PDA

View Full Version : Quick chat with Dan Abnett.

StraightSilver
02-20-2012, 05:33 AM
Hi guys,

I was lucky enough to have a quick chat with Dan Abnett this Saturday at the "Know No Fear" signing at GW Oxford Street.

I asked him how it felt to write about Ultramarines, and he said that he actually really enjoyed it.

He had apparently been obliged to write the Ultramarines Movie script, but had otherwise avoided writing about Ultras as he felt they were really Graham McNeil's territory.

He also feels the same about Word Bearers, in this case being Aaron's.

However he said it wasn't often that there were such iconic "good guys" to write about and it felt like a nice change to write about those archetypal Space Marines, but wanted to remain faithful to Graham's work (which if you have been lucky enough to read the new novel I think you will agree he has done).

But he also didn't want to change the Word Bearers too much either, and I think he has pulled off both spectacularly, in particular Lorgar ("I am an orphan" - classic!), especially the change in Lorgar, I don't want to spoil too much but he isn't the snot nosed whiner he was at Istvaan!!

However Dan went on to say that there will be 3 more novels in the series that will follow on from "Know No Fear", one by Aaron Demski Bowden, one by Graham McNeil and one by James Swallow that will allow these authors to run with the events Dan has created, but more importantly give the reins back to them regarding Ultramarines, Word Bearers etc.

So I would assume an Ultramarines HH novel by Graham McNeil, a Word Bearers HH Novel by Aaron, not sure about James, guess we will have to wait and see, that all follow on from the events at Calth.

I would also like to point out that "Know No Fear" is a cracking read, I couldn't put it down and finished it in a couple of days. I may be biassed as I am a bit obsessed with all things Ultramar, but there are some iconic moments in it, a Capital Class warship falling slowly out of the sky being one of them, but I don't want to give too much away, but i do recommend it.

I also asked him a bit more about the Becquin Trilogy.

"Pariah" is finished, but you all probably knew that. However some info about it.

It is written in First Person again, and the books will be more like traditional detective stories, or "who dunnits". You won't need to have read the original Ravenor series to appreciate them, although if you have apparently it will tie up or link in with a few things in them.

There will be a lot of "who's that, why's he doing that?" moments apparently, and it sounds like they will be a very enjoyable series. I much prefer novels set in the 40K setting that don't necessarily involve 8ft superhumans or epic battles so I am looking forward to these.

And lastly for anybody waiting for "Interceptor City" it has been unavoidably delayed.

My mate lijah_Cuu was also there and had a chat with Dan too, so he might have some extra bits to share

Bigred
02-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Agreed on Know No Fear, a fantastic read, one of the strongest novels in the series.

Its "unique" formatting makes it an addictive page turner, almost impossible to put down.

StraightSilver
02-21-2012, 04:59 AM
Yep, me too. The countdown had me hooked, I knew there was a big event coming so kept on reading.

I also love the way the Ultramarines were portrayed, and also the glimpses into the creation of the Codex Astartes.

If only that one line hadn't been cut out, the Ultras (and all other Codex Marines) would be very different today. :)

And also the re-introduction of some Rogue Trader fluff too, but I can't say too much for those who haven't read it.

wittdooley
02-21-2012, 09:11 AM
Glad everyone is on point with where I was regarding the format of the book. Like I said in my review, I was nervous as hell about the formatting (I don't know why I was...It's Abnett furchrissakes), but the pacing of it was so well done that it was impossible to put down.

I like the Ultras so much more after Know No Fear it isn't funny.

But then, I'm sure Abnett could write about poop and he'd be able to make it interesting.

Nosmo75
02-21-2012, 09:26 AM
However Dan went on to say that there will be 3 more novels in the series that will follow on from "Know No Fear", one by Aaron Demski Bowden, one by Graham McNeil and one by James Swallow that will allow these authors to run with the events Dan has created, but more importantly give the reins back to them regarding Ultramarines, Word Bearers etc.

So I would assume an Ultramarines HH novel by Graham McNeil, a Word Bearers HH Novel by Aaron, not sure about James, guess we will have to wait and see, that all follow on from the events at Calth.

Well, James Swallows wrote the audio book 'Heart of Rage', which featured the Blood Angels, and he writes the books in the Blood Angels series, so my guess is he'll write a Horus Heresy book featuring them. =)

wittdooley
02-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Well, James Swallows wrote the audio book 'Heart of Rage', which featured the Blood Angels, and he writes the books in the Blood Angels series, so my guess is he'll write a Horus Heresy book featuring them. =)

We already know he's writing Fear to Tread, the Blood Angel's HH debut. This alludes to him writing a story stemming from Calth. My guess would be something in regards to the stuff he's written about the budding Grey Knights. Tylos Rubio is referenced VERY briefly in Know No Fear, and he's the Ultramarine in the Garro Audiobooks.

So that's my guess.

Baron Spikey
02-21-2012, 11:06 AM
ADB said the book that he's writing that ties in some way to Know No Fear is about the World Eaters & Word Bearers (what those Legions were doing whilst half the WB were assaulting Calth).

Grailkeeper
02-21-2012, 02:46 PM
When is this book out? I Haven't seen it for sale yet.

Not to complain about more work from these great writers, but the horus heresy is almost glacial in its progression.

StraightSilver
02-21-2012, 05:59 PM
"Know No Fear" by Dan Abnett is out on general release next week, I was just lucky enough to get mine a week early because I went to a signing.

However I believe you can get the e-book already as they go on sale about 8 days early.

The James Swallow book is "Fear to Tread", which is indeed Blood Angels and focusses on Signus Prime.

Aaron's next book is "Butcher's Nails" which is about World Eaters, so the Word Bearer's one will be after that but it isn't showing up on the schedule yet AFAIK.

I know what you mean about the HH series though, they are dragging their heels a bit. I was quite disappointed with the last two, especially as they went back to Istvaan.

Although Know No Fear doesn't advance the timeline a great deal though it is by far my favourite in the series, and has definitely restored my faith in the series.

wittdooley
02-21-2012, 07:48 PM
Know No Fear has been available in ebook for about 2 weeks.

Butchers Nails is an audiobook.

It takes some time to write a 500 page book. Theyre churning out 3-4 books in the series per year. Plus audiobooks. Plus novellas. All while the main writers are writin other books. Im as impatient when it comes to getting my HH fix as the next guy, but I think they're doing okay.

@Straight- renewed your faith in the series? What made you lose it? Deliverance Lost? Because it couldn't have been the 3 books prior to that.

StraightSilver
02-22-2012, 04:07 AM
I didn't realise Butcher's Nails was an audio book, which means Aaron's next book should be finished as he was, I believe, hurriedly finishing it off at the SFX weekender. :)

I have to admit that I was a little bit disappointed with Outcast Dead and Deliverance Lost, I just found that they didn't do a huge amount to advance the story.

They weren't bad books, not by any means, I just found it frustrating that they were both effectively out of sequence as they were set right after Istvaan, which to me was a bit of a step back.

Prospero Burns was obviously very good, but I actually wanted it to be something else if that makes sense?

When Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns were being talked about it was suggested they would be the same events told from two different perspectives over two books.

However I understand why it wasn't like that, Dan had lots of new ideas once Graham's was finished, and due to Dan's health they weren't written simultaneously. I just wonder what might have been?

Don't get me wrong though, I still thought it was a very good book, especially the end "He never could get my name right". :)

Maybe if Outcast Dead and Deliverance Lost had been written earlier, but I guess there are insights in them that are post the previous novels.

But I do agree, they are certainly getting them written in very good time, if anybody has had to wait between George R R Martin books they will understand that we are positively spoilt!

And I feel the series as a whole is very good, it's just that there are so many truly stand out books in the series (for me Fulgrim and Know No Fear) that maybe I am expecting them all to be like that.

But Know No Fear is really good, so I would recommend reading it, even if you haven't read the rest of the series, as this one should work just as well as a stand alone I think.

wittdooley
02-22-2012, 10:08 AM
So glad to see someone else thinks Fulgrim is as good as I do. It's not my favorite, but I'll be damned if it isn't high on the list.

I too thought Deliverance Lost was, at best, mediocre. My review of it is somewhere on the site in the Fluff section. There are people that seem to be very adamant about liking it though which, I quite frankly don't get.

Outcast Dead, I think, is an interesting book to judge (as are, IMO, any of the non-Astartes centric books in the series). Lots of people find them underwhelming. I happened to like it very much, but to be fair I don't get too caught up in the timeline issues the book certainly has.

And I LOOOOOOOVED Know No Fear. It's probably my 2nd favorite HH book behind Prospero Burns, but is probably the one I'll be most likely to re-read multiple times because of the pace at which it moves.

You know what. Sounds like an impromptu ranking time for me (with a tiny justification for each):

1. Prospero Burns - Abnett
IMO, the richest, fullest book in the HH series. Impeccible research combined with a moving narrative. Loved it

2. Know No Fear - Abnett
The fastest moving book in the HH series; the pacing and storytelling of this book is wonderful. The HH book I'm most likely to go back to, again and again.

3. Nemesis - James Swallow
I loved this book. Assassin Clades. Great character interaction. A fuggin Eversor psychopath. I really enjoyed this book.

4. Legion - Abnett
Great, great tale of espionage and deceit. Becomes even better when you compare it to Deliverance Lost's fumbling of the Alpha Legion

5. Fulgrim - McNeill
What wonderful interactions between Manus and Fulgrim. Plus, the slow decent of Fulgrim and his ship into madness is wonderfully depicted.

That's probably my top-5. Rounding out the top 10 in no particular order would be: Horus Rising, Flight of the Eisenstein, Galaxy in Flames, First Heretic and A Thousand Sons, all of which could easily find their way into the top 5 on a different day.

Deadlift
02-22-2012, 11:51 AM
What no "Flight of the Eisenstein" in the top 5 Witt :( Shame on you lol

That book is my absolute favourite in the series.

wittdooley
02-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Now Now..it's part of the top 10 short list.

And, to be honest, after the first two the list is pretty fluid. I'm leaning towards the more recent books because, for some of the older ones (like Eisenstein) it's been so long since I've read them.

Maybe I should reread the first 6 or 7 books and do some retro reviews.

TheWildRider
03-06-2012, 01:57 AM
Never been a fan of the HH, but I'll probably read them at some point.

What really made me squeeee was Pariah. Can't ****in' wait till I've read those. Watching Eisenhorn and Ravenor duke it out will be so unbelievably awesome. Also, y u no ask about Gaunt's Ghosts? D: