PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Space Wolves

will44
03-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Okay, after 5+ years of losing with my Xenos army, I'm starting a space wolves army. I just bought the codex yesterday, so right now this is very conceptual. But I'd love to do a wolf rider army, adding terminators with frost blades and some troops to round it out. Here's what I'm thinking, but I'd like a lot of input before I go buy models. Since this will be my second army, I don't want to screw up and buy stuff I don't end up using!

Also, as this is conceptual right now, this may not add up to 1500 points correctly, so I'm going to just not include points...

If people could help by saying "this is a better build for a take all wolf rider army" I'll then be able to refine the list, add points, and then buy junk!

HQ
Logan Grimnar
Canis Wolfborn

Elites:
Dreadnaught
Wolfguard Terminators

Troops:
Space Wolves Pack x10
Space wolves pack x10

Fast Attack
Thunderwolf Cavalry x4
Thunderwolf Cavalry x2 (Canis will join this army)

Heavy:
Devistator/Long Fang Pack

Again, just looking for advice, what to add, what to take out. Or if anyone wants to point me to a list to copy, that's fine too!

Vashtek
03-07-2012, 10:32 AM
I take it from your comments that you are primarily focussed on winning games.

This being the case I would lose the expensive special characters (or go with Logan and a bunch of wolfguard, but that's a different list entirely) and instead get a runepriest. Jaws of the World Wolf and Living Lightning are good options for the psychic powers. Ask yourself what the dreadnought will do that the rest of your army cannot. Answer: nothing, so ditch it.

Make sure you have as many terminators with cyclones as possible.

Use the points you have saved to buy more grey hunters. Grey hunters should usually be equipped as follows:
Rhino, wolfguard with combi-melta, powerfist, 1 dude with a meltagun, 1 dude with a wolf standard (this is massive for 10 points) and 6-7 other dudes (remember to leave space in one rhino for the runepriest). Grey hunters rock. They are one of the main reasons why space wolves are the top tier list.

Thunderwolf cavalry are not really to my taste, but are kind of fine. Get two units of three and mix around equipment for wound allocation nonsense. I think space wolf scouts are a nice fit with TWs as your opponent doesn't want to deploy on the back line as he is scared of your scouts, and doesn't want to deploy forward to avoid the wolves. Keep scouts with minimal equipment if you do use them - a meltagun is probably sufficient. Two squads is much more reliable than one and will scare the pants off any imperial guard/ tau that you meet.

Two units of long fangs are (again) much better than one as you need to shut off fire lanes and it is relatively easy to neutralise/ avoid 1 unit of long fangs.

will44
03-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Didn't mean to give that impression. I am looking to be more competative, and I like the frost blades and the wolf rider apsect of the Space Wolves. That's why I'd like to build lists around them, even though other stuff might be better.

Chexmix282
03-07-2012, 02:16 PM
That is too many points for your HQ choices in a 1500 point game, as Thunderwolf armies are already low model count. I will make a good list for you, trying to revolve around Frost Blades and Thunderwolves.

HQ
Canis Wolfborn 185

Troops
10 Grey Hunters 190
-2 Meltaguns, Rhino

10 Grey Hunters 190
-2 Meltaguns, Rhino

5 Grey Hunters 150
-Flamer, Razorback w/ Lascannon & TL Plasmagun

Fast Attack
3 Thunderwolves 185
-1 has Frost Blade, 1 has Meltabombs

3 Thunderwolves 185

3 Thunderwolves 185

Heavy Support
5 Long Fangs 115
-4 Missile Launchers

5 Long Fangs 115
-4 Missile Launchers

Normally I would go with Power Fists on the Thunderwolves, but Frost Blades will do. I gave one in each squad Meltabombs so they could kill Walkers in combat if required.

You have enough anti-tank shooting for this points level, and 3 units of Thunderwolves plus Canis is enough to chew through just about anything in CC.

The tactics are simple: The Rhinos advance with the Thunderwolves behind them or flanking them. The Razorback stays in your deployment zone, likely on an objective. The Long Fangs destroy enemy transports, leaving the infantry vulnerable to your fast Thunderwolves. You can replace one unit of Thunderwolves for 2 x 10 Fenrisian Wolves (taken as Troops thanks to Canis) and use them as mobile cover for your Thunderwolves.

I would try and proxy a game or two before you commit yourself to purchasing an entire army. Hope this list points you in the right direction :)

Sethimath
03-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Chemxi's list looks a lot more mobile. If you wanted to take some wolf guard terminators though drop Logan and take a few small units of fenris wolves, they work great for tarpit and objective contesting. Also helps tie up shooting units while your bigger wolves with riders eat other squads.

will44
03-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Cool, that list looks really good. I'll definitely do most of that, but would love to try to work in a terminator squad... I mean how can you not with marines, right? :D

White925
03-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Heres my thunderwolf list if you would like to check it out.

http://www.frontlinegaming.org/2011/11/28/40k-space-wolf-tactics-and-army-blog-welcome-to-the-thunderdome/

will44
03-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Fast Attack
3 Thunderwolves 185

3 Thunderwolves 185

3 Thunderwolves 185

I get 180 for that kit, does anyone else, or am I missing something?

Chumbalaya
03-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Yeah, all those SCs are cray expensive, especially at 1500.

If you want to go for a TWC theme, you'll need 3 things to get the most out of your TWC.
1) Long Fangs/ranged AT to crack open transports
2) Rhinos to provide cover, tank shock and bring mobile melta
3) Thunderwolf Lord with Saga of the Bear. The only things TWC fear are things that insta-kill them. A Bear Lord with hammer and shield thrives on big game hunting and covers the TWC's weaknesses quite well.

So doing something like this:

Wolf Lord - hammer, shield, mount, Saga of the Bear, whatever else
4x 5 GH with melta in Rhino
2x 3 TWC, hammer and shield
3x 5 Fangs w/ 4 missile

Gives you good presence of TWC, decent mech saturation and a good amount of firepower.

victoryd5
03-08-2012, 11:37 AM
I agree rune priest and longfangs are the way to go also I agree that you do not need the named characters, a regular wolf lord and cav are sick.

ragnarcissist
03-08-2012, 12:57 PM
itd be kinda hard to squeeze in both TDA wolf guard AND TWC... depending on points that is, but you should play a few proxy games with lists containing both and make ur decision then on how fun/competitive each is. good luck and welcome to the best darn space marine army around! FOR RUSS!!!

Mr. Furious
03-15-2012, 07:08 PM
As others have said, think about ditching the Canis and use a Wolf Lord with Saga of the Bear.

TWC costs a ton of points and can be vulnerable as they are always fire magnets. Storm Shields all around and be sure to equip one with Mark of the Wulfen. I've never been disapointed with the return on the points spent on the Mark. Add some Fenrisian Wolves to your Lord and use them to soak up some wounds.

Take a Rune Priest or Njal as a second HQ. You're giving up some great capabilities if you don't take a Rune Priest.

Rhino's and Razorbacks are definitely your troops' friends.

If you don't want the boxes, try some drop pods with troops in them. Risky at times but they can pay big dividends when they work the way they're supposed to.

Always run at least 2 units of Long Fangs. Always. Lascannons cost more than Missle Launchers but I always do well with them so I mix up the units. Dropping a Heavy Bolter in each unit doesn't hurt either. With the ability to split fire a Heavy Bolter can ruin an opponent's day when they're marching for an objective or trying to get the Fangs tied up in assault. I equip my Long Fangs leader with a Plasma Gun. He always makes a difference and adds firepower to the unit that normally goes to waste.

Chuckachu
03-21-2012, 09:14 PM
I have tried both the Rune Priest alone and the Wolf Lord and have already found that together they rock. Living Lighting really cheeses off opponents even if its not a instant kill attack. But the Twolves will be bullet sponges. I'm running four with the specials spread evenly so they should hopefully last longer.

Grrmpf
03-22-2012, 02:45 PM
Mostly good points by the other posters. Here is where I disagree:

- Grey Hunters: 10 plus 2x Melta plus standard in Rhino is the most efficient loadout in my experience.

- Thunder Wolve Cav.: 5 with 3 Stormshields and Powerfist plus two Bolters for wound allocation.
Small units tend to be less good in close combat. Multicharge is your friend.