PDA

View Full Version : Some New Crons WIP hobby log

Brymm
02-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Hey all,
Started updating my old Necrons and bought some new models. Bought red rod from Plastruct. The lord has my old paint job but I hit it with the airbrush to get the red glow. I love it.

Brymm
02-24-2012, 11:53 AM
And my Scarabs, I will try to grab a better picture. I'm working on my Ghost Ark and my other Barge. I have 3 Spiders done also, but they are packed away in a box else where.

Jenn
02-24-2012, 07:03 PM
I really like the Lychegaurd. The red lining on the silver shields is beautiful looking.

Brymm
02-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Thanks! I was really happy how they turned out too. I think red is so much a breath of fresh air over the green you always see.

Jenn
02-25-2012, 04:46 AM
I completely agree. I went with blue myself but in the long run I kinda wish I had gone with red... Thinking of starting a second Necron army with red rods now that my current Icecrons are at 3000. Seeing a nicely painted redcrons army such as yours is definitely pushing me closer to that path, thats for sure.

damnthevalley
03-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Dude, I absolutely love the new necron models. I have been painting the hell out of them lately, and they were a much needed improvement to the line. I love the Lychguard models, but I can't justify using them at what they cost.

Brymm
03-17-2012, 11:11 AM
My first stalker conversion. I got enough stuff to make two!

setto
03-17-2012, 11:17 AM
looking good! i went with red also but used a bit more red than you did, i like the idea of ceramics on parts of the armour.

Hammerhead
03-21-2012, 05:46 PM
Your Necrons are looking great, especially with the red energy glow. Can't wait for more updates as I'm just starting a Necron army and need inspiration :)

Dez667
03-21-2012, 05:59 PM
I like your paint scheme, but I think it would look better if you brought the bone color out more. There needs to be something to break up the big, metallic planes. Have you considered adding the bone color to the joints and seams in the armor?

Conversion looks great!

Brymm
03-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Yeah, I had originally intended for bone to be the "royal color", so as it stands, my Warriors would have no bone on them at all.
I might change my mind though. Or maybe change the rifle stock color? Orignally, this was speed painting, then I kind of got carried away.

troglodytesrus
03-21-2012, 06:17 PM
love the choice of red, your lord is fantastic :)

allenacity
03-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Awesome Lychguard, and i think the red instead of the green is awesome.

Narceron
03-21-2012, 08:41 PM
I always enjoy seeing new necrons, :) Where are all the scarabs, :)(

Brymm
03-23-2012, 01:34 PM
The scarabs are in the second post. I considered making more than 30 just in case I ever ran the 30 scarabs + 9 Spyders list (why not, right??).

I am about 80% done with my next stalker. I will try to post a little "how to" and a parts list tonight. I'm really happy with the results for the price work put in. Stay tuned.

To everyone else: Thanks for all of the kind words!!!

Kawauso
03-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Nice 'Crons! Your OSL and Stalker conversion are particularly good. I think the base for the Stalker might be a bit small, though.

Brymm
03-23-2012, 04:16 PM
I thought that too. Its only a placeholder at the moment, I want to pick up a few Dreadknight bases for my stalkers. I hope its close to the real size when the real model comes out.
My game group thought maybe it should be dreadnaught sized. I figured Defiler sized. We will see.

Oh and about the light-source painting, that is my first attempt! I read a quick tutorial on it and fired up my new airbrush. It was on that old Lord that I had painted years ago, I took off the old green rod, hit it with a super light spray of red from the tip of the Warscythe and then glued the new red rod in place. It turned out great. My daugther thought the new rods actually were glowing!

Brymm
03-25-2012, 05:56 AM
This is my second stalker conversion.

What I bought:

Ghost Ark kit
Ghost Ark "Cresent Chassie" from an EBAY bits seller ($7!!!)
4 Deathmark guns (I had them already)
... That's it!

That means I paid about $25 for each stalker. Not a bad deal.

What I did was assemble both Cresent Chassies according to the instructions. You're now left with the body/cockpit piece with no legs and no guns.

The legs are the "ribs" from the ghost ark kit. This is the only REAL work you have to do. Clip off the very ends of them and fashion them into points. Next, hold each "leg" up to an exhaust port and roughly score about where you want to cut the circle part of the leg so it will fit into the vent.
Next, cut the circle part of the "legs" on the scores you made, trim appropriately with your hobby knife, and glue into place.

For the gun, cut down two of the Synaptic Disintergrators and glue them into the open port that the "rib assembly" of the Ghost Ark would normally go.

Then BAMN! You are in business. My kits and bits only came with one of the "drivers," so I had to use a repairing necron as my other pilot. He looks like he's lying in a some sort of bed hibernating or mind controlling the vehicle. I may attach wires to him in various places to make it look like he's "linked in" or something.

nacnudllah
03-25-2012, 06:09 AM
The lighting on the necron lord looks awesome. Also the glowing orbs (I don't actually know what type of wargear those are, but they look great).

Asymmetrical Xeno
03-25-2012, 06:58 AM
Awesome conversions! very functional but look great as well. Now you're making me wish I had more money so I could pay for the rest of my successor necron army.

Cvife
03-25-2012, 03:55 PM
they look great, is always great to see necrons without the glowy green rods!

Iyonjin
03-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Really nice 'crons there :D

I do think it might work well if you highlighted the red up somewhat towards orange, it would make for a sort of liquid-flame or molten-metal kind of energy effect. Then again, I'm inordinately fond of that aesthetic.

Brymm
03-27-2012, 06:45 PM
I got some better pics with a much better camera. I notice a lot of flaws now! I'm apparently a vision impaired *******. Plus, my superfast tomb spyders. Close up of Scarabs. Obyron which looks suspiciously like a Lychguard with a Warscythe and a close up of my super fast lightning effect.
Enjoy!

MatthewTiger56
03-27-2012, 11:31 PM
Kudos! Easily one of the cooler paint jobs I've ever seen for the 'Crons.