PDA

View Full Version : 1,500 points, Imperial Guard

theresponsibleone
02-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Having just had my first tournament, I found the list I had lacked the ability to project firepower across the board. I don't want to do fully mechanised, so here's an experiment in putting out a bit more damage.

Techpriest w/ Melta Bombs & Servitors: 125

PCS: 50
4 x Flamers
Chimera: 55

Squad w/Lascannon: 70
Squad w/Lascannon: 70

PCS: 70
4 x Melta
Chimera: 55

Squad w/Melta: 60

Valkyrie w MRP: 130
Vendetta: 130

Colossus: 140
2 x Medusa, 1 with Bastion Breachers: 275
2 x Hydra: 150

Total: 1500

robrodgers46
02-07-2012, 05:14 PM
I can't imagine too many armies that list would perform well against, unfortunately.

Without a CCS, you don't have the ability to use the best orders for your lascannons, which means they will only hit 50% of the time. Also, since it has heavy weapons I would assume that squad will be static, perhaps in cover sitting on an objective? If so, just about any assault unit will tear it apart. You need power weapons, a commissar, and maybe melta bombs to give it a chance,but even then I find 20 not to be a big enough blob. I run 30, maybe even 40.

Are the other infantry squads in the transports? If not, they will never get in to melta range on foot. If they are, they are a bad match for the Vendetta, which you want to keep as far from the enemy as you can to maximise the number of 48" range TL shots you can get. The Valk with MRP is kinda meh, you are far better off with another Vendetta. I do put troops in my vendetta, but usually cheap squads that I will only want to bring on the table late, like SWS or penals. Also, for meltas, you want that BS4 from veterans to make those shots count.

It may be personal preference, but I don't like your heavy support choices. You don't have any AV14, and with all the artillery open-topped they will get very few shots off. The Colossus is not nearly as good as the manticore, for only 20 points less. Your squadron medusas have to fire at the same target, and are also pretty expensive. You would be better off with LRBT's. Hydras are ok, I guess, I don't like them but they are cheap.

I would replace the Techpriest with a CCS, combine your two 20 man squads in to one 30, make at least 2 vet squads with chimeras and meltas, and take a hard look at your heavy support. You would then have the ability to respond a greater variety of threats and create tougher targeting choices for your opponent.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

r