PDA

View Full Version : Eldar seer council on jetbikes and assaulting

Foredrifter
09-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Hey everyone,

I have a quick question, my Seer council shoots with its signing spears at a landraider, destroying it, forcing a squad of marines out the hatches, now.. as the seer council can move 6" anywhere in the assault phase... can I assault if the unit is within assault range!?

Thanks for any replies.

/Rob

Nabterayl
09-17-2009, 02:19 PM
A unit can assault the occupants of a transport if it destroyed that transport in the shooting phase, yes, but it has nothing to do with being on an eldar jetbike. Page 67 of the rulebook:

Note: remember that all models in a single unit fire simultaneously, so a squad cannot take out a transport with its lascannon and then mow down the occupants with their bolters. However, if a transport is destroyed (either result) by a ranged attack, the unit that shot it may assault the now disembarked passengers, if it is allowed to assault according to the assault rules.

DarkLink
09-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Yes you could assault that unit, but that is the only unit you could assault. The rules that prevent you from assaulting a different unit than the one you shot only prevent you from assaulting them, not from moving. You can move all you want (or at least you can move 6" all you want), but that does not let you assault a different squad than the one you shot, with the exception mentioned above.

09-18-2009, 09:06 AM
Remember though, that since you have an eligible assault target, if you can make it work you can multi-assault. You only have to stay in coherency and get each model in the initial squad in base-to-base before you hit another squad.

The best thing to do with the Seer Council is to multi-assault to control your otherwise impressive ability to wipe out your target and get shot up in the following turn (tanks, if you can hit them in multi assault are a great way of allocating attacks to accomplish this). You want to end your assault phase with only 1 or 2 enemies left alive so you're immune to shooting but will get free on the enemies turn and ready for a fresh assault on yours.

Duke
09-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Hence the importance of Fortune.... Just in case!

Inquisitor Malaclypse
09-18-2009, 11:58 AM
cool, that changes a lot of things.

question to add on this, if i shoot an opposing unit and wipe it out during the shooting phase can my shooters now assault a different opposing unit?

can't seem to get a straight answer from any one locally on the previous question and on this one.

Foredrifter
09-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Right -

Firstly thanks for answering the question I asked, I last played way back in the 3rd edition.. so I'm still learning... haha.

So my seer council on bikes can shoot down a tank then assault its occupents, but not shoot a unit dead then assault a different unit.

Secondly.. what happens if two units shoot the tank, one fails now a the second unit shoots and destroy's the tank, can the original unit that shot at the tank and failed to destroy it, then assault the unit that jumps out as the tank has now been destroyed?

Thanks in advance.

/Rob

Culven
09-18-2009, 01:42 PM
So my seer council on bikes can shoot down a tank then assault its occupents, but not shoot a unit dead then assault a different unit.
correct

Secondly.. what happens if two units shoot the tank, one fails now a the second unit shoots and destroy's the tank, can the original unit that shot at the tank and failed to destroy it, then assault the unit that jumps out as the tank has now been destroyed?
No. Only the unit that destroyed the Transport may assault the transported unit.

Nabterayl
09-18-2009, 01:53 PM
question to add on this, if i shoot an opposing unit and wipe it out during the shooting phase can my shooters now assault a different opposing unit?

No. Page 33 of the rulebook:

a unit that fired in the Shooting phase can only assault the unit that it shot at - it cannot assault a different unit to the one it previously shot at. However, see the exception over the page for multiple targets.

The only exceptions listed in the book are the multiple-target assault (page 34) and assaulting the passengers of a vehicle you destroyed in the shooting phase (page 67). As you'll see if you read page 34, in order to conduct a multiple assault, you must first assault the unit you shot at (if you shot at anybody).

So if you wipe out your target in the shooting phase, you just wiped out your only legal assault target.

This is one of those cases in the rules where occasionally you don't want to shoot, or shoot with all your weapons, prior to launching an assault (Combat Tactics is another such situation).

Foredrifter
09-19-2009, 07:12 AM
correct

No. Only the unit that destroyed the Transport may assault the transported unit.

Thanks for the quick reply, was just double checking, I thought this might be the case anyway.

/Rob