PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Forge Newsletter #23 - Basilisk

eldargal
02-17-2012, 06:06 AM
Hi there,
It’s another monstrous newsletter for you this week, with Edgar Skomorowski’s incredible Basilisk being released for pre-order – you may recall a sneak peek of this back at the start of January. We’ve also got a reminder about AdeptiCon reservation orders, which are now being taken by our Customer Service team.

Basilisk

BasiliskFound in the most treacherous regions of the Warhammer world, from the Bloodspine Mountains of the unknown Southlands to the Grey Peaks that shoulder the Empire, Basilisks are a reclusive menace. They are a living blight so inimical to life that they poison the very ground they walk upon, the venom that suffuses their body and spirit capable of swiftly reducing verdant land to ruined waste.

Their huge bodies are covered with brightly coloured scales from the membranous fins upon their head to the tip of their muscled tail; a warning of their noxious nature. They prowl stealthily on eight legs, and are capable of moving swiftly enough to run down even the quickest prey. The most potent weapon in the Basilisk’s arsenal, however, is its gaze. Renowned in folklore across the Old World for its lethal potency, the sickly pale eyes of the Basilisk can focus the essence of their poisonous soul, withering their prey until its skin and flesh slough away.

The Basilisk, designed by Edgar Skomorowski, is a highly detailed multi-part resin model. This model is available to pre-order now for despatch from February 24th, and experimental rules for the Basilisk can be downloaded now to allow any Warhammer army to field this noxious creature in games of Storm of Magic.

Warhammer Forge Events News:
AdeptiCon 2012, 19th to 22nd April, Westin Lombard Yorktown Center, Chicago
Forge World will again be attending AdeptiCon this year, and we are now accepting reservation orders for this popular event. While we will be bringing a huge selection of our range of books, resin kits and modelling products, placing a reservation order is the best way to ensure that we have exactly what you want packed up and waiting for you at the show.

You can either telephone us on 011 44 115 900 4995, or send an e-mail entitled ‘AdeptiCon 2012 Reservation’ to [email protected]. We will need your name, a list of the items that you wish to order, and a contact e-mail address for yourself. In the week prior to the event, we will send you a confirmation e-mail containing your order number, details of any items that are unavailable, and a total cost in US$ (less local sales tax) that will be payable at the event.

Thanks,
Ead Brown
Customer Service Manager
Forge World
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/DefaultFW/xlarge/basilisk9.jpg
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/AlternativeFW/xlarge/basilisk5.jpg
£60.00. Experimental rules. (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/b/Basilisk.pdf)

I like it.

Brakkart
02-17-2012, 06:16 AM
Speaking as a long time fan of D&D, I'm absolutely loving this figure. Liking how they've gone the super-venomous route with regard to its powers too, as the D&D way of their gaze turning flesh to stone wouldn't really fit all that well with Warhammer.

That said I'm surprised to see this from Forge World, a Basilisk would have been high on my list of suggested additional monsters to add into a Dark Elf army as it would keep with the reptilian beast theme and thus go well with the Hydra.

The pdf of the rules could use a good proofreading mind, a load of the words are missing 2 letters from them!

Deadlift
02-17-2012, 06:46 AM
Its head reminds me of the villains from The Dark Crystal.

Brakkart
02-17-2012, 06:50 AM
Its head reminds me of the villains from The Dark Crystal.

Heh yeah now that you mention it, it is kinda vulture-ish like the Skeksis, especially in that second picture.

Wildeybeast
02-17-2012, 08:39 AM
The pdf of the rules could use a good proofreading mind, a load of the words are missing 2 letters from them!

They could also use some clarification as well.

Aura of Vitriol: The Basilisk’s aura taints anything that draws near, destroying weapons and killing men, its deadly power increasing with exposure. Roll a D6 at the beginning of each round of combat for every model participating in a combat in which the Basilisk is involved (including friendly models).
On the first turn of combat with the Basilisk a wound is inflicted on a result of a 6, on the second turn a wound is inflicted on a 5+, and so on to a maximum of 2+. Armour saves and regeneration may not be taken against the Basilisk’s vitriol, although other Ward saves and Magic Resistance may be used.

So, if you can use MR saves, is this a magic attack then? I assume it must be or else why mention MR? But then why not say it is a magic attack? :confused:

eldargal
02-17-2012, 08:48 AM
Thankfully we can just mail in the issues (and typos) and they should fix them, yay experimental rules. Of course sometimes they are fixed in a bad way, like Shadow Spectres but that is another issue...

Wildeybeast
02-17-2012, 09:11 AM
I was wondering about that. Do you know who we contact?

eldargal
02-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Just the usual contact email I think, or you can post it on their Facebook page.

Wildeybeast
02-17-2012, 09:22 AM
Right, thanks, I'll see what they say.

Grovel
03-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Swing and a miss I think - The head looks more like a parrot and the legs look like duplicates of one another rather than being actually functional legs.