PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Destroyer - All-Plastic Conversion

Kawauso
02-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Hey Necron players (and others).
I made a post in my Necron army thread showing off one of these models, but I figured it might be worthwhile for some people out there if I put up a step-by-step guide for this conversion, in case anyone is interested.

If you, like me, hate metal and/or hybrid model kits, you were probably disappointed by the lack of update that the Heavy Destroyer received with the new Necron codex.

It's unfortunate, because Heavy Destroyers are pretty nifty - T5 jump infantry with an assault lascannon and what amounts to an 'invulnerable save' is pretty cool and unique.

Fear not! I've been playing around with the bits leftover by some of the new Necron kits, and I've come up with a simple conversion for an all-plastic Heavy Destroyer.

STEP 1: Gather your materials.
You'll need: A - an assembled Destroyer, and the Gauss Cannon arm set aside unassembled
B - 2 Gauss Blasters from the new Immortal/Deathmark kit (just the main gun bit itself) and one barrel tip for one of these blasters
C - a Triarch Praetorian spine (just the centre bit) from the Praetorian/Lychguard kit

STEP 2: Cut the 'barrel' attachment off of the Gauss Cannon halves. Assemble the body of the cannon, and fill in the hole where the 'barrel's used to be with green stuff. Glue the Gauss Cannon tip on the rear end of the cannon (this is just to add some length and bulk to the weapon).

STEP 3: Separate the Gauss Blaster barrels from the weapon bodies, keeping as much of the barrels intact, as shown.

STEP 4: Shave all of the extraneous detail such as the iron sight and bayonet from one of the blaster barrels. Glue the barrels together end-on-end as shown, to create a double-length double-barrel. Attach the tip of the barrel to the business end of the weapon either now or in the next step.

STEP 5: Glue the new double-length barrel to the end of the old Gauss Cannon housing. There should be just enough room for the barrel to line up with the weapon housing vertically, and the green stuff filling in the hole on the old weapon should be flat to provide a good surface for the new barrel to bond to.

Kawauso
02-11-2012, 07:38 PM
STEP 6: Cut the cable from the Destroyer arm bit and shave down the arm so that it it smooth. Cut the bottom-most segment from the Praetorian spine, and shave down any excess material on either end.

STEP 7: Take the lone segment from the Praetorian spine and glue this to the bottom two segments of the Destroyer's spine on the left side. This is optional, really, but I came up with this so as to hide the scars left from removing the metal bit that attached here on the official Heavy Destroyer model - I converted my old ones to all-plastic!

STEP 8: Glue the Praetorian spine to the Destroyer's left shoulder pad, so as to make it look like the targeter on the official model.

STEP 9: Attach the Destroyer arm to the body of the model backwards, so that the large ball joint is in the model's shoulder socket. Make sure to angle the smaller ball joint down, as this will look more natural for the weapon mount. When the arm is dry, feel free to attach the cannon.

STEP 10: Profit!?