PDA

View Full Version : New Thunder Wolves

Akela99
03-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Hey Folks,

I am eager to know what you all think about the new Thunder Wolf models? Are they better or worse than some of the alternatives out there?

Grovel
03-05-2012, 10:50 PM
I hate to admit it, but I think they're better than any of the third party efforts I've stumbled across.

The shields are terrible, but the rest are actually pretty good - a refreshing change from the disaster that they named Canis.

Father
03-05-2012, 11:13 PM
They are pretty good, but so too is some of the 3rd party offerings. Big advantage: they are plastic.

Geowolf
03-05-2012, 11:20 PM
I think that the level of detail is on par with what GW has been putting out lately, and personally I think that they are eclipsing the Third party sculpts. If the other models had the same level of detail to them...then it would be a closer race

AnEnemy
03-05-2012, 11:23 PM
They're better in my opinion.

Of course, I think the most popular 3rd party TWolves, Mr. Dandy's, look like cartoon characters drawn by an autistic four year old.

So who knows what my opinion's worth.

trygonprime
03-06-2012, 12:04 AM
The new wolves are amazing. The shield can be switched easy. The necon shield may have found a home. the small wolves are great.

Far Seer
03-06-2012, 01:14 AM
I was expecting something a lot better out of GW, they did disappoint me.

I do like the thousand sons heads on their bases though.

joppo
03-06-2012, 01:34 AM
I am definitely picking some of them up they look the part and can be bought from my FLGS...don't have to order from mother Russia or something

Skoby
03-06-2012, 04:37 AM
GW somehow managed to make them look less rediculous than my imagination but I just don't like the style of the wolves, the way the fur is done puts me in mind of the new(ish) ogre kingdom beasts and doesn't look grimdark enough for me.

ragnarcissist
03-06-2012, 11:10 AM
they look awesome! just finished a box of fenrisian wolves (could only snag one box before they all sold out, why oh why didnt i add more to my preorder!!!) about to start my twolves today! cant wait!!!

Rissan4ever
03-06-2012, 11:33 AM
I like them. They look like wolves, as opposed to Canis Wolfborn's mount, which looks like a mutated gerbil.

ara989
03-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Can anyone confirm the number of power/frost weapons in the box? Sprues look like they just have one, but I haven't picked up a set for myself yet.

Gut40k
03-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Fenrisian wolves r nice. Thunderwolves not so much.

warpcrafter
03-06-2012, 05:07 PM
One frost axe, one thunder hammer and one power fist. I generally like them, but the shorter fur texture looks more like scales than fur. Still, overall they're pretty sweet.

Duskstorm
03-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Too little too late in my opinion, if they would have come out when the codex did they might have made a difference. The models themselves don't look too bad though.

Akela99
03-06-2012, 06:41 PM
I am wondering how many they will actually sell over two years post codex. I can't imagine too many people who invested in third party Twolves wanting to add the GW plastics.

Lord Inquisitor
03-06-2012, 07:21 PM
They look much better than Canis. They actually look ferocious, the riders look like they could be falling of though.

slopike
03-06-2012, 07:33 PM
I like them quite a bit. They look just a bit better than the ones I hacked together from D&D dire wolves:)

So far due to budget reasons I have only been able to get the wolf lord and even though he is fine cast it looks great! Though I am slightly disappointed there are not more weapon options (though that can be fixed since it is finecast of course) and the head he comes with.

ozybonza
03-07-2012, 04:24 AM
I'm not too keen on them - the riders just seem a bit static in the way they are sitting on the wolves.

Etriagn
03-07-2012, 08:52 AM
I am not sure yet if I like the new models, I had an idea to build Thunderwolf Cavalry from the Ogre mounts but I guess I'll hav a look at the TWC sprues first.

Forrix
03-07-2012, 09:42 AM
i think these guys look great and in a suprise move my G.W actualy seem to be cheaper then a lot of 3rd party who could have seen that coming?

hippsman
03-08-2012, 08:45 PM
I went ahead and got the GW ones, but will the 3rd party ones still be legal in a tourney?

miteyheroes
03-09-2012, 02:13 AM
I really really like them. Gorgeous models. The new Nids are great too. Oh, too many things and not enough time/money!

dabral
03-09-2012, 10:50 AM
the thunder wolves look great. I just cant stand the tiny little bucklers they are using for storm shields.

Milez
03-09-2012, 06:01 PM
the models are sexy, just put the feet on before putting the wolf body together. plus how the SS go on the hands I will never know,I just took normal arms and attached the SS to that

George Labour
03-09-2012, 10:30 PM
I haven't had time to get any yet as my gaming funds are tied up in battletech but I've been curious in how these new plastic wolves compare to the mythicast ones.

From the pictures they seem to be about the same size and might even be of a similar style with the mythicast ones having more fur on their bodies. I also imagine the plastic will be just a wee bit sturdier than the resin ones..though I've not had to many problems with the mythicast material.

So anyone out there with both types that can tell me if my assumptions are accurate?

doom-kitten
03-10-2012, 02:33 AM
I don't like them at all, they don't make any sense to me, why are marines riding dogs? How does a massive dog increase their toughness? How do they gain a 3++ with a SS that can't even block the majority of the model? How do the wolves spines not snap when they jump a rock and a 700+ pound man in power armour (who's not even really strapped down), comes crashing down on his spine? I hate dogs...their so not awesome. Wheres my space marines on tigers, I DEMAND KITTY MARINES!

George Labour
03-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Their faith in the emperor and hatred of his foes overcome any trifling matters such as people's need for rationality in a scifi faery tale horrorverse .

Lord Severus
03-10-2012, 02:13 PM
I had bought 6 from Bits Pudlo, they came out to be about 35 dollars a piece, plus I had to supply the space marine bodies and arms. These are a good price, I little smaller than I thought they would be, but alot of good bits in there as well.

doom-kitten
03-11-2012, 01:03 AM
Their faith in the emperor and hatred of his foes overcome any trifling matters such as people's need for rationality in a scifi faery tale horrorverse .

Figured that would be said, ah well I still don't like them and be honest, Marines + Tigers = Awesome Sauce. :D

Kataklysm
03-11-2012, 04:50 AM
they look 1000% better than anything chapterhouse has put out.