PDA

View Full Version : Attritional warfare campaign idea

plawolf
02-17-2012, 03:01 PM
I have recently come up with a set of house rules to allow 5 players to play a protracted campaign that involves attrition, as I feel that adding this element would allow for a much more strategic approach to playing, and would appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

This is going to be a bit of a long one, so please bare with me.

Resource pool

The biggest difference is that instead of coming up a 1.5k/2k/2.5k army list, you are required first to select a 6k resource pool, including any and all units, vehicles, weapons and upgrades you may want or need.

You do not need to have 6k worth of models, and you won't need all of them even if you had them all.

The idea is that you have 6000 points on which to spend on anything you want from the codex. No restrictions.

However, for the duration of the campaign, you are only allowed to build your lists from that what is remaining from that original 6k worth of assets you selected.

As you fight and suffer losses, those losses are carried over from battle to battle, and you find that you have a smaller and smaller pool of resources you can build your lists from.

Campaign

The campaign consists of 4 standard 1.5k battles, and a final free-for-all to determine the campaign winner.

Unless you managed to get tabled all four times in the battles leading up to the grand finale, you should have something left to fight with, and thus have a chance at winning the campaign (however slim that chance might be).

The four standard games will have random mission and deployment etc, basically all the standard fair from any tournament. With the caveat that should one side not be able to field a legal army because of attrition, the opposing player gets to choose mission type as a penalty.

The final game is a one objective game. The player with the biggest remaining army start off with his army deployed on the objective, which will be placed at the centre of the board. All remaining players get a corner, and whoever holds the objective at the end of that game wins the campaign. But more on that later.

4 standard games

Casualties

In the four normal games you will play, you will need to keep track of your casualties.

Any models that are instant killed, lost as a result of teleporter mishap, or 'removed from play' by any special rule or power are treated as dead. Any special weapons or wargear they had are deemed as destroyed and lost to all sides.

For the remaining casualties, you get to roll for them. For any models lost while within 12" of a friendly unit, roll a d6, and on a 4+, that model is only wounded and has been medivaced off the field of play.*

For models lost that are not within 12" of a friendly unit, the models are only medivaced on a 6+.*

Similarly, any armored vehicle destroyed or wrecked are lost to all sides. However, any immobilized vehicles are only recoverable by the winning side.

Loot

The winning side may recover all equipment (like jump packs) and weapons it's own troops lost during the battle (that has not been deemed as destroyed) as well as any of it's own vehicles not destroyed or wrecked.

If your opponent fields weapons that appear in your codex, then you may loot their dead for such weapons.

For for example, if an IG army defeated a space marine army, the IG army would be allowed to add any meltas, plasma, lascannons and such weapons to their pool. However, since there are no thunderhammers and stormshields in the IG codex, they would not be able to loot them.

These looted weapons and wargear are not free, you still need to pay for them out of your 1.5k points total if you want to field them, but they give you more things to choose from.

Requisition points

In addition to loot, winning a battle will grant you more requisition points. You get 0 for a Massacred result, and then 25 req points per level up to the result you logged. So Slaughtered will get you 25 req points, Major Defeat 50 and so on.

Requisition points cannot buy you new units for your resource pool, but it does allow you to upgrade the units you do have left into something better, provided you bought at least 1 unit of what you want to upgrade to to start with.

So, for example, if you bought a unit of sternguard in your original resource pool, you will be able to upgrade tactical marines to sternguard by using your requisition points to pay for the difference between your tactical marines and sternguard vets based on your codex prices.

So, using BA as an example, for BA, tacticals cost 16pts each, whereas a sternguard vet is 25pts each. That means for each tactical marine you wish to upgrade to sternguard, you need to pay 9 req points per model.

I do not want to write a detailed list of what is and isn't allowed, as you will get bored and so will I. The point is to be reasonable, so (sticking with the BA for now) upgrading an ordinary dread to Death Company or Furioso is fine, but making one into a Librarian dread is not.

Recovery

After each battle and before the next, all players are given a chance to recover some of their casualties, provided they haven't been tabled. And you do with by rolling a d6.

To make it simple and realistic, all special weapons and wargear are treated as having been returned to the stores and are safe. All you are rolling for are the models, so you can group all models with the same characteristic together and roll them in one. So just roll once for all normal marines, and once for all veterans etc.

Immediately after a battle, models are returned to the resource pool on a 6+, for each 1 rolled, a model has died during care, so remove as many models from the wounded pool as 1s rolled.

Keep a record of the number of casualties left after each roll, as you get to roll for them again after the next battle. To represent the passage of time, ever time you roll for a model again, the requirement is lowered by 1 to return them to the pool.

So for example, if you were rolling after the second battle for casualties from the first battle, they are returned to the pool on a 5+ now, and so on.

For vehicles, it's the same, 6+ to repair a single damaged result immediately after the battle, 5+ the next time you roll and so on. If you roll a 1, treat that as a glancing hit on the vehicle damage chart, and roll to see what happens.

But you get 1 roll per vehicle recovered, but you do not have to spend them all on the same vehicle.

So for example, you might have an immobilized rhinos and an immobilized and weapon destroyed predator. Instead of trying to repair both, you can use both your repair rolls on the predator and leave the rhino as it (but since you haven't rolled for it, the next time if you do choose to try and repair the rhino, if will still be a 6+).

In addition, for every enemy vehicle recovered that you cannot use because it is not in your codex, you can cannibalize them to improve your repair roll. Each enemy tank cannibalized improve your roll by 1. Stacking is not allowed.

So, re-using the previous example, if you also captured 2 IG tanks in that battle, you can cannibalize them, so you will only need 5+ to repair each damaged result on your predator.

Decider

After facing each of your 4 opponents in single combat, at the end of the campaign, all sides will field everything they have left in their resource pool regardless of force org chart limitations in the final free-for-all.

As mentioned earlier, it will be a single objective game, with the player holding it at the end the victor. If the game ends and the objective is contested, the game will be extended for a single extra sudden death turn, at the end of which, the player who has the most number of models on or contesting the objective wins.

At the start of the game, all players will deploy a force no larger than the total points value for the smallest army, with all remaining units held in reserve. So, for example, if the smallest of the 5 armies is 1000pts, no-one is allowed to start on the board with a force larger than 1000pts.

*Note. If a side had been tabled, all it's casualties are counted as having been killed.

-----------------------------

Well, that's it for now. What do you guys think?

Jwolf
02-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Looks like fun. There are certainly ways to min/max most armies to make them more effective in an attrition campaign, and you might want to disallow that.

Some things like summoned lesser daemons and 1-shot missiles might be problematic as well.

SotonShades
02-17-2012, 04:22 PM
I like the concept, but it is way too complicated. You will end up spending more time on paper work and rolling dice outside for your campaign turn than you will actually playing 40k. I'm in a fortunate position as I'm just starting a campaign with a similar, though more basic from of attrition.

For ours, each player must pick 4000 points, sticking to the FOC (no mean feat I assure you!)

This force is is then split up into a number of armies of between 500 and 2000 points (but can ignore the FOC all together). These armies are then placed on a map, so quite a big difference to your resource pool.

As for attrition it goes like this;

INJURIES

At the end of a battle, roll 1D6 for every model that is removed as a casualty:

For generic units consult the Injuries Table below.

D6 Roll - - Result
1 ------- Dead/Destroyed
2 - 4 --- Miss next battle
5 - 6 --- Fully recovered/repaired

Generic Unit Injury Modifiers:
+1 - for every 5 territories controlled by the player (e.g. 4 territories = +0; 10 territories = +2; 17 territories = +3)
+1 - if you control a landing pad (multiple landing pads do not stack)
- 1 - if you lost the battle
- 1 - if your army was annihilated

For named units (e.g. special characters), consult the Special Injuries Table below.

D6 Roll - - Result
1 -------- Dead.
Grieve for your Hero who died in battle and lament your loss.
Wailing and gnashing of teeth is optional.
2 -------- Near fatal injury.
All characteristics are reduced by 1 for the rest of the campaign.
Miss next 3 battles.
3 -------- Serious injury.
Strength, toughness and wounds reduced by 1 for the rest of the campaign.
Miss next 2 battles.
4 -------- Moderate injury.
Reduce one of either BS, WS, A or I by 1 for the rest of the campaign.
Miss next battle.
5 -------- Minor injury.
Just a flesh wound this time but further rolls on this table are subject to a cumulative -1 modifier.
Miss next battle.
6 -------- Fully recovered.

This may result in players fielding units that are under minimum strength. In this case, treat the unit’s leadership as 10. The unit also gains the ‘Hatred’ and ‘Furious Charge’ special rules when fighting against the player that caused them to go under minimum strength. These rules apply for as long as the unit remains under minimum strength.

If a unit relies on a single model to function and that model is not able to fight (dead, wounded etc.), the unit is considered out of action until the missing model is recovered/reinforced (e.g. Dark Eldar Beastmaster).
This is to represent the fact that if you wipe out most of a warrior’s friends, he isn’t likely to be happy about it.

Now, obviously there are a few bits that are based on the map; terratories, landing pads, reinforcements. You could quite happilly ignore these. However the main point is that each model that dies is only rolled for once, rather than having to keep paper work from one battle to the next, and possibly until the end of the campaign. You also have the same chart for vehicles/non-vehicle models, rather than having to look up different rolls for different types of units, as well as individual vehicles.

Speaking from my experience playing Necromunda, rolling dice several times for individual models can be complicated and tedious. Difference is that in necromunda you only have 10, maybe 15 models. In 40 k you are likely to have upwards of 50 in 1.5k, not tomention the rest of the units from your 6k that have been wounded/damaged in previous battles.

Of course, if your group are used to playing complex campaigns (more like D&D style stuff), ignore everything I've said. However, if not, and especially if you aren't overly used to running campaigns I would strongly advise following the Engineer's Golden Rule:

Simplify, and add lightness.

Slug
02-17-2012, 06:12 PM
I've thought about this sort of thing before, what I would do is play on a large campaign map and give each player a certain amount of points at the start, they write up one big list which they can then split up in any way they wish. So, if you had 6000 points you could have 1 6000 point army or 12 500 point armies. however I would ignore the whole ability for wounded models to return as a) it is complicated to keep track of and uses up allot of time, and b) in reality if you get shoot you would be very lucky to be getting back up in even a few weeks time, but that's just preference.

I would also add a different sort of requestion system, where in each territory you capture produces a certain amount of points a campaign turn which can be used to buy units, though I would restrict it to only units which were in the original list, or add a significant cost to getting units that did not exist in the original list. So if you had SM and your list had one captain and only tac marines then you could only buy more tac marines, though you could buy an infinite amount so long as you have the points to do so, such that you can exceed the original points limit if you suffered few casualties.

plawolf
02-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, all very interesting and thought provoking.

Good spot on min/maxing Jwolf.

I will add that any named characters, or models marked as unique in their codex can only be taken once. So no cloning Mephiston or having 20 vindicare assassins so you deploy them all in the last free-for-all.

In addition, I will require that you select at least 6 troops choices and 1 HQ before you are allowed to add anything else for your resource pool.

I will also add that you can only buy full squads, and that you cannot purchase more wargear than allowed to be carried in your units. So no buying 20 melta guns on their own to be dished out later, and that will make it matter a lot more if you loose that PF or melta guy.

Maybe I will soften that limitation a little by saying that any free special and heavy weapons you get with a squad are not lost if you upgrade with something better.

So if you bought a tac squad, you get a flamer and heavy bolter added to your resource pool even if you upgraded them to carry a plasmagun and lascannon. This will mean that you still have a good reason to take a tac squad even if you lost your plasmagun and lascannon in the last fight.

Any other suggestions you might have to further reduce the chances of min/maxing and other ways of abusing the resource pool system?

--------------------

SotonShades

Excellent point about paperwork. I was worried about how well such a complicated system of keeping track of casualties will work in real life.

I may shamelessly copy your idea and just have everyone roll once for their wounded guys (I think I will keep the bit about instant death, as that adds an extra element of tactical choice in combat, and should be fairly easy to keep track off, and also, that means fewer dice to roll at the end).

So 1-4 = dead or out of action for the duration of the campaign.

6 = returned to duty and ready for selection in the next battle.

5 = misses next game, but ready for selection after that.

Again, all wargear and weapons are considered safe and returned to the pool, so no need to roll different coloured dice for special weapons guys. Just roll a dice for each guy of the same stats, and keep track of how many tactical/assault/vets you can add back to the pool when.

I also like your special list for named characters. But, I am going to be cheeky and suggest your system is a little on the complicated side. :p No criticism, just saying I find it hard to keep track of it all, and having to remember changed characteristics all champaign is going to be tricky. I can just picture myself forgetting and accidently cheating by using the original characteristics half way through a game.

Also, what happens if the same character is unfortunate enough to be a casualty multiple times, but lucky enough to not die and return to the fight? So you stack the nerfs?

Seems like a lot of keep track off, even for just a few guys.

Maybe I will again shamelessly nick the idea, but use my original system. So you roll for your characters after each battle. The die on 1, recover on 6 after the first game, 5+ after the second game, and so on.

I also like the idea about squads being taken out of action if a critical member was killed. So you will have to decide whether to spend your req points making that squad available for selection, or if you just want to have more veterans.

-------------------

Slug

The holding territory and having different territory having different strategic benefits is something I have thought of, and will probably be something I will look into for a later campaign, but at present, I just want to test out how well introducing casualties into the mix will work and change the way people play individual battles.

Gotto learn to walk before I try and run. ;) But a good suggestion still, and I will definitely be shamelessly ripping off some of your suggestions if/when I do expand this to a larger campaign.

SotonShades
02-18-2012, 04:38 AM
By all means be cheeky... I didn't write it.

To be honest, I don't use special characters in my lists that often, so I won't be worrying about stats changing too much lol

hisdudeness
02-19-2012, 01:31 PM
To keep everything simple I would just use a modified version of the Necromunda rules for the after battle actions.

Make model death a little easier to happen, say 4+ or 5+. Record keeping would be a pain for a large force...tracking part squads could be tricky. But it could make for a pretty interesting force and story.