PDA

View Full Version : Rune of Might Vs nightshoud

darthken
02-13-2012, 03:30 AM
i recently had a game Vs a friend of mine with dwarfs. and my vamp lord was up against his dwarf lord

now nightshroud negates all strenght bonus's from normal or magic weapons

rune of might increases his strength if the target is T5 or higer

his argument ; is the rune gives a strength increase not a "BONUS" so my nightshroud didn't work

my argument; putting that rune on a weapon makes it magical, gives him an increase to strength so my armour does work

personally i think he's nitpicking over the words INCREASE and BONUS

so what does every one else think

looking for unbiased thoughts please

Wildeybeast
02-13-2012, 04:31 AM
Well, I would have thought runes turn things into magic weapons, armour, etc. but it depends what the rules actually say. There is nothing about it in the FAQ, so I would assume that is covered in the army book. I dont have one so I'd suggest having a look in his book, or asking one of the guys in your local store. It must be a fairly easy one to answer as it will obviously affect whether he can hurt ethereal units, negate forest spirit saves etc.

Chronowraith
02-13-2012, 07:05 AM
As Wildey pointed out, I seem to recall specific wording int he Dwarf book that states that runes turn mundane items into magical items. Thus the Nightshroud would work just fine. I don't have my Dwarf Army Book in front of me to confirm that though.

Also, if he's being nitpicky about BONUS and INCREASE... they mean the same thing in this context. Anything that raises a stat above the baseline is an INCREASE and thus a BONUS. Anything that lowers a stat below the baseline is a DECREASE and thus a PENALTY. Have him look up bonus in a thesaurus if he's getting that nitpicky and he'll come up with words like extra, additional, in addition, etc.

darthken
02-13-2012, 07:33 PM
from my understanding the rune of might doubles the user's strength if the targets toughness is 5 or higher

Lord Azaghul
02-20-2012, 10:52 AM
i recently had a game Vs a friend of mine with dwarfs. and my vamp lord was up against his dwarf lord

now nightshroud negates all strenght bonus's from normal or magic weapons

rune of might increases his strength if the target is T5 or higer

his argument ; is the rune gives a strength increase not a "BONUS" so my nightshroud didn't work

my argument; putting that rune on a weapon makes it magical, gives him an increase to strength so my armour does work

personally i think he's nitpicking over the words INCREASE and BONUS

so what does every one else think

looking for unbiased thoughts please

Need to see the exact wording of Nightshroud, first. On the surface I'd say it works - and given GW love of VC BS (and that's not ballistic skill)

And if he's being nit-picky don't be to hard on him - GW hates dwarves and doesn't want them to win - ever ;)

Not too mention 'nit-picky' is now most of the Faq's end up being created!

FYI - nightshroud better be damned expensive - or I understand why it pisses of your friend! :D

Taipan
03-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Yeah Nightshroud affects all Strength boosts, tell him to read the rules and stop complaining. Vamp Lords are going to wreck your face regardless, they have better statlines, rules and gear than your combat heroes. Nightshroud is the least of your problems TBH.

@ Lord Azaghul: Why should it be highly expensive? (it's mid-range price FYI) It doesn't provide a ward save, and enemies with naturally high Strength will still hurt you. The more important nerf it provides is reducing Initiative (which makes the +2WS perk meaningless). It also has zero effect outside of combat, meaning sniper spells, cannons etc will still blow you up.