PDA

View Full Version : Does Kraye Need a Squire?

ElectricPaladin
03-09-2012, 11:34 AM
I know that the Squire is widely considered to be an auto-include for Cygnar. It's such a darned useful little chicken!

The problem is that Kraye wastes one of Squire's advantages - the reroll on magic attacks - since he's not likely to be casting that Arcane Blast very often. Arcane Repeater and Reserve Accumulator, on the other hand, are very useful for Kraye. I worry, however, that I'm wasting a point that could be better spent elsewhere.

What do you think? Does Kraye want a chicken?

Gunnbjorn
03-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Can't say much on its practicality from a competitive sense, as I prefer to design my armies around themes (usually: Models That Look Cool). I don't think a speedy recon 'caster would want that high-tech oddball chicken trotting behind him, buzzing and sparking as it tries (and fails) to keep up with Malagant on long journeys.

wittdooley
03-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Agreed with gunny (I also play fluffy armies!!! I didnt realize more people playing WM did!!).

I think the robohen is way too slow to keep up with kraye, particularly if u go cav heavy.

ElectricPaladin
03-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Can't say much on its practicality from a competitive sense, as I prefer to design my armies around themes (usually: Models That Look Cool). I don't think a speedy recon 'caster would want that high-tech oddball chicken trotting behind him, buzzing and sparking as it tries (and fails) to keep up with Malagant on long journeys.

I don't know - I could totally imagine the chicken riding in a little basket strapped to Malagant's butt and cut lose when the fighting starts. Just like the Black 13th and Arlan Strangewayes - both part of Kraye's theme force - probably follow Kraye around on riding horses and dismount. Once we've got the Black 13th and Arlan riding on horses, it's hard to object too much to the chicken riding in a basket, or Reinholdt riding on a pony, or whatever.

Dais
03-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Kraye dose benefit from a squire being a jack caster and all but it is not required. The extra focus is good for any caster and the control area is a big deal to keep his large base out of enemy reach -not to mention how fast his jacks can move and how easily they end up out of his range for next turn allocation. Kraye will almost never cast spells offensively, but if he needs to arcane repeater is a big deal.

Also, speed is not an issue in game as the squire can run freely since it has no action. 12" run keeps up with 8" move easily. In the fluff it is mechanical so it would be transported in a wagon and have it's furnace fired up for battle like the jacks.

Swifter66
03-20-2012, 04:24 AM
I would definitely include it. In addition to the extra focus and spell re-rolls, I've noticed that the extra 2" really helps when you have one of your jacks speed away from him via full tilt and you want to be able to give it focus next turn.

Pudgeinabowl
03-22-2012, 04:44 AM
It's cheap, gives range, focus. Does he need it? No, kraye is too badass to need anything, but he wants one.

Martin_Fierro
03-23-2012, 10:42 PM
I agree with Pudge, Kraye doesn't need a squire, but it's sure handy to have one around. Especially when you throw a couple of Hunter's in the mix--double control area is all of a sudden 28" instead of 24".