PDA

View Full Version : Chapterhouse True Scale Marine kits

Gotthammer
02-24-2012, 06:53 AM
Sorry, I mean "Knights Praetorius Conversion kit" (http://chapterhousestudios.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=128&product_id=204) ;)

http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/at/2012/2/22/38068cee842933632228aa3f9f3bc20b_10273.jpg__thumb

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm106/Linnear1701/40K/ChapterhouseTSM2.jpg

Please note we have a very limited number of these kits currently onhand, we are expecting a main release date of March 5th, 2012 and any orders placed before then will be filled on a first-come first serve basis once stock arrives.

The "Knights Praetorius" are the Empress' most loyal soldiers. Each is endowed with a touch of the Empress' psychic powers when admitted into the unit. While few in number, each is a match for 10 lesser men, the psychic unity with the Empress allows a measure of prescience as well as formidable endurance. Both men and woman are allowed to test to join the unit, but few survive this testing.

Each resin kit comes unassembled and unpainted. The28 mm TRU-Scale kit comes with enough components to assemble a squad of 6 "Knight Praetorius" - 12 assorted armored pauldrons, 6 torsos, 6 sets of legs and 6 equipment backpacks. Please note it is necessary to purchase heads, arms, weapons and bases to assemble as shown. Chapterhouse Studios Marine Heads and weapons are scaled appropriately for use with this kit. We recommend 28mm scale model kits for assembly with this kit.

Shown examples were modeled and painted by Stephen Smith and consist of numerous components from different manufactures for the weapons, arms, heads and weapon effects can be seen in the gallery on our website here. (http://chapterhousestudios.com/index.php?route=news/gallery&album_id=3#!prettyPhoto)

via Apocalypse 40k (http://apocalypse40k.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/chapterhouse-studios-releases-true.html)

DrLove42
02-24-2012, 06:56 AM
From the top picture i'd have said no. His head seems to be sinking into his body

But they look cool I guess.

But aren't the heads/ guns going to look small on larger bodies?

Gir
02-24-2012, 06:58 AM
People still don't quite grasp the fact that marines are in scale. It's most other stuff (I'm looking at you, imperial guard) that are out of scale.

Grenadier
02-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Indeed. A Catachan's arm appears brawnier than a Marine's for example. Of course making non-Marine models in a truer scale to their size would render many of them much more difficult to work with.

What I really would like to see are vehicles brought to a truer scale for all the infantry, Marine or otherwise. A Rhino does not look like it could hold 5 marines let alone 10. And the Chimera looks as if only one Ogryn could fit inside if he crawled in and laid down.

Kawauso
02-24-2012, 09:18 AM
People still don't quite grasp the fact that marines are in scale. It's most other stuff (I'm looking at you, imperial guard) that are out of scale.

Yeah. I don't think I've seen any attempts at true-scale marines that have looked good to me...this is more of the same.

Though I do love me some Mk. 8 torsos.

Of course making non-Marine models in a truer scale to their size would render many of them much more difficult to work with.

True, though Necrons and Dark Eldar seem to work out just fine (only problem I've had lately has been that stupid 'thick' plastic glue with scrawny Necron wrists attaching to arms).

In fact, DE would probably be along the sort of scale true-scale IG ought to be, wouldn't they? Just a bit shorter.

Also I remember seeing a post where a guy worked it out, and Rhinos are actually quite a bit bigger than they need to be to hold 10 marines.
If you've ever been in an APC, you'll have a better appreciation for how cramped they are. They are -literally- like clown cars.

gendoikari87
02-24-2012, 09:21 AM
From the top picture i'd have said no. His head seems to be sinking into his body

But they look cool I guess.

But aren't the heads/ guns going to look small on larger bodies?

that's because it's MK VIII armor...

wittdooley
02-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Did anyone see if they are going to be resin or metal? I think it isn't listed, or if it is I missed it.

Regardless of what is in scale, this is something I'd potentailly look at to paint up a nice display marines piece.

chapterhousestudios
02-24-2012, 09:32 AM
The Knights are resin pieces.

I am going to try to do a complete Knight assembled with Chapterhouse products since we have plenty of weapon-arms, weapons, heads and pad designs to choose from.

I think the end result will be something much nicer then the big marines people seem to want to use the kit for.

Imagine these heads with these weapons, and I plan on leaving the pads off or using some of the new armored shoulders that I just received with no backpack.

http://chapterhousestudios.com/image/cache/data/Spartan%20Heads-224x224.jpg

http://chapterhousestudios.com/image/cache/data/product%20images/Feb2012Releases/openclaw-500x500.jpg

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
02-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Am i reading into this that
Both men and woman are allowed to test to join the unit, but few survive this testing.

so does this mean you plan to make female Knights Praetorius?

Hiflt4
03-05-2012, 05:05 PM
As long as they do not include trademarked icons I dont see any problem. Im a fan of some of their upgrades.

Tzeentch13x
03-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Those helmets look awesome!

jugglingfool
03-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Meh.

Javin
03-05-2012, 08:34 PM
I like the Land raider upgrade. I used it on two land raiders. I will see if I can post pics of them.

Mytaru
03-06-2012, 02:12 AM
To me those right sized marines look pretty sweet.

Frostclaw
03-06-2012, 02:56 AM
When do we get more dynamic poses for these true-scaled (or not, as the thread was suggesting with the steroid'd Catachans) legs?

I've been looking for something that will allow me to chop up a Finecast Ragnar, add some bits, and make him more dynamic. Stock stand-still true-scale legs are great, don't get me wrong. But I think I speak for a lot of Space Wolves, Blood Angels, World Eaters, and Black Templars players (did I leave anyone out?) when I say we want something that looks like the guy's in-the-thick-of-it, as it were.

Dragonlv8
03-06-2012, 05:10 AM
Am i reading into this that so does this mean you plan to make female Knights Praetorius?

A female space marine look alike? Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this sounds bad?

Diagnosis Ninja
03-06-2012, 06:21 AM
Might be good for the odd centrepiece model, but I dunno. Never really wanted to try true scale Marines, seen as it would be a massive pain to do an army of them. Grey Knights maybes? Meh.

Would just be odd to see regular marines models used as Power Armour henchmen I guess.

Mr_E
03-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Honestly, I think these look like crap. Maybe I'm just used to the normal marines since I've been playing with them forever, but honestly, these look awful. Also, standing beside a rhino or a land speeder, these are going to look super ridiculous.

MajorMcNicol
03-06-2012, 08:15 AM
I always thought true-scale was pretty cool. When I first started in the hobby I wondered why some of my Guardsmen were taller than Space Marines... Glad to see someone working on true-scale production!

turiya64
03-06-2012, 10:11 AM
damn this is the first thing chapterhouse has put out that that i really want. there old stuff was just never anything i saw my self useing but i really want some of these.

Dlatrex
03-06-2012, 03:23 PM
It's a good look!

AnEnemy
03-06-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm not a fan. If I were to go true scale I'd just use Doghouse's tutorial most likely.

Cavscout
03-06-2012, 11:27 PM
I like the true scale marines. I just don't know how to add them to the army without looking funny.

Embergem
03-07-2012, 03:00 AM
I'll definitely have to get me some of these next time I start an Power Armour army.

Control NZ
03-07-2012, 04:29 AM
Having an army of them would really rule out transports, no way those guys would fit into a rhino.

electriceye83
03-07-2012, 06:19 AM
Might have to pick up a set or so for characters Ive got some ideas for....

electriceye83
03-07-2012, 06:21 AM
Also digging those iconoclast conversion kits, looking pretty tidy as well, somewhere in the middle of the proteus and mkII land raiders. very nice.

Cvife
03-07-2012, 06:31 PM
They look good!

But I have to admit that I'm not a massive fan of true scale marines, I've always felt that while they look excellent as individual models or squads, they don't quite work as whole armies, not sure why though!

On the other hand, these guys could be good for kill team or other small scale games!

Chris*ta
03-08-2012, 02:51 PM
What I noticed, especially in the first picture, was that the ankles look entirely wrong, it looks like the feet are attached to the end of the shin plates, rather than the shin armour extending down on the side of the feet.

May just be the result of the angle of the picture though.

Thornblood
03-08-2012, 03:40 PM
I would like to point out that the GW marines are hideously out of proportion (if not scale). These guys certainly redress the over-sized heads of GW minatures.

Stunning models. I might use them as a base for some primarchs because they will fit with my regular marines. Or custodian guard, which are supposed to be to a marine what a marine is to a man.

Franek_Dolas
03-09-2012, 10:34 PM

It'd be great if IG got new plastic kits that don't look so derpy like the current ones.

Blood Angel
03-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Interesting, although out of scale with other 40k models, at least I never thought the SM's looked out or proportion, now looking at one next to a tru scale it looks like the normal marine is way out of proportion. Like Ape arms and short squat legs out of proportion. I may have to try making a squad just to see the difference first hand.

Cpt Codpiece
03-10-2012, 12:16 AM
When you see 1st hand the difference between a GW stock marine and even the most simple True Scaled marine it is quite funny to think GW is still making them like that.

i am making my Blood Angels TS, its really easy to get a more realistic look with simple bits of plasticard and a touch of GS.

i really like the chapterhouse kit, but would prefer a legs only option as i really love using the Forge World Mk 4 & 5 bodies and heads.

rhinos and such are not even in scale for standard GW models so it does not matter if the TS models are a little taller, was it phill kelly that said if the game was how the fluff would have you believe, then armies of marines would have like 12 guys against a normal army as we know it (kind of like old GK LOL).

exinfris
03-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Wish I had known ablut these earlier. Oh well, there goes my tax return.

MajorWesJanson
03-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Also digging those iconoclast conversion kits, looking pretty tidy as well, somewhere in the middle of the proteus and mkII land raiders. very nice.

I'm not all that impressed with mine. It's rather mediocre in design, especially compared to my Mk IIb and Armored Proteus kits from FW. I can see about getting comparison shots at some point.

gungagreg
03-14-2012, 03:48 PM
True-scale marines...now even easier to trace LOS to!

thingol
03-15-2012, 08:34 AM
Isn't this drifting more toward infringement? This goes beyond the basic "upgrade and compatible bitz" range chapterhouse has carried thus far.

Kazwulf
03-15-2012, 09:15 AM
Infringement ... probably not, because the major issues were the linking of models with blanket copyright fluff and the like. It gets really fuzzy in the legal sense when you take a model and name it something that is covered by Games Workshop copyright. You could sculpt your own Games Workshop models and sell them, even if they are borderline copies, save for a few parts (see my exception note below). The difference being, you can't use their naming conventions, but you can sure as hell utilize their aesthetic.

Note: There are exceptions to this rule, with things that are obvious: helmets, backpacks, aspects of the model that are uniquely identifiable as being within the 'Games Workshop' aesthetic. That doesn't mean that you could not model and sell your own, only that you have to be more careful. The model itself: armor configuration, shoulder pads, arms, hands, legs, feet, and even the look of the weapon, are too general to be covered by copyright.

heretic marine
03-15-2012, 10:45 AM
I really want some now. curse you economy, i don't have enough money to get some:(.

TheStrategist
03-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Good kit for vets/HQs. Maybe to represent artificer armour... I'll take 4 plz... :p

chapterhousestudios
03-15-2012, 01:18 PM
By all means feel free to put a order for the Knights kits. I just want to let you know we are running about 1-2 weeks behind on the order fulfillment for these.

There was a flood of preorders and I am just now filling those. You can still order them and get in the line for the new kits when they come in, Id be surprised if we can ever keep them on hand and in stock for longer then a day...

Demand is great, but I hate it when my suppliers cant keep up with my purchase orders!

Nick

p00zer
03-17-2012, 06:03 PM
that is some very cool looking stuff right there.

Javin
03-18-2012, 09:25 PM
I wish the chapterhouse female IG did not look so much like child soldiers. I would buy large amount of decent to scale female IG models.

faolan
03-19-2012, 05:28 AM
Hey Nick, can I just have that bloody Pilum bike up that you've been promising us for ages? :P

Meowcenary
03-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Not bad at all. I really like the way "marine's" helmet is signifigantly sunk into the "MKVIII" gorget; gives a realy sense of armored.

Lady Fenris
03-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Am i reading into this that so does this mean you plan to make female Knights Praetorius?

I really hope this means they will!

I have to admit, the idea is nice but I'm not a real fan of this true scale. The neckline ruins if for me.

betacentauri
03-21-2012, 05:45 PM
seems kinda ugly tbh...

Jampire
03-21-2012, 05:46 PM
Just... Awesome. I've been kinda meh about Chapterhouse when they first got started, but their stuff keeps getting better and better. Well done guys. Very very cool.

The Ghost
03-21-2012, 08:28 PM
As long as they do not include trademarked icons I dont see any problem. Im a fan of some of their upgrades.

I agree completely. Also I wish Chapter House made better jetbike models. Im just not a fan of them.

rebvamp13
03-21-2012, 08:45 PM
they look cool to bad i am not a space marine player

DirePilgrim
03-22-2012, 07:15 AM
My thought exactly - I have 20 years worth of DA sitting around - my fear is that if I start moving to Tru-scale I'll hate all my old minis

and I shudder when I contemplate the cost of starting a new army....

harveydent
03-22-2012, 07:22 AM
it's a nice kit. i ordered 2 and had no problems with them.

pathwinder14
03-23-2012, 05:52 AM

THANK YOU!!!.. FInally someone else notices it.
Marines - In scale
Eldar are tall yet thin so - In scale
Orks are large humanoid brutes- In scale
Nids are large bugs - In scale
IG - taller than they should be. Catachans arms are too big and disproportionate. Scale the humans down but leave everything else the same (tanks, weapons, artillary, etc.).

toketsukitsune
06-03-2012, 06:44 PM
These look great as a basis for my pre-heresy primarch conversions.