that possible?

If you want to field an army that can be used equally well by multiple Warlocks, you won't really be building to battlebox level, which is usually 11-12 points and a low FURY warlock. At 11 points, someone like Mohsar will have to leave the heavies at home to try and keep his Fury generation up, and as soon as he loses one, be unable to fully regain Fury without cutting himself.

Also, doing the 'same army, multiple warlocks thing means you probably won't want to take Kaya or Baldur. Kaya sits on one end of the spectrum, and has no use for constructs. Baldur loves constructs, and might want maybe one fuzzy beast. Kreuger, Mohsar, Cassius, and pretty much everyone else want something of a mix. Staples that everyone else wants or can use and make good purchases for multiple warlocks: Feral Warpwolf, Warpwolf Stalker, Gorax, Wold Warden/Megalith, Shifting Stones, Druids.

Xess
03-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Whoa, so informative, thank you this helps me a lot! =D

Jack-Hammer
03-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Re: the battle box, as long as your interested in the living beasts I think its a good way to start the circle.

A feral and one argus are good models that you can keep using, pKaya is a good caster (pretty evil really), but she losses power at larger point games (35+).

The second argus is a bit dissapointing. Fun for your first dozen games then as you get more models you"ll probably never use two again.

Swifter66
03-21-2012, 03:47 AM

I'd say the playstyke varies A LOT depending on the caster.

I would say the best buys after the starter include 2 plastic Warpwolf kit (for the Stalker and Ghetorex), Gorax, Shifting Stones, Druids + UA, Blood Trackers + Nuala, Lord of the Feast, EKruger, PBaldur and EKaya.

Swifter66
03-21-2012, 03:48 AM
Oh, and Kromac.

Greggle
03-21-2012, 06:05 PM
In regards to living versus constructed beasts, I'd say most Circle warlocks prefer a mix except Baldur and both Kayas, who specialize in one or the other.

Dyrnwyn
03-21-2012, 07:00 PM
I'd say the playstyke varies A LOT depending on the caster.

I would say the best buys after the starter include 2 plastic Warpwolf kit (for the Stalker and Ghetorex), Gorax, Shifting Stones, Druids + UA, Blood Trackers + Nuala, Lord of the Feast, EKruger, PBaldur and EKaya.

*cough* No offense, but pBaldur doesn't really jive with the rest of that list - yeah, he likes Bloodtrackers, but you have zero constructs, which would be playing him without one of his biggest strengths.

In regards to living versus constructed beasts, I'd say most Circle warlocks prefer a mix except Baldur and both Kayas, who specialize in one or the other.
Specifically, pBaldur wants lots of constructs, and eBaldur likes constructs, but since he lost his STR buff spell in the transition to epic, he needs some fuzzies, as if you go all stones he is the only thing in the list that can have a P+S greater than 17, and having your only option to punch out Khador jacks being your caster kind of blows. Either Kaya buffs fuzzies, so as long as you skip the stone guys she's good.

Swifter66
03-22-2012, 03:09 AM
*cough* No offense, but pBaldur doesn't really jive with the rest of that list - yeah, he likes Bloodtrackers, but you have zero constructs, which would be playing him without one of his biggest strengths.

While he does of course like constructs, I don't feel he needs them. As you mentioned Bloodtrackers are good, but so are the Druids. With the exception of Dead Eyed Gun Mages, Errants + PSevy and just about anything Legion, the best way to kill these guys are AOEs (like Bombers, Redeemers, WG Rocketeers/Mortar Crews, etc.) and PBaldur of course solves that. He also works with Circle's best heavy, the Stalker, as he can give it it stealth easily via a forest and if you can pull off the dual shift you can give it Stone Skin and still get to P+S 20 sans the frenzy or (if you get on the enemy caster/lock) just go to town with Primal up as well. Also Stone Skin on Ghetorix makes him P+S 21 and ARM 21 melee (excepting back arc and knockdown), as well as getting just bonkers with Primal on top of it. There's also still the fact that you can Sprint move even if you've sacc'd your move via Teleport, though I suppose that doesn't relate to Baldur. :p Basically I don't feel Baldur is pigeon holed by needing constructs. The free charges are ok, but they're only on SPD 4-5 beasts with no reach and max P+S 17 (if they're charging). The "free" Earth Spikes can be neat, but I personally don't like to go fishing, hoping for crits. The best argument could be made for Megalith, who's never a bad choice with either of the Baldurs.