PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Lord Build

spydertau
02-07-2012, 12:10 PM
I don't want to viloate any rules, so I'm not going to post magic items and such.

Powers:

+2 WS
Extra attack(s) power

Items:

+1 Armor, anyone in base loses STR bonuses from weapons and gains Strike Last
+3 Attack Sword (I don't have my book in front of me, if too many points then the +2 Weapon)
Shield
Mounted (Flying Mount)

Attach to a unit of Vargeists...Vampire has a potential of 14 or 16 attacks , most units will need 5's to hit even if they make their fear test (unless WS5 or higher).

Alternativly, you could make this a Strigoui Ghoul King, with everything above except the armour and Shield. Exchanging for a 2+ ward save from flaming. Either Mounted on a Terrorgeist or with the flying power.

Thoughts?

BaileyBankai
03-05-2012, 04:04 PM
id much rather use quickblood over +2ws because that means you always have to issue challenges, and you already hitting most rank and file on 3+ this way you can hit high elves first and get re-rolls to hit

Taipan
03-05-2012, 05:49 PM
+2 WS
Extra attack(s) power

Don't need higher WS, you already hit 90% of things on a 3+ anyway. The things that can match your Weapon Skill without specific magic items or spells is largely just other Lords, who can be magic sniped anyway (fair fights are for mortals).
Red Fury is fun, I like Fear Incarnate more as it helps to break big horde units (which you undoubtedly be fighting).

+1 Armor, anyone in base loses STR bonuses from weapons and gains Strike Last
+3 Attack Sword (I don't have my book in front of me, if too many points then the +2 Weapon)
Shield
Mounted (Flying Mount

I prefer a hard ward save over Shroud, but your opponents don't take sniper spells or make regular use of the Shard, it's a good choice. I would opt to take Shroud in a mage Lord, a combat Lord needs the extra durability that Armour of Destiny/Talisman of Preservation offers.

Alternativly, you could make this a Strigoui Ghoul King, with everything above except the armour and Shield. Exchanging for a 2+ ward save from flaming. Either Mounted on a Terrorgeist or with the flying power.

Ghoul Kings are not worth their points. Their main gimmick is their Terrogheist mount, which is pointless as you can field it in Rare without eating Lord allowance (ie all of it). A normal Vamp Lord has better options and rules.

waaght
03-07-2012, 07:56 AM
Attach to a unit of Vargeists...Vampire has a potential of 14 or 16 attacks , most units will need 5's to hit even if they make their fear test (unless WS5 or higher).

I don't think you can attach a character to a unit of Vargeists because on page 97 of the little red book it says a "character cannot join a unit of [...] flyers [...] unless otherwise stated" (Warhammer Rulebook 97).

Vipoid
05-16-2012, 01:39 PM
id much rather use quickblood over +2ws because that means you always have to issue challenges, and you already hitting most rank and file on 3+ this way you can hit high elves first and get re-rolls to hit

Could you please explain to me how that would work? :confused:

My impression was that, since both Vamp and High Elves have ASF, they would attack simultaneously, and neither would get rerolls.

(Although, either way, I agree that Quickblood is a better choice, and definatly one of the best Vampire Powers).

Ghoul Kings are not worth their points. Their main gimmick is their Terrogheist mount, which is pointless as you can field it in Rare without eating Lord allowance (ie all of it). A normal Vamp Lord has better options and rules.

Sad, but true. I've tried one using a variety of builds, but he just ended up earning the title 'General Fail', because he died in the first round of every combat he was involved in. For a CC character who can end up at 450pts, he just dies far too easily. In my experience at least, a 5+ regenerate save is just too easy to fail.

The only time I can maybe see him being useful is in a 'regeneration' theme army (with Mortis Engines, Terrorghiests, Crypt Horrors etc.). But, even then, you're still probably better off with a vampire lord, since he also has access to magic that's actually worth a damn.

Lind99009
05-31-2012, 09:13 PM
Vipiod, you are correct, if to models have ASF, they hit eachother at the same time, with no rerolls duemto ASF (you will still get them from Dance ir Hatred, for example). It is something I know well, being a High Elf player.