PDA

View Full Version : Necron 2k. Worldshaper doesnt work as hoped so.....

Sonikgav
02-21-2012, 09:04 PM
....heres my new reworked list without any of the bull**** tactics ive seen so far. Yes theres Scarabs but not TOO many, no Stormlord, No Worldshaper etc just an army with a tactic of its own. So what do u think?

Traveller - 165 (Walking with Tesla guys so he can use his ability)
Harbinger of Destruction - Solar Pulse - 55 (With Tesla Immortals)
Harbinger of Destruction - 35 (With Tesla Immortals)
Lord - Res Orb, Warscythe, Mindshackle Scarabs - 90 (With Gauss Immortals)
Lord - Res Orb, Warscythe, Mindshackle Scarabs - 90 (With Gauss Immortals)

Immortals x10 - Tesla - 170 (Travellers Upgrade)
Immortals x10 - Tesla - 170
Immortals x10 - Gauss - 170
+ Night Scythe - 100
Immortals x10 - Gauss - 170
+ Night Scythe - 100

Scarabs x6 - 90
Scarabs x5 - 75
Destroyers x3 - 120

Monolith - 200
Canoptek Spyder x2 - 100
Canoptek Spyder x2 - 100

Lords + Gauss go in Transports who Zoom up first turn under Nightfight, second turn it moves to a better position, drops off rapid firing Gauss death, hopefully Monolith Deepstrikes in and causes more distraction. Third turn Monolith (if it survives) starts portalling the walking units up, Tomb Spyders first to catch upto the Scarabs that no doubt have already reached enemy lines + Monstrous creatures that close are nasty anyway. Tesla's do long range fire + Traveller borrows vehicles guns etc. Destroyers spend the game looking for scouts/outflankers and small units of MEQ stuff.

Any thoughts?

Kaika87
03-05-2012, 04:18 PM
To start off, I'd drop the Monolith and Destroyers. Neither really do enough for their points and/or FOC slot, as much as the Old-Cron players hate to hear it.

The BRB FAQ ruling about line of sight from fire points really hit Anrakyr square in the Res Orbs, and as such I'd say leave him at home to nurse his wounds. The Mind in the Machine ability has such a short range that it's just not sensible to put him on foot and expect to take control of something worthwhile. And even if something does get within range, it'll be in the control of your opponent. He'll move the vehicle forward to you, and have it such that it can't get any friendly models in its field of fire, if even that. Anrakyr needs to hitch a ride to be effective, either in a transport he can leap out of, or with a Veil of Darkness Cryptek. Neither of these are terrible ideas, but ultimately the big problem is that you'll never get anything really juicy if the Traveler is footslogging.

Now, one possibility is to take Imotekh with the points saved on the Monolith and Destroyers. The Stormlord's night-fighting will force the enemy vehicles closer to you if they want to fire, and Anrakyr can be riding around in a transport, hopping out and hacking them, or just sitting in your base, proving a threat range of 24" (6" movement, 18" ability range) where enemy vehicles have to juggle getting close enough to penetrate night fighting, while trying to stay far enough that they don't get hijacked. But there's a cautionary tale about relying on night fighting, as all it will take is a Tau player who ate his blacksun-filter wheaties to ruin your day.

And now, Crypteks. One solar pulse and two eldritch lances are cute, but you're really not taking the most advantage of the unit. There are the aforementioned Veilteks, great for hopping around all game and contesting/capturing objectives. If you take Imotekh, have him pal around with a Chronometron. Or even take a ChronoTek to help with the deep strike scatter die from the Veiltek. One dark horse of the codex is the Seismic Cruicible, in my opinion. Pair him with a unit that has rapid fire (Gauss-Immortals or a 15-20-man blob of Warriors), stick them in terrain, and profit. It's not a tempting idea to try and charge a unit through cover that will reduce your charge range by D3", and where if you fail, you'll get a face full of rapid-fire S5 goodness. Beasts will still be problematic, but when are they not?

Oh, and I'm not a big fan of Night Scythes, really. The AV11 combined with the fact that you can never give them really solid cover does not make me happy, and I guarantee you'll be cursing the rules pertaining to it dying with a unit inside when you were trying to hold an objective on Turn 5.

One last tidbit for you, which is your use of Spyders. They are slow as all get-out, and I would NOT recommend trying to cross the board with them. Instead, how about parking them next to an objective holder as a counter-charge unit? Combine it with the Seismic Crucible above and watch your opponents a) fail their charge, b) get rapid-fired to hell and back, rounding it out with c) charged by 4 Monstrous Creatures. Good times.

All in all, this is just food for thought, tips for what I think of when I see your army and explanations.

Minex
03-05-2012, 04:22 PM
In my opinion the scarabfarm doesn't pack enough punch. I would switch the spiders for annihilation bark's.
I would also shrink down the Immortal-squads to get some more Crypteks with lances. Also command barges are a great thing - so maybe get another one with a Scythelord inside.
And last but not least drop the Desis - they are sadly out of date and not good at all in the new Necron Dex.

Sonikgav
03-07-2012, 05:05 AM
My list has already changed actually I just didn't update this. The Monolith is staying as its a deepstriking bomb and if it survives its the other way of getting my immortals moved up or Brought in if the Scythes get blown up.

The Scythes are staying. A 36" flat out move, especially if used in a Dawn of War deployment rush up the board. After they've dropped off they're just more mobile Tesla Destructors. They're aso the reason there's just one Solar Pulse. A turn of cover before they boost up the board.

The Spyders are gone, replaced by Annihilation Barges and now only using 1 unit of 7 Scarabs and Anrakyr has a Barge of his own. The Destroyers I could part with but the only thing that tempts me is a Stalker or Tomb Blades or maybe Wraiths. Any of which would need some points debugging and I like the few extra ap3 shots. They're not gonna take out units by themselves, but adding their fire in support can be nasty.

Ok not messing around with the Cryptek Council or the Stormlord. Im not twisting my list complete 180 just to play exactly what everyone else is playing.

chipstar1
03-07-2012, 07:14 AM
I think the list is...reasonable. I think you are still counting on some trickery with the traveler, though.

Stormlord is only viable in very specific lists, but I think 2 solar pulses is a must bring. I'd drop the destroyers and a few points somewhere else and pick up another overlord with a pulsetek.

Sonikgav
03-07-2012, 07:28 AM
Anrakyr is gonna be a Barge Overlord unless the opportunity is right for him to jump out and mindcontrol something. He's still got the Tachyon Arrow etc.

Ill give the Destroyers a run out but if they don't work I'll take a spare Overlord, move the Crypteks to different courts and maybe take a second pulse but not sure I need it when I wanna be shooting back myself.

karandras
03-07-2012, 04:10 PM
I think the list can work. Necrons, like a lot of Xenos armies are all poo-poo'd on the internet as being shoe-horned into certain builds, but in reality it has a lot more to do with practiced generalship and familiarity of the units synergy and coordination.

Destroyers don't particularly impress me, but I don't think they are worthless either... Meanwhile, I think that the nerfed Monolith is still the best vehicle and mobility mechanic in the codex.

Kaika87
03-08-2012, 12:36 AM
My list has already changed actually I just didn't update this. The Monolith is staying as its a deepstriking bomb and if it survives its the other way of getting my immortals moved up or Brought in if the Scythes get blown up.

The Scythes are staying. A 36" flat out move, especially if used in a Dawn of War deployment rush up the board. After they've dropped off they're just more mobile Tesla Destructors. They're aso the reason there's just one Solar Pulse. A turn of cover before they boost up the board.

The Spyders are gone, replaced by Annihilation Barges and now only using 1 unit of 7 Scarabs and Anrakyr has a Barge of his own. The Destroyers I could part with but the only thing that tempts me is a Stalker or Tomb Blades or maybe Wraiths. Any of which would need some points debugging and I like the few extra ap3 shots. They're not gonna take out units by themselves, but adding their fire in support can be nasty.

Ok not messing around with the Cryptek Council or the Stormlord. Im not twisting my list complete 180 just to play exactly what everyone else is playing.

Ultimately I was just rattling off a bunch of my own thoughts about the Necrons from my own experience. I'm not at all trying to make you change your list to conform to everyone else, just pointing out different ideas. Especially the Seismic Crucible-Cryptek. I dunno why more people don't include him rather than what I consider to be the rather asinine 5 Destruction Crypteks in a Ghost Ark.

The only real changes I actually wanted to suggest were dropping the Monolith and Destroyers, but ultimately if they work for you, and you have fun with them, go nuts. I do think you should give Wraiths or Tomb Stalkers a try though. The Necron codex is a true current dex in that it provides you with a lot of options, viable options at that, and my Dark Angels are pretty jealous.

victoryd5
03-08-2012, 07:29 AM
Great list. I love the use of the monolith however depending on the deepstike is up to luck.
Just a thought.

karandras
03-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Agreed on that point! With such a large footprint, it is a shame that they didn't give the Monolith some similar sort ofdeep strike protection as they do puny Drop Pods.