PDA

View Full Version : Jervis answers FAQ's

Wildeybeast
02-25-2012, 05:41 AM
A bit of a public service announcement for those who wonder each month whether it is worth getting the latest WD. Standard Bearer this month sees Jervis answering the question he most commonly gets asked at public events (assumedly in a futile attempt to stop people constantly asking him the same questions). Whilst the answers are probably what your seasoned gamer would expect, it's nice to see Jervis giving us another insight into the design process and trying to connect with the gaming public. I won't spoil the article by gioving you the answers, but the burning questions we all keep bugging him with are:
What are you working on?
When will there be a new book for my army
What is your favourite army?
How do I get to be a games designer and work at the studio?
How do you decide what to release?
How do you playtest the rules?

Keep up the good work Jervis.

PhatCat
02-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Why wait for the WD? Here's the answers.

Q: What are you working on?
Jervis: **** off, wanker. We sell a ****ing $10 magazine for that kind of news. You don't get it for FREE.

When will there be a new book for my army?
Jervis: I said, **** off, wanker. We'll nerf your army in order to get you to buy new models soon enough. Or in 10 years if you're a Xenos.

Jervis: Anything with power armour. Except the Sisters. **** the Sisters right in the arse.

Jervis: Answer these questions. Do you work well in isolation, removed from any concept of fairness and balance, and react with irrational anger at any notion of criticism in your game system? Do you enjoy making rules for a model company, NOT a game company? Do you get "excited" by power armour and "turned off" by Xenos? Then you might have a future at Games Workshop. If not, **** off, wanker.

Jervis: We have a dartboard with pictures on it. On a bullseye, we put an entire product line into hiatus just to **** with the customers. (See: Tyranids, Space Wolves, anything else that doesn't have a model for years despite being a "model company," NOT a game company).

Jervis: [endless laughter] **** me, mate. Seriously?!

Wildeybeast
02-29-2012, 01:15 PM
What an insightful and intelligent contribution, thank you so much for that.

Morgan Darkstar
02-29-2012, 02:36 PM
What an insightful and intelligent contribution, thank you so much for that.

Roflmao! :D

jonsgot
02-29-2012, 03:36 PM

Jervis: **** off, wanker. We sell a ****ing $10 magazine for that kind of news. You don't get it for FREE.

Jervis: I said, **** off, wanker. We'll nerf your army in order to get you to buy new models soon enough. Or in 10 years if you're a Xenos.

Jervis: Anything with power armour. Except the Sisters. **** the Sisters right in the arse.

Jervis: Answer these questions. Do you work well in isolation, removed from any concept of fairness and balance, and react with irrational anger at any notion of criticism in your game system? Do you enjoy making rules for a model company, NOT a game company? Do you get "excited" by power armour and "turned off" by Xenos? Then you might have a future at Games Workshop. If not, **** off, wanker.

Jervis: We have a dartboard with pictures on it. On a bullseye, we put an entire product line into hiatus just to **** with the customers. (See: Tyranids, Space Wolves, anything else that doesn't have a model for years despite being a "model company," NOT a game company).

Man you just saved me $10s :D

Gir
02-29-2012, 03:49 PM

I was waiting for the funny, BUT THE FUNNY NEVER CAME :(

Kawauso
02-29-2012, 04:06 PM

Same. :P

Though I usually want to headdesk when people make jokes about playtesting, and the like. Because fans have no idea how difficult game design and playtesting actually are about 99% of the time. 5th ed. is pretty damn well-balanced considering how small the design teams for 40k are.

Demonus
02-29-2012, 04:20 PM
I chuckled PhatCat. **** these other wankers

:D

eldargal
03-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Actually the answers were really good and a bit more insightful than some (cough warseer uncough) were giving them credit for. For example when asked how they chose what to do next, he actually made the point that they would wait until they had an enthusiastic team wanting to do a project rather than saying 'we have to do this next'. This means that some projects take longer than others.

He also confirmed that GW were committed to supporting all current armies, in other words, Wood Elves won't be squatted.:p

We've heard these things in some form or another from private conversions and seminars at various Games Days but it is good to have a bunch of them in one place.

Wildeybeast
03-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Actually the answers were really good and a bit more insightful than some (cough warseer uncough) were giving them credit for. For example when asked how they chose what to do next, he actually made the point that they would wait until they had an enthusiastic team wanting to do a project rather than saying 'we have to do this next'. This means that some projects take longer than others.

He also confirmed that GW were committed to supporting all current armies, in other words, Wood Elves won't be squatted.:p

We've heard these things in some form or another from private conversions and seminars at various Games Days but it is good to have a bunch of them in one place.

Thanks Eldargal, gald someone read the answers before commenting on them. I agree with your point that no armies will get ditched, though it's worth pointing out you may have to wait quite a while for some as Jervis does say that they sometimes take years and they won't release something until they are happy that it's really good (DE being the perfect example of this). So, no WE anytime soon :(

pgarfunkle
03-02-2012, 08:18 AM
Hi Eldargal thanks for the reassurance about the Wood Elves not getting squatted, I would be very upset as I've just started them as my second fantasy army.

I share your :( Wildeybeast if there is no army book for them soon. I am still hoping that there will be one towards the end of the year since there will be a new Black Library book focusing on them in September

andrewm9
03-02-2012, 10:06 AM
The article was certainly enlightening if nothing else. What it tells me is that the studio is full or marine nerds too. :) There is no one at the studio is a champion of the Sisters army. If there were we wouldn't have had a crummy WD codex. Before I get jumped on, yes, its serviceable and even winnable but its not an exciting list to work with.

Wildeybeast
03-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Hi Eldargal thanks for the reassurance about the Wood Elves not getting squatted, I would be very upset as I've just started them as my second fantasy army.

I share your :( Wildeybeast if there is no army book for them soon. I am still hoping that there will be one towards the end of the year since there will be a new Black Library book focusing on them in September

I think the issue is that a project only really gets going when it has someone willing to take it under their wing and see it through to creation. That means having a clear and good vision for the army. The WE problem is that no one seems to know how to make them work in 8th Ed without them losing their unique character.

The article was certainly enlightening if nothing else. What it tells me is that the studio is full or marine nerds too. :) There is no one at the studio is a champion of the Sisters army. If there were we wouldn't have had a crummy WD codex. Before I get jumped on, yes, its serviceable and even winnable but its not an exciting list to work with.

To be fair, Jervis says that they are fans of whichever army they are working on at the time. The problem that SoB had was they desperately needed something doing to them, but no one really knew what to do so, they got a rules update as a make-do and I suspect to see if this led to spike in model sales due to new players having a free codex. If it did, expect to see a new codex early in 6th ed. If not, they may languish for a while longer.

eldargal
03-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Actually they were rumoured to have a proper book as well which is why the WD one caught peopel by surprise. Someone suggested it was to fill a gap in the release schedule when Necrons were delayed but obviously that is just speculation.

AwesomeWolf
03-04-2012, 02:31 AM
To be fair, Jervis says that they are fans of whichever army they are working on at the time. The problem that SoB had was they desperately needed something doing to them, but no one really knew what to do so, they got a rules update as a make-do and I suspect to see if this led to spike in model sales due to new players having a free codex. If it did, expect to see a new codex early in 6th ed. If not, they may languish for a while longer.

"What, there hasn't been a surge in sales of our all-metal (except a couple of vehicles) direct-only army after we released a dull, weak, only in WD codex that has very few options, half of which is bad, and a central gimmick that doesn't scale with points? ZOUNDS!!!"

andrewm9
03-05-2012, 08:08 AM

They really didn't need anything done to them if that is waht they gave us. I happened to like their mechanics just fine. They could have published an FAQ/errata to adjust point costs. The codex wasn't free either. It cost $18 US at cover price. So for that price we got a significantly smaller codex (about 1/3 the size) at over half the price. What sisters needed was basic model and line support (articles gving some apoc rules, formations, etc). Since the days of the late 3rd edition release until late last year, Sisters have had neither really. If they thought model sales would spike much (if at all) they were high. The army has the most expensive troop choice both monetarily and possibly points wise. Its also harder to get as only GW stores and online can sell new models. I will say this though. The aftermarket on them has been quite high. I went through a phase where I considered selling them its so good.

eldargal
03-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Well the new list make them SoB instead of Inquisition with the option to take some SoB, which is an improvement in my book. I really hated C:WH, even if it did allow for a much more characterful SoB than the current thing, even if the Inquisitorial elements spoilt it.

Shotgun Justice
03-05-2012, 08:52 AM
@eldargal why did you hate C:WH so?
I only bought it for the single sentence in italics allowing ISTs to be fielded as Arbites but came to really like the all sisters army, much more fun and interesting than anything with ISTs or inducted anything.

damnthevalley
03-05-2012, 03:33 PM

Believable, haha.

eldargal
03-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Waited five years for a new SoB book only to get one where SoB played a relatively minor part and were squished together with a bunch of stuff that had nothing to do with the Ecclesiarchy based on the most flimsy retcon.

@eldargal why did you hate C:WH so?
I only bought it for the single sentence in italics allowing ISTs to be fielded as Arbites but came to really like the all sisters army, much more fun and interesting than anything with ISTs or inducted anything.

Cheexsta
03-05-2012, 10:58 PM
I found it amusing, if only because I was reading it with Jervis' voice in my head...

Anyway, this article actually sounds interesting. Might flip through it and see what kind of answers there actually are.

The Shadow King
03-06-2012, 05:44 AM
I didn't think much of Sisters, until I saw the White Dwarf codex. I would buy an Sisters army now if I had the money, as the new mechanics impressed me, seeming both fun and effective.

Revarien
03-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Waited five years for a new SoB book only to get one where SoB played a relatively minor part and were squished together with a bunch of stuff that had nothing to do with the Ecclesiarchy based on the most flimsy retcon.

As a very very avid Sister of Battle player, I have to say that fluff wise: the sisters have almost no business traveling to a different planet with a force as large as 2000pts would grant, unless it were a special request by the inquisition. The reason I say this, is that they are content to send squads and a maybe a small contingent out, but a whole army? That would leave a shrine and reliquaries unguarded. The only thing that I think could get them to do that is a special request (whether they listen is a different matter). Even the force that went to repopulate/retake sanctuary 101 was around 1000pts (in game mechanics-wise).

I love the sisters, but no fluff I have ever read would ever justify the army traveling around, unless it by inquisitorial request... or even possibly special astartes request.

This is why I think having an inquisitor (albiet I don't think an ordo mallius inquisitor is appropriate... they have other resources and channels) and the inquisitor's resources in a Sister book is accurate. Do I think they should domineer the book? Absolutely not. Should they be an option. Very much yes.

ara989
03-06-2012, 11:28 AM
As a very very avid Sister of Battle player, I have to say that fluff wise: the sisters have almost no business traveling to a different planet with a force as large as 2000pts would grant, unless it were a special request by the inquisition. The reason I say this, is that they are content to send squads and a maybe a small contingent out, but a whole army? That would leave a shrine and reliquaries unguarded. The only thing that I think could get them to do that is a special request (whether they listen is a different matter). Even the force that went to repopulate/retake sanctuary 101 was around 1000pts (in game mechanics-wise).

I love the sisters, but no fluff I have ever read would ever justify the army traveling around, unless it by inquisitorial request... or even possibly special astartes request.

This is why I think having an inquisitor (albiet I don't think an ordo mallius inquisitor is appropriate... they have other resources and channels) and the inquisitor's resources in a Sister book is accurate. Do I think they should domineer the book? Absolutely not. Should they be an option. Very much yes.

I always did find attacking Sisters armies to be a bit out of place. We tended to shoehorn our local Sisters player into the defensive role whenever he felt like putting his ladies on the table.

calltoarms
03-06-2012, 11:35 AM
I guess it's a sign of the times that it's no longer one of their FAQ's to ask "When will Squats be back." :)

Dlatrex
03-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Sisters on the way to being Squatted?

ozybonza
03-06-2012, 03:49 PM

But it seems that when it was written that way back in 2nd ed when they were released (and throughout 3rd/4th with the Witchhunters codex) sisters were mainly pitches as "allies" for IG/SM, rather than standalone armies. The fluff fit the marketing strategy. I'm happy for the fluff to change in that regard.

eldargal
03-06-2012, 04:13 PM
The new fluff in the WD book helps with that, it hints at the possibility of their being far, far more SoB then the original books imply, plenty for their to be expeditionary forces as well garrison forces in shrines and such. When there were only 12000 odd SoB in the Imperium it didn't really work so well.

Psychosplodge
03-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Didn't the original fluff specify "countless minor orders"? or am I starting to go senile?

andrewm9
03-07-2012, 07:12 AM
Sisters have always had their Wars of Faith which they have every business going into. They are more than a defensive force. In fact the way their rules are constructed they do poorly if they mainly defensive IMO.

mullinstron
03-08-2012, 05:16 AM
He also confirmed that GW were committed to supporting all current armies, in other words, Wood Elves won't be squatted.

Thank god but where are they ?

shabbadoo
03-08-2012, 05:32 AM
In the woods of course.

dwez
03-08-2012, 06:18 AM
They must be FAQs because I'm pretty sure he answered these same questions in another article about 12 months ago, which is why I've glossed over the article this time.

Nightspawn
03-08-2012, 06:53 AM
I've beem upset with Jervis since the release of the Dark Angel codex. Yeah, it was his fault.