PDA

View Full Version : What is the best Warboss/HQ

wingedman1
03-10-2012, 01:44 PM
I'm just learning 40k and I love orks...but I need some advice what HQ is best for which style of play. I like the funkier aspects of orks more than the greentide. Advice?

Lord Severus
03-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Ghaskull is always a good choice. He is a just a beatstick and a tough one to get rid off. Attaching him to snikrots commandos and letting him run loose in a backfield is never fun to deal with

Also a biker boss can do most of the same as ghas, but for cheaper. Isnt as good overall, but still a beast.

You should almost always take one KFF mek no matter the list.

MaltonNecromancer
03-10-2012, 04:46 PM
I've been having a lot of fun with a Deff Dred list. Not won a bloody thing, but I couldn't care less because the list's a great laugh to play; lots of big scary walkers and quite a few smaller ones too.

Killa Kans are well worth your time. The models are relatively inexpensive, and they just look fantastic, plus they're relatively good with the shooting too (especially if you go up against light infantry and can make decent use of the Grotzooka).

DarkLink
03-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Ghasgull and a Big Mek with a Kustom Force Field, end of story for every Ork army like, ever.

KFFs are basically the most annoying thing in the entire game, especially if you take a bunch of Battlewagons.

marsdonut
03-10-2012, 08:05 PM
I think you should play with a weirdboy for a while. Afterwards start aiming your HQ needs to the base of your army. (Mind you, if you play with a weirdboy, attach a footslogging unit of shootas to him, so in case you teleport, 18" away from your target ain't so bad.)

Meks make vehicles great, Bosses make any troop great, and Weirdboys are pure random. Zogswart could probably squig Ghazghull, but Ghaz is the best for a lot of boys in a horde.

My next purchase is a big mek, who in all honesty is mostly a safe, defensive HQ choice.

orksforthewin
03-10-2012, 09:07 PM
I just recently gave mad dok a run....attached to a 19 man ard boyz squad in a BW. it really worked out well for me....feel no pain on that many bodies that already have a 4+ really had my opponent making some hard choices.

marsdonut
03-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Mad Doc and giving them cybork sounds amazing. A /little/ expensive at 11 pts per boy, but something I'll need to try soon too!

Mr.Pickelz
03-10-2012, 09:55 PM
For stable results do what Darklink said, Ghazz and KFF Big Mek, for weird stuff happening every round, take Zogwort and a Mek with Shokk Attack Gun, and a power klaw just in case he decides to teleport into close combat... :D

superhappyrobot
03-11-2012, 12:48 AM
I've faced down Ghazkull several times, and he's always scary. I think his best attribute, besides just being tough as heck, is the auto 6" run on the turn you use his Waagh! This is huge because it guarantees you an 18" charge capability, which is sufficient to get you through rapid fire range, saving you some boyz on the way in.

DarkLink
03-11-2012, 01:07 AM
Ghaz is the answer to basically any problem that orks have. Facing something boys can't kill in CC? Throw Ghaz with a 2+ invulnerable save at it. The extra 6" and Fleet also gives you a crazy assault range with trukks and battlewagons.

marsdonut
03-11-2012, 01:55 AM
His bully boys formation is also rather inspiring, along with "da big waagh" asset which doubles the run to 12" :)

^ Apoc btw

Frankio9
03-11-2012, 12:20 PM
If you are looking for wacky, it does'nt get much wackier than the Weirdboy! They can be surprisingly effective and are cheap as well.

MrGiggles
03-11-2012, 04:46 PM
The best HQ completely depends on what you're going for in the army.

Ghazghkull is basically the beatstick of beatsticks in the army list. He's slow, but you can mitigate that a bit by putting him with Kommandos either with Snikrot to Ambush or with a normal Kommando Mob to take advantage of Move Through Cover. Sticking him with another unit means that getting him places without a ride becomes a concern, though not an insurmountable one. If you're just shopping for a Strength 10 Power Klaw, there are cheaper ways to do it, but Ghazghkull's Waaaagh is a pretty nice thing to have on the table.

If you're running vehicles in any quantity or a full on infantry horde, you should probably at least consider the Big Mek with a Kustom Force Field for at least one if not both HQ slots. Bringing your cover with you increases the survivability of things immensely.

Mad Dok Grotsnik is an interesting choice and I use him here and there. Some folks dislike the fact that he comes with Rage and can be lead around to a degree. It's generally not the end of the world with Orks since, most of the time, you want to run something down and assault it anyway. You'll have to watch how you position him, but that's about it. What the Mad Dok really does is two things. First, he provides Cybork Bodies to any model you want to pay for it on. This can be quite handy for some of the more expensive units in the Elite and Fast Attack section that would otherwise be stuck with a 6+ Armour Save and little else. You can add it to large units of Boyz, but as it's been noted before, that gets expensive fast. The other thing the Mad Dok does is add Fearless and Feel No Pain to the unit he's with. It makes normal Boyz pretty resilient and can keep some of your smaller units around and functional when they'd otherwise be running away.

I bring out one or two Big Meks with Shokk Attack Guns every now and then. They perform alright, though they're erratic. I've blown Land Raiders and tooled out Command Squads right off the board with a single shot, but I've also blown my Big Mek and the unit he's attached to away with equal frequency. It's a fun unit to take, but don't count on predicting what it's going to do.

The final thing I use here and there are Wierdboyz. They're a cheap HQ option that doesn't need wargear to do their job. The price tag increases if you want to purchase the Warphead ability, but it does make the Weirdboy easier to work with and he does still come out cheap. If I'm stretched for points, I'll often look at the Weirdboy to free up some points that I'd otherwise spend on an HQ.

gythku
03-14-2012, 03:46 PM
warbosses: ghazz, on a bike making biker nobs scoring, or in a ride with a plank (move phase klaw hits). but always a powa klaw

I've use mad doc for fun and to really mess with my oponet (every thing with a 5++ is fun, watch 15 boys tarpit and wipe a termy squad)

Fxeni
03-14-2012, 11:59 PM
Just keep in mind Ghazgkull is great, but not fantastic at killing certain things like Demons, or Wytches.

He's also great as a delaying tactic - if you need to tie things up for a turn, don't be afraid to throw his 2+ fearless waggh at it. Even if you can't kill it, delaying it is sometimes all you need.