Aenir
09-16-2009, 11:28 PM
I am thinking of perhaps hobbying myself up a Land Raider Ares Pattern

Any tips/tricks/instructions?

:D

Aenir
09-22-2009, 07:33 AM
I have hit a roadblock and im not quite sure

what thickness plasticard should i use to expand the dozer blade?

Cryl
09-22-2009, 08:43 AM
I'd be interested to know how you crack that problem. When I did mine that was the bit that I left out (doesn't look too bad without it tbh) as I could see me creating more problems than the benefit would be worth.

What are you using for the sponsons? I ended up with the heavy flamers from the baneblade sprue on a redeemer style sponson assembly and then scratch built panels from plasticard to form the guards. The trickest bit was boxing in the vindicator fans at the exhaust end of the land raider chasis... I confess to just wanting the model finished by then so my work isn't the best :P

finished beast can be seen at the back of this photo http://img188.imageshack.us/i/p1010051b.jpg/ sorry only one to hand and not at home to take new ones

Just seen this thread now but if any of my mistakes can help you out I'll happily do so :)

Aenir
09-22-2009, 11:07 AM
chances are i will just use the Redeemer cannon things as TW HF, as they are double barreled anyway

(ewww smurfs!!) :D

the fans seem easy, (havent done them yet, im thinking pop them right next to the exhaust in back, GS them in perhaps?)
I dont know if i will plasticard it up, it DOES seem to be more trouble than its worth.

Im wondering if i can magnetize much of this so i can swap out Ares/Crusader on a game by game basis

Cryl
09-23-2009, 09:19 AM
yeah, I thought the fans would be easy as well... they weren't, they were a ***** although this was one of the first major conversion jobs I ever did. The problem is not so much that they don't quite fit, a bit of GS solves that problem but that they need to be square and the exhaust area on a LR drops down from the hull to the exhausts which needs to be boxed in with plasticard. You might come up with a good solution but I find it the weakest part of my conversion tbh.

I also nearly went with the flamestorm cannons but figured that they're quite a bit longer than the heavy flamers shown in the datasheet so opted for the solution I used. FS cannons would probably be neater though!

What chapter are you doing this for out of interest?

santa cruz warhammer
09-23-2009, 09:26 AM
here's a link to our blog which has a excellent Ares to look at:

Santa Cruz Warhammer (http://santacruzwarhammer.blogspot.com/2007/12/kit-bashed-land-raider-ares.html)

enjoy
Mike

Alvena
09-23-2009, 09:38 AM
sweet ^^

Cryl
09-23-2009, 09:42 AM
yeah nice... I'd love to see some pics of the back top area to see how you did the fans (that I mentioned in earlier posts) if you've got any?

Aenir
09-23-2009, 10:02 AM
I saw that, I was intimidated though, as it is just done :D

no step by step :)

Gonna Be my DA successors (name pending)

paint em almost like normal DA

lets see

red trim, Hawk Turq. + DA Green for armor (on all marines)

Bleached bone + a little bit (i mean VERY little) boltgun metal for vehicles, with a DA green spattering for camo purposes (just paint a green line around the thing)

archimbald
09-23-2009, 01:46 PM
think it looks great without extended dozer balde

santa cruz warhammer
09-24-2009, 03:47 PM
I added some more pics to the link of the Ares, including the fans.

John
Santa Cruz Warhammer

Brass Scorpion
09-24-2009, 06:27 PM
I took a picture of an Ares conversion for one of my articles on BoLS last year. Here's a link:
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2008/12/tanksgiving-report-part-1-forces.html

Aenir
09-24-2009, 06:58 PM
I added some more pics to the link of the Ares, including the fans.

John
Santa Cruz Warhammer

you cut up the vindi fans to make that?

santa cruz warhammer
09-25-2009, 12:49 AM
Yes, I trimed them up and sanded them down on the underside till they were just the fans and braces, and glued them on over the Raiders original grates.

John
Santa Cruz Warhammer

emperorsaxe
09-25-2009, 07:48 AM
That is a neat lookin' conversion. Definitly a close assault vehicle.
Respects, Emperorsaxe.

Cryl
09-25-2009, 08:44 AM
With hindsight that's exactly what I should have done instead of trying to create a level panel across the top of the land raider... looks nice and a clever way of solving that problem

Aenir
09-25-2009, 10:46 AM
that seemsmuch easier than gluing the thing, i might just have to do that :)

Aenir
09-25-2009, 09:17 PM
ok, I have finally stopped planning and have opened the kits, I hope to give you guys a step by step for future ares conversions

Aenir
09-25-2009, 09:38 PM
step 1: Open both kits, wonder what I have gotten into, whimper, hide in corner.

Step 2: man up and start clipping

Aenir
09-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Its done, and had a game with it :D

It did pretty well