PDA

View Full Version : Pink Foam in Los Angeles

Lunar Camel
03-09-2012, 11:48 PM
Does anyone know where I can get high-density pink foam used to make scenery/terrain. And don't say "Home Depot". I have been to five Home Depots and three Lowes and everytime I ask, I get blank stares from the help who have no idea what I'm talking about.

I live near downtown Los Angeles.

If anyone can confirm a place has it for sale, I would greatly appreciate it.

Lord Tothe
03-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Well, I got MINE at Home Depot... Owens Corning Foamular 1/2" & 1-1/2" extruded polystyrene insulation. If the big stores don't have it, check for contractor supply companies. I'm not in CA, so I'm afraid I don't know any local sources for you. Hopefully a brand name will jog their memories. It's usually located somewhere in the back of the lumberyard area at a Lowes or Home Depot. It's in a giant 4'x8' sheet, so wherever you do find it, see if they can cut it down to 2'x4' sections.

NonComPoop
03-13-2012, 10:23 AM
does anyone even sell insulation in Callifornia...i doubt you'd need it on your houses down there....just like finding a block heater for your car there I imagine

DarkLink
03-13-2012, 10:57 AM
I've heard of cases where Home Depot and the like actually do have it, but most of the staff just doesn't know what it is. It's tucked away in the back somewhere, you just have to find it yourself.

And believe it or not, California is not one giant beach where the sun always shines, everyone surfs and it never goes above or below 72 degrees. In the valley, it routinely drops below freezing during the winter, and below zero up in the mountains. I live in California, but I've never even touched a surf board before and I live like two hundred miles from the ocean.

Ardboy
03-13-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm not in LA, but I am in Orange County (Santa Ana). I go to Allied Building Products. They sell the DOW blue High density foam (same as pink foam..just differnt color). They get a lot of terrain builders coming on for it, ususally model Train guys. Their info is:

1244 North Anaheim Boulevard
Anaheim, CA 92801
‎(714) 449-2350
alliedbuilding.com

Ardboy
03-13-2012, 12:50 PM
In CA, the high density foam is not coded nor allowed for home insulation (its too much of a fire hazard), just smaller out buildings. So Home Depot or Lowes rarely carry it.

Lunar Camel
03-19-2012, 12:12 PM
That explains it. Thanks Ardboy.