PDA

View Full Version : BoLS Lounge Activity Increase - Anyone Else Notice?

Necron_Lord
03-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Has anyone else noticed the increase in BoLS Lounge activity after the $400 shopping spree was announced? Before it was common to see a discussion thread on the BoLS home page for a couple of days, now it will disappear after a couple of hours. Coincidence? What does the lounge think? I'd love to discuss it and get my 10 comment goal reached so I have a chance to get some plastic crack.;)

Slug
03-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Yea, there are new threads everywhere, there must be good few hundred new members maybe even a thousand.

Gut40k
03-06-2012, 02:56 PM
I am ..... Guilty!! Plastic crack is a helluva drug..

marsdonut
03-06-2012, 02:58 PM
I for one welcome a discussion I can take part of. Before, I merely lurked and read when it came to rumors.

Dark Trainer
03-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Lol, no idea what you're talking about... 9

Necron_Lord
03-06-2012, 03:01 PM
3 out of 4 responses so far are noobs going for the shopping spree qualification. Do I have any other takers? Operators are standing by!

DWest
03-06-2012, 03:12 PM
I too am going for the 10 responses threshold, but I've been here for a little bit before the contest at least. I'm trying to limit myself to useful and relevant posts (with maybe the exception of this one).

Grenndal
03-06-2012, 03:39 PM
I have been a lurker for a while now but $400 has me taking a peek to see what all the fuss is about lol.

Grenndal
http://xenoftw.blogspot.com

Kaiserdean
03-06-2012, 03:41 PM
I've been a lurker for a while but the promises of grey plastic treasure have urged me to de-lurk.

Sort Of Purple
03-06-2012, 04:13 PM
<- Has no shame

Although if after this, the more people who start posting for plastic crack continue to do so, as long as it's inteligent, the better it is for the community?

Wolfshade
03-06-2012, 04:19 PM
I did comment that I should post a topic like this.
Hopefully, some of the new people should stay and continue to contribute.
Unfortunately, a lot of posts are resurrecting dead threads or re-interating points that have already been made or add little value and seem to be just a rush to get to 10 posts.
[I think this makes #14 for the day ;)]

This sounds more negative than it is meant to be, sorry.

Night System
03-06-2012, 04:22 PM
I comment when I can think of something to contribute. More threads/posters = I comment more.

Strange world :P

The Madman
03-06-2012, 04:45 PM
from what i counted there are about 210 new members (7 pages worth on the member list).

eldargal
03-06-2012, 04:48 PM
If even only half a dozen of the newbies stick around after the competition ends it will be a good thing for the community.

ragnarcissist
03-06-2012, 04:49 PM
you got plastic crack?!? oh yeah?!! i got these cheeeseburgers maaann

Psychosplodge
03-06-2012, 04:51 PM
It's nice to see people with an ability to resurrect the dead....

definitely a useful skill...

sprugly
03-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Though I've been a member for months I am normally a perpetual lurker. I often feel that unless I am one of the firat to see a topic my opinion would just be a copy of something another poster has already said. So I dont bother.

Sprugly

Plowboy22
03-06-2012, 04:54 PM
I'm guilty of posting for the crack prize but I have been lurking for a while now so this is just a motivator to actually jump into the threads.

Lunar Camel
03-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Contest? There's a contest? I must comment about that. :rolleyes:

DarkLink
03-06-2012, 05:00 PM
I was wondering why I came back from the Bay Area Open and there were like 300 unread threads or something ridiculous like that. I thought the New Posts search link was glitching.

KrewL RaiN
03-06-2012, 05:07 PM
This is a brilliant scheme to get new blood into the community, its just how many are gonna stick around hehe. I have been a long time lurker too. Plastic Crack bait made me go, why not, was thinking of joining anyway, just been procrastinating on it xD

sverigesson
03-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Like some others, I have lurked and loved the site and the boards for a while now (started playing in October), and now had an incentive to join! (To be honest, I didn't know BolS had a forum until about a month ago). Well, I'm certainly glad to be here, and hope to be one of the fraction of us who stick around. Skål!

Thorn
03-06-2012, 07:56 PM
I have to say, not only is this a great way to increase activity but it'll also help get new people into the game even if they don't win the prize. People may find that after a discussion, they really want to buy some minis.

Also, I think there are around 100 new members since yesterday.

karlthepagan
03-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Wellp... I just started posting here since I moved to Austin and now I look like a contest chasing joiner.

See you on Thursday :P

wittdooley
03-06-2012, 08:59 PM
What contest?!? Is this on the front page?

Drunkencorgimaster
03-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Witt and I seem to have missed something...

LordMcSpank
03-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Plastic crack is great...count me in :-)

Black Hydra
03-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Whooo! 2000 more points of Necrons here I come! I mean...ahem...for the community! ;)

No seriously. I've lurked everywhere. Just glad this incentive came along to finally make me post.

Drunkencorgimaster
03-06-2012, 09:59 PM
I just figured out what your are all buzzing about. Very kool.

Necron_Lord
03-06-2012, 10:03 PM
What contest?!? Is this on the front page?

It is for the time being, it is called "BoLS Giveaway".

Basically there will be a drawing for a $400 shopping spree on Spikey Bits for one person who frequents the BoLS lounge. To qualify for the drawing one has to have a profile, post 10 times in March and not get banned. Pretty low bar to qualify.

All the lurking plastic baseheads have started to prowl the lounge and post like crazy.

Uncle Nutsy
03-06-2012, 10:58 PM
yeah.. i'd get about six, no seven piranhas.. some to convert to TX42's maybe... and a few more tau tanks. I'd have an awesome spearhead setup.

Denied
03-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Honestly I refuse to post for the sake of posting. I think we have all seen the increase in initiate members, but I am a regular enough poster and I refuse to spam this site in order to qualify !

bob10182
03-06-2012, 11:30 PM
I think most of us have been following the site for a while now BOLS just gave me a good reason to register.

commissar
03-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Greed and little cash to pay for figures brings me forth in attempt to kick off my Table top wants.

Gotthammer
03-07-2012, 09:40 AM
It's better than the last contest where the thread with the most responses won.

Rissan4ever
03-07-2012, 11:31 AM
It's better than the last contest where the thread with the most responses won.

That is definitely true. I'm posting to get to my 10 comments, too, but the truth is I think the mods just want to see us jump. But hey, $400 of stuff! *JUMP, JUMP JUMP!*

Muras
03-07-2012, 11:42 AM
I've been a lurker for a while but the promises of grey plastic treasure have urged me to de-lurk.

Pretty well describes me as well.

MDK
03-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Who doesn't mind doing a little extra typing for free stuff?

Wildeybeast
03-07-2012, 02:25 PM
I was wondering why people were usddenly resurrecting dead threads. Have to say I don't usually bother reading stuff on the front page so I wasn't aware there was a comp, but it is nice to see us regular posters being rewarded as well as encouraging noobs to join (welcome all noobs btw!). Hopefully some of the new folks will stick around as it's always good to have new members

CrimsonTurkey
03-07-2012, 03:46 PM
As a person who comments here every now and then, largely because there's usually not terribly much to comment on, this has been quite strange.

1lainie1
03-07-2012, 04:13 PM
I've been lurking for a while, but that prize is a good reason to join up. :)

heretic marine
03-07-2012, 08:23 PM
well what do you expect giving away 400 bucks will do. there is people who are just lurkers that are making accounts just to get a chance at the money. I suspect that by the end of the month it will all die down, you could try to prove me wrong.

wittdooley
03-07-2012, 10:15 PM
well what do you expect giving away 400 bucks will do. there is people who are just lurkers that are making accounts just to get a chance at the money. I suspect that by the end of the month it will all die down, you could try to prove me wrong.

I sincerely hope so. Too many of the new posts have been pretty content-free. There has been some good stuff, but overall it's a bunch of "yeah I agree" crap that doesn't really add to the site.

So kudos to you new folks actually contributing something worthwhile. We're glad ta have ya.

nimrod451
03-08-2012, 01:14 AM
I've been lurking around and frequent reader of BoLS myself, but i must admit the shopping spree was an impetuous for me to sign up an account and lounge around here. I usually hang out on the bolter and chainsword forums...where i'm pretty quiet there too.

..trying to get more involved though, so hopefully some of us can contribute more in the future.

Marshal_Wilhelm
03-08-2012, 03:30 AM

That is possibly true - but maybe a few people will stick around, bolstering the community. We shall see how it pans out in time, eh?

Wolfshade
03-08-2012, 03:55 AM
I sincerely hope so. Too many of the new posts have been pretty content-free. There has been some good stuff, but overall it's a bunch of "yeah I agree" crap that doesn't really add to the site.
yeah I agree

wittdooley
03-08-2012, 08:26 AM
yeah I agree

:D. Touche', sir, Touche'.

Wolfshade
03-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Sorry I couldn't help myself :D

Criger
03-08-2012, 10:48 AM

So kudos to you new folks actually contributing something worthwhile. We're glad ta have ya.

We could just make a new thread for people who are only here for the plastic crack. They can agree with everything that's said and get their post count up :D

Thornblood
03-08-2012, 11:09 AM
I think I lurked for a few years- it was not being able to see linked images in the end that got me to sign up and there was a few discussions that were quite fun that got me posting. It was, I think a slow process for me (I think I remember that right anyway).

But yeah, stick around noobs- the pics posted in the painting and modelling section are inspiring and the rest is pretty fun.

miteyheroes
03-08-2012, 12:40 PM
I joined BOLS in a similar posting contest a while back. So they definitely attract some new members who don't just disappear...

Houghten
03-08-2012, 01:11 PM
What can I say? I regularly write gubbinz in the comments on BoLS proper, but only posts in the Lounge count for entering the contest, so now I'm saying the same stuff in here as I was out there.

If that's wrong, I don't want to be right...

kargie
03-08-2012, 01:20 PM
I've been a lurker for quite some time, and while this spurred me to action, I'm still here after hitting 10! :-P

commissar
03-08-2012, 07:00 PM
I plan to stick around afterwards so I can learn what I can.

Cavscout
03-08-2012, 07:35 PM
I'm also guilty of being a long time lurker, infrequent poster. I've enjoyed the whole firster/firster hater thing going. Most everything I would say has been said by others by the time i get to the end of the thread. I'm not the type that posts just to see my name on the website.

wittdooley
03-08-2012, 07:51 PM
But.... If you're doing it now simply to have a chance at the $$$ isn't that exactly the kind of poster u are? I hope we have some quality contributors come out of this. As it presently stands however, much of the new poster race to 10 has been sorta meh in terms of content quality. Not to mention the abundance of thread necromancy.

Brakkart
03-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Reading this thread was the first I had heard of this contest/draw thing as I rarely actually check the frontpage of the BoLS site, the link on my bookmarks hotbar goes straight to the Lounge, so thanks for starting this thread as I'd likely never have known about this otherwise.

FTE-Charge!!!
03-08-2012, 08:09 PM
I think this kind of activity is silly. I would be very disappointed in the mgmt if they picked the winner out of a new lurker-turned-poster.

doom-kitten
03-08-2012, 08:10 PM
I'm more disappointed than interested the idea of free money and an army shopping spree being the catalyst to bring in new members is...just wrong. I started on a whim, mostly because I wanted to showcase my models, not gonna lie I haven't done that in atleast a year but sometimes the convos make me wanna leave a comment. The current discussion are mostly ones we've seen before or random discussions intended purely to boost an individuals comment count, it's sad really. I actually wasn't aware of the contest and was abit surprised about the sheer number or topics then I found threads like this and my interest plummeted pretty bad.

gwensdad
03-08-2012, 08:34 PM
I just thought all the extra activity was because I just wasn't checking the forums as much. Oh well.

DarkLink
03-08-2012, 10:28 PM
I'm pretty sure I started posting for one of the contests. In fact, I think the prize was a Valkyrie kit. Look at how many posts I have now.

wittdooley
03-08-2012, 10:32 PM
I'm pretty sure I started posting for one of the contests. In fact, I think the prize was a Valkyrie kit. Look at how many posts I have now.

Then I sincerely hope the majority is like you!!

nimrod451
03-09-2012, 04:01 AM
I would think adding to the community would always be good. Even if there's some fluff around the gills at first. I'm sure only people really interested will stick around.. while others die off.. hopefully adding to the community.

..and its probably good for BoLS in general to get some more people seeing their advertising at least for a bit.

Krisken
03-09-2012, 04:10 AM
I tended to check out the front page more than the forum (already a part of a lot of them), but the contest pulled me in to the Lounge area.

Hopefully the forum and I are a nice fit and I can contribute properly to the discussions available.

hippsman
03-09-2012, 08:26 AM
I read the forums every day for a few years now, but have never posted. this was a good way to get some of us readers to actually participate in the discussion.

flygonzom
03-09-2012, 09:04 AM
I for one enjoy posting useless posts for my post count....POST!!

flygonzom
03-09-2012, 09:04 AM
oh, and one more for good measure.

I haven't decided if i'm actually going to post anything productive after this.

MarneusCalgar
03-09-2012, 09:18 AM
I also noticed this...

Lots of new threads created!!

FortheEmperor!
03-13-2012, 12:00 AM
I too have been lurking for years. The smell of new plastic is too much of a temptation to ignore!

Ceramic Teapot
03-13-2012, 12:32 AM
While I have been looking at the front page for ages, I never really came to the forums...until the prize was offered. So count me as one of the new guys.

Joshuawesome
03-13-2012, 11:19 AM
UPDATE: To be eligable you must live in the following countries (so SpikeyBits can ship to you):
United States, (Including APO's FPO's, Protectorates & Territories of the US), Australia, Germany, New Zealand, France, United Kingdom, Poland, and Canada.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2012/03/bols-giveaway-win-free-army.html

>:( wish they had told me this sooner.

incidentally, this is my 10th post.