PDA

View Full Version : Khador Noob Infantry Question

ara989
03-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Can anyone suggest an infantry unit that would work well with Strakhov, Butcher, & Sorscha? I like the looks of the Iron Fang Pikeman and Doomreavers, but am hoping to only really invest in one big infantry unit that'd work for those 3 casters to save some cash and get the hang of the rules.

cody
03-06-2012, 11:50 AM
IFP are good standard melee troops, but the full unit is really expensive. Kayazy, winterguard infantry, and Nyss Hunters are generally regarded as the top infantry options for khador, and you could almost get 2 out of those 3 for the price of a full IFP + UA unit.

Thrasymachos
03-06-2012, 11:52 AM
You can't go far wrong with Iron Fang Pikemen, especially if you add their unit attachment (either the standard or the newly available Black Dragon UA).

Doom Reavers can be great fun and do hit incredibly hard, but they suffer to shooting to a much greater degree than Iron Fangs and cannot be targeted by friendly buff spells (like Fury, Iron Flesh or Occultation).

Iron Fangs hit hard, are decently survivable and take buffs well. They will benefit well from the feats of all three 'casters you mentioned.

Alternatively, the ever-popular Winter Guard Infantry Deathstar is a worthy choice as well. If you do go this route, Kovnik Jozef Gregorovich (Kovnik Joe) is a must.

tyrant of khador
03-06-2012, 12:42 PM
With Strakhov IFP work very well along with butcher with kayazy's coming in a close second. May I ask which version of sorscha you are using?

ara989
03-06-2012, 01:08 PM
With Strakhov IFP work very well along with butcher with kayazy's coming in a close second. May I ask which version of sorscha you are using?

I suppose its the prime versions of both Sorscha and Butcher!

Gunnbjorn
03-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Iron Fangs are a pretty good choice with some versatility - they can survive long enough to hit 'jacks hard, and reach lets them tackle spread-out infantry. The fact that they have two options for a unit attachment makes them even more customizable. They're quite suitable for all of those 'casters and probably make for a more reliable core force of infantry than the rather specialized Doom Reavers.

Jack-Hammer
03-06-2012, 04:44 PM
+1 for the IFP with UA. They play well with any caster and have generally great stats across the board, especially high armour and high p+s for infantry.

They can even be played aggressively or defensively, which is what I like most about them.

Their only down fall is $$$$. But if they're a unit you want to get you"ll probably get them some time, so why not now :)

Vinsklortho
03-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Kayazy Assassins and the Winterguard Infantry deathstar are amazing with any caster with Iron Flesh. The first time I ever ran into the WGI deathstar I was ill-prepared for it and it changed how I planned my lists out ever since.

j78
03-09-2012, 06:22 AM
winterguard work best with everyone.

Soss
03-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Wintergaurd are by far the best choice for infantry. Any caster with Iron Flesh makes them into a beast to take down and they can put out a lot of damage. They are very versatile and the sprays can not be underestimated.

I think the pikeman are good if you where going to get a second infantry unit but if you only want one wintergaurd is the best.

khadoransun
03-09-2012, 04:44 PM
I agree with the Winter Guard. The WG death star unit will only run you about 14 points and with Joe, they're pretty tough.

Inquisitor Hate Machine
03-13-2012, 08:26 PM
** Sees Cody has already answered the question **

So, I'll just talk trash.

The Winterguard Deathstar is a crutch. Same with the Kayazy, but they will still die to AOEs (So will WGDS, but at least they get tough). I dont like running my deathstar very much, and I have started to really focus on IFP. I *REALLY* like IFP. They have reach, they have high armour, they can get around really quickly, and they look freaking mean on the table. Now, to be fair, they are single wound infantry and die terribly to snipers and corrosion, But I still think they are sweet.

So much so that Im currently brainstorming a list with Irusk1, BDIFP, IFP, Great Bears...

Kommandant Irusk (*6pts)
* Behemoth (13pts)
Great Bears of Gallowswood (5pts)
Iron Fang Pikemen (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Black Dragon Officer & Standard (2pts)
Iron Fang Pikemen (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Iron Fang Pikemen Officer & Standard (2pts)
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution (3pts)

Id run the Normal IFP in front, GB behind, and a wall of BDIFP behind them, big B and irusk behind that, and eiryss where ever she needs to be. Just move toward, cast Inhospitable Ground to prevent charges, then hit with IFP then cast IF on them. Battle Lust on BDIFP for the over the shoulder poke/charge... Great Bears charge the gap if something comes in and clears a swath of IFP... Superiority on Big b... I think that could be pretty fun.

black_numenorean
03-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Iron fang all the way - especially if you like them!