PDA

View Full Version : Deepstriking gaunts

Joey Boor
07-31-2009, 02:52 PM
My problem is that the other night I was playing Planetstrike with my usual group when the Tyranid player that was assaulting me got the idea that her gaunts with the without number rule could deepstrike even when her codex specifically states that they walk on from her table edge. So the question is, who is right? If anyone is interested the game ended up tied because of these gaunts.

Andrew283
07-31-2009, 03:03 PM
They can't deepstrike after being killed as it doesnt state that they can. Thats a weird rule but roll a 4+ to decide on whos correct for fairness

mkerr
07-31-2009, 03:14 PM
@Joey Boor: As a rules lawyer, I'm going to get jumped on for my answer, but the best solution for Planetstrike (like Apocalypse) is always the one that is the coolest and most exciting result.

So if deepstriking the gaunts would've made the game more fun and exciting for both players, then they need to deepstrike. If the nasty 'nids were already crushing you and more pressure wouldn't help, then they should probably come on from their board side.

Don't worry too much about consistency or correctness in Planetstrike. It wasn't designed with balance in mind, so you'll need to "self-correct for fun" as the game goes on.

I hope it was fun and I'd love to hear more about the game (especially any Planetstrike games!).

-- Mkerr

SeattleDV8
07-31-2009, 03:56 PM
The Shock Tactics special rule does say the attacker can alway deploy his units by deep strike (with some exceptions).

Joey Boor
07-31-2009, 05:33 PM
@mkerr: Her whole army was 3 units of 10 without number gaunts each and a medium sized unit of genestealers with a broodlord. She beat my face in. We were on teams of 3-4, 750pts each. I played a small infantry platoon, a primaris psyker, a veteran squad and a leman russ executioner. One teammate had leman russes and a hellhound, the other had lootas, nobs, deffcoptas and a unit of boyz. I was the only obstacle standing in the way of these gaunts. The ork player kept everything in reserve and the other player had 4 tanks and only one of them was on my side of the base. We had 3 bastions connected and surrounded with aegis defense lines in the center that I held with the assistance of 2 tanks while we had a separate bastion with its own defense lines guarded by a unit of lootas siting inside. The `stealers got nearly wiped out by heavy bolter fire on turn 1 while the necrons and orks beside them were almost untouched. At least 2 of the bastions were always shaken while the others were affected by the gremlins stratagem. Our bastions did virtually nothing the entire game while the tyranids were the only thing that got close and then only by deepstriking those endless gaunts in my face. Everything else got held up a turn by a unit of boyz that drove on to the table within the enemy. They killed an essential vehicle and everything else turned on them and annihilated them.

@SeattleDV8: The codex specifically says they walk on from the Tyranid player's table edge. The codex takes precedence over the expansion which takes precedence over the main book. For example: Living Metal ignores melta, a special rule that is defined in the main rulebook.

SeattleDV8
07-31-2009, 06:14 PM
Not quite, specific rules trump general rules .
Most of the time the codex does have the more specific rules, and if the BRB and codex have the USR or wargear with different rules the codex trumps the BRB.
In this case the Planet Strike Special rule 'Shock Tactic' would trump the codex, in that it allows units to deep strike that normally couldn't.

J_Kingslien
07-31-2009, 07:17 PM
Not quite, specific rules trump general rules .
Most of the time the codex does have the more specific rules, and if the BRB and codex have the USR or wargear with different rules the codex trumps the BRB.
In this case the Planet Strike Special rule 'Shock Tactic' would trump the codex, in that it allows units to deep strike that normally couldn't.

i agree and on a fluff side it makes seance that more gounts would be fired down from space in the area they disappeared

Joey Boor
08-01-2009, 03:01 PM
My argument is that these new gaunts would come from the brood mothers, not the hive ships. But I see your point.

StrikerFox
08-02-2009, 06:02 PM
looking at the planetstrike book, i would say she is allowed to do so as she has the choice to choose board edge, or deepstrike..

do note, that i find it quite fluffy to see gaunts being rained down from the sky in balls of snot on the last remaining defenders of the planet.. just for ****s and giggles..

Lucky Moniker
08-03-2009, 01:33 PM
My argument is that these new gaunts would come from the brood mothers, not the hive ships. But I see your point.

without number simply means there are so many gaunts around that they are be re-deployed to fight the new threat, what better way then fire more down from a hive ship?
it also adds to the whole "the sky is falling" feel of a tyranid invasion.
my brother plays tyranids and we had a game the other day where similar things happened and we just said the gaunts deepstrike it makes for the "useless" units to suddenly become a problem when they can grab objectives very late in the game when all other reserves are on the table

Crotch Lictor
08-05-2009, 02:33 PM
One more thing to think about here is that if you've knocked out all the synapse creatures, then they may flee and end up not capturing anything anyway, right? Granted if they come in on the last turn then they can capture, but if there's still a turn left, then they will almost assuredly fail a morale check at 5.

Alternatively, if you refrain from killing that last gaunt in a WON unit, then they can't come back until he's wiped. Not easy if they're in CC, but if they're just sitting there, you might be able to wipe it at the last minute. Much of it depends on who gets to go last, of course, but those are just some thoughts.