PDA

View Full Version : Hell blade style landspeeder???

prof.cephalopod
03-05-2012, 04:44 PM
So I've ventured into scratch building with a dreadclaw and it went well, now I'm going to attempt a hell blade style landspeeder my only thing is I understand I'll have to alter scale and design and that is not an issue.

My thoughts are that would people be okay with this and 2 how would I handle the open top aspect?

Presently my plans involve a heavily cut up landspeeder and a ton of plasticard. The space marines are now sitting as they would be In an apache or fighter jet 1 in front of the other. With a nose gun and the guy in the back standings booting a top mounted gun made using a rhino hatch and gun mount. But it really doesn't convey open topped to me.

Thoughts?

PRoeske
03-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Well, except for the Landspeeder Storm, a landspeeder just isn't open-topped.

So I don't see why bother with the problem.

By the way, awesome idea :).

Grt. Pim

Meigeall
03-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Not difficult to understand. If I was to just look at a land speeder, I'd think it was open-topped as well.

jugglingfool
03-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Seems doable.

burning crome
03-05-2012, 07:03 PM
If you go back a edition (or it might be two) then you get your answer. Back when fire form hatched made the tank count as open topped, then power Armour migrated the rule since it was supposed as tough as said hatchs. So the land speeder is opened topped. It just that the pilots armour is as resilient as the rest of it, hence no open topped rule. The storm is maned by scouts is only scout armour as so it get the open topped rule.

prof.cephalopod
03-05-2012, 07:16 PM
So now that that's settled, since it's open topped but not really my issue is a non point correct?

An how much bigger/ different than a land speeder would you guys think would be okay?

As in what would you allow in a game? Or better yet a tournament?

Also since I'm changing the layout of the guns to being center of mass 1 under slung and 1 on top would that effect your opinion

arget8
03-05-2012, 11:22 PM
This should be interesting, I'll be checking on this log.

PRoeske
03-06-2012, 02:54 AM
Indeed, as a landspeeder isn't open-topped dulewise, I really wouldn't have a problem here.

As for th size: as long as it's roughly the same size, and the weapon-mounts are rougly in the same place, it should be ok. Just be carefull not to make it to small or to large, as it might be "modelling for advantage".

Cheers.

Pim

Dragonlv8
03-06-2012, 04:54 AM
I'd say, depends how cool looking it is. I find that with converted models, if they are slightly too big or too small, I don't mind at all so long as they look good.

AlMalik
03-06-2012, 06:18 AM
Awsome idea. Give us some pictures

prof.cephalopod
03-09-2012, 08:06 AM
Presently still gathering materials probably starting this weekend.
Only things I still need is a rhino hatch plus gunner to use for the heavy bolter guy on top.

As far as the assault cannon I think I'm going to try to convert the space wolves terminator assault cannon for my under slung nose gun.

I think it'll look cool just wondering what everyone else thought about scale etc.

Also decided to build a razorback out of parts I had laying around and plasticard instead of buying a new 1.

Gonna use an old rhino hull bulked out with plasticard and some Lemun Russ tank track housings with custom tank tracks that will be angular. Using land raider assault cannons and plasticard to make it razorbacky.

Just need detail bits for both projects and then we'll see how it goes. I'll cut some card stock for mock ups and templates and then get started this weekend.

Probably start a separate hobby blog for both vehicles and my other minis.

Dark wolves hooooo!!!!!??!!