PDA

View Full Version : Colossals Announced

Bigred
02-03-2012, 01:37 PM
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2012/02/breaking-privateer-press-colossals.html

I want...

faolan
02-03-2012, 08:01 PM
This should be the official towel thread, tbh :)

energongoodie
02-04-2012, 01:14 AM
I have no warmachine stuff at all. I think this may now change. Very nice indeed.

Mr.Pickelz
02-04-2012, 01:24 AM
I can't wait to use the Khadorian one with Harkevich. broadside that turret!:D:D

Deadlift
02-04-2012, 02:24 AM
Just watched the video and wow I am impressed, unfortunately absolutely no one plays War-machine in my area and thats not about to change. I would love to build an army but not much point really. Those new big models are however great and I think GW should be looking at PP and upping their game by introducing new elements just like this. Apoc formations etc are all well and good and titans are nice and all but these models seem to be somewhere in between and price point there for more accessible (most likely). PP really seem to know what their about

energongoodie
02-04-2012, 05:46 AM
Do you think they are pretty much dreadknight size? They seem a bit bigger to me. Maybe the rumoured (I know that doesn't mean a lot) large Tau walker will be the same sort of size.

It's a shame Devon is so far away Deadlift cause I need a Warmachine buddy.

Deadlift
02-04-2012, 06:43 AM
I love the chunky brutality these big boys have, not something Dread knights convey I feel. I have a bit of a soft spot for walkers in general and I think the Orc walkers come closest to menacing as either GW or FW come. I just don't like Orks. I think my favourite in the GW/FW range is the contemptor but these colossus beat them hands down, not just in scale but (for me) the cool factor. I may just buy one for painting fun :)

Yes Devon is a bit of a stretch to London for just a game, not sure me tractor would make it lol

wittdooley
02-04-2012, 08:52 AM
The colassals will also dwarf a contempor in price. Based on the war engine pricing, we can expect these things to cost between $120-$150

eldargal
02-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Impressive sized kits, wish I cared for the aesthetic more. Also don't like the way Warmachine factions all seem to get the same things. Little worried the arms might snap off at the little piston point things too, if handled roughly. Incidentally thinking of buying that plastic Khador kit. Female Warcaster is a plus, and Khador being ruled by an empress is another plus.:rolleyes:

Chronowraith
02-04-2012, 10:56 AM
I really didn't care for War Engines and their Horde counterparts but these colossals are fantastic. The Retribution one looks really cool in the 3D model and the Cygnar one looks interesting enough that I may have to dig out my Cygnar army and start that back up.

Any speculation on the Hordes counterparts for these? Super-sized warbeasts? Dragons (I jest)?

energongoodie
02-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Any speculation on the Hordes counterparts for these? Super-sized warbeasts? Dragons (I jest)?

I was thinking the same. The potential for great models here is awesome.
Maybe The Circle guys could get a giant stone/rock gollum thing that looks like it has been fished out of the toi.....oh wait.

Deadlift, how about the combine harvester?

Gotthammer
02-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Maybe The Circle guys could get a giant stone/rock gollum thing that looks like it has been fished out of the toi.....oh wait.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kuBQePhIvSY/TyxbPAuQy9I/AAAAAAAAAIM/YJfuwNkSDCc/s1600/woldwrath.jpg

via Frozencore at Wolves for the Wolf God (http://wolvesforthewolfgod.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/something-big-is-coming.html)

There's concept art of the Trollblood beastie right at the very end of the announcement video, after the PP logo comes up.

Chronowraith
02-04-2012, 02:09 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kuBQePhIvSY/TyxbPAuQy9I/AAAAAAAAAIM/YJfuwNkSDCc/s1600/woldwrath.jpg

via Frozencore at Wolves for the Wolf God (http://wolvesforthewolfgod.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/something-big-is-coming.html)

There's concept art of the Trollblood beastie right at the very end of the announcement video, after the PP logo comes up.

Damn you! I've always considered doing a wold warden Circle army but was always able to make up an excuse. If that's the concept art for the circle godzilla-beast then I think all my delaying tactics in the world will finally be useless.

So that means I'm up to 4 Warmachine/Hordes armies if I pick up both Cygnar and Circle.

energongoodie
02-04-2012, 02:23 PM
I just wanted to take a pop at the forgeworld orc rogue idol.

Gotthammer
02-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Pop at, or pop out?

*rimshot!*

eldargal
02-05-2012, 04:31 AM
The colossals are going to be plastic, yes?

energongoodie
02-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Pop at, or pop out?

*rimshot!*

Nice.

I'm sure they'll be in Plastic. Surely too big for metal and PP are moving alot of stuff to plastic aren't they?

Deadlift
02-05-2012, 12:48 PM
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab3/joenortonjones/Warmachine-Colossals-Image-4-394x221.jpg

Looks like their plastic / resin hybrid stuff. If its the same as their other kits its quite sturdy, and heavy. Will require quite a bit of pinning or magnets I guess. Super Glue is the order of the day with this stuff.

Disclaimer :confused:

I could be completely wrong, but had a close look at an unbuilt war jack kit last summer and thats the impression I got from the material.

eldargal
02-07-2012, 02:12 AM
So long as it isn't metal I'm fine with it. Thinking of starting a Khador army based around Sorscha. Was going to go with Cryx and Deneghra but I don't like her models (I'm deneghrating them, teehee).:rolleyes: Also ushankas are sexy.

Gotthammer
02-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Ushankas rule. I own one and it is soooo warm. Bonus points as it is russian and has a hammer and sickle badge. If I ever played games with my Khador I'd certainly wear it and make endless "in Soviet Khador" jokes.

eldargal
02-07-2012, 11:49 PM
I have a pure white arctic fox ushanka, good idea about wearing it when playing with Khador.:)

wittdooley
02-08-2012, 12:16 AM
I have a spare Sorcha I shall paint up for you then mail across zee pond.

Gotthammer
02-08-2012, 12:41 AM
I have a pure white arctic fox ushanka, good idea about wearing it when playing with Khador.:)

Cosplay as Zerkova to really freak peopl out (bonus points if you do a victory dance when you win (http://youtu.be/oTo6OinfblY?t=1m6s)).

Tamwulf
02-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Some more info about the Colossals:

They are a plastic/metal hybrid kit. As in, all the really big parts are the same plastic as the current warjacks, so yes you will need superglue as it's a resin-plastic. The smaller parts are metal. For example, on the Conquest, the cannons on top, in the shoulders, the fists, and the head are all metal. This has more to do with the fact that it's just easier and cheaper for PP at this time to cast them in metal rather then resin plastic.

All the colossals have similar special rules like the Battle Engines. They also have a couple new power attacks- a thresher style attack, and a slam where the colossal doesn't have to move, and the target is slammed d6+3". Each colossal has two damage grids- a left and right side. Think of it as one giant damage grid. They did this to exceed the current maximum damage grid of 36 boxes. We're looking at a model with around 50 damage boxes now. All the systems function exactly like they do on a warjack except with an additional new system added- superstructure. These will be something along the lines of making the Colossal tougher to damage until these points are removed. Like each time the colossal takes damage, it loses only one structure point. When all the structure points are marked off, it'll take damage like a regular warjack.

Colossals will be in your Warcaster's Battlegroup and will follow most of the rules for Warjacks. They will cost in the 18-20 points range. Each faction will get one:

Khador (“Conquest”)
Cygnar (“Stormwall”)
Cryx (“Kraken” – tentacles instead of legs)
Menoth (“Judicator” – rockets and flamethrowers)
Retribution (“Hyperion”)
Merc (“Galleon” – right arm is a giant trident)

They will be available July, 2012. For those that make it to Lock and Load (http://www.pplockandload.com/) in June, they will be available in limited quantities.

Hordes will also be getting colossals. Watch the entire video past the credits at the end and you will see a preview of the Troll colossal.

mikethefish
02-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Not quite right, Tam. First off, PP doesn't use a "pastic/resin hybrid" for any of their stuff. They just use plain old plastic - it just happens to be a different brand of plastic than GW's (admittedly superior) plastic models. People have dubbed it "plastic/resin" purely because they feel and see the slight differences in physical properties and don't know any better.

Secondly, the Colossals won't be made of the same plastic they use in their plastic kits. They are made of straight resin, similar to Forgeworld or Finecast. Their battle engines are made of the same material. Like you said, there are a few pieces of metal as well.

wittdooley
02-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Secondly, the Colossals won't be made of the same plastic they use in their plastic kits. They are made of straight resin, similar to Forgeworld or Finecast. Their battle engines are made of the same material. Like you said, there are a few pieces of metal as well.

Thank you for this clarification, despite the fact that it makes me sad.

When I saw they'd be plastic, I immediately hoped the models would be mroe affordable. But if they're resin and metal, then I'm sure we can still expect the MSRP to sit somewhere around $120. Hope they release the pricing details soon so I can brace my wallet.

mikethefish
02-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Yeah I don't know Wit - we'll have to see about the price. The Battle Engines roll in at like 80 bucks right? Well the Battle Engines don't look THAT much bigger than a Battle Engine, and as such IMO it won't be that much mor expensive than the 80 buck mark that BE's sit at.

But yeah, you never know I guess.

wittdooley
02-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Troll War Wagon clocks in at $90 MSRP. You can pull for about $70 online.

As long as they can keep the PP down below $100 I think I'll get one. My problem is thinking about what I can get for $100 from Forge World.

Kovnik Obama
02-18-2012, 02:27 AM
Thinking of starting a Khador army based around Sorscha.

She is awesomeness! Her play style is incredibly fun, she has good DEF that you can commit her closer to the fight (DEF > ARM in WM/H), her feat his just under Kreoss on the 'oh no, I'm sure you've read that rule wrong, it just CAN'T do that' chart and with her movement spell (Wind rush I think) she gets a reliable escape after she attempts assassinations, or gets committed. Plus it boost her already good DEF.

And that's the nerfed version! I've played her all through MkI, to the dismay of all my opponents.

Plus that first image of Sorscha by the train was what decided me on Khador back when the game came out.

http://www.mattwilsonart.com/images/sorscha.jpg

and then there's

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2010/6/16/113704_md-Sorscha%20Artwork%20Color%20Scheme%20.JPG

But anyway, regarding Colossi, I think I remember M. Wilson saying everything was going to remain under the sacred 100$ mark in an old interview. What that can mean... Honestly, considering the bulk, and the fact that one Colossi, a caster, support and 'maybe' a unit will fit 35 points, even 120$ wouldn't bother me too much. That would be a respectable army for under 300$...

Tho I have to say, I'm all kinds of happy I decided to wait on the Battle Engine. Reznik will looove his walking cathedral of burninatin' so much more than the rollin' organ of burninatin' ^^

mikethefish
02-18-2012, 06:09 PM
My problem is thinking about what I can get for $100 from Forge World.

I guess so. I guess I don't see the appeal of 100 bucks worth of Forgeworld stuff. To me, Forgeworld is really only worth it if you get the REALLY impressive stuff (ie - the stuff that clocks in at the 2-300 buck range). Stuff that is truly impressive and a centerpiece for the army, rather than a Leman Russ variant (or whatever) that a hundred bucks will get you on Forgeworld

Personally if I had to spend that type of money, I would go the PP rout and get a sweet looking impressive model that you can use in a normal game without having to adopt special rules (structure points etc) and without having to ask your opponents' permission to use (since Forgeworld is only quasi-official - though to be fair, I hear that's changing, kinda sorta maybe)

wittdooley
02-18-2012, 07:04 PM
I guess so. I guess I don't see the appeal of 100 bucks worth of Forgeworld stuff. To me, Forgeworld is really only worth it if you get the REALLY impressive stuff (ie - the stuff that clocks in at the 2-300 buck range). Stuff that is truly impressive and a centerpiece for the army, rather than a Leman Russ variant (or whatever) that a hundred bucks will get you on Forgeworld

Personally if I had to spend that type of money, I would go the PP rout and get a sweet looking impressive model that you can use in a normal game without having to adopt special rules (structure points etc) and without having to ask your opponents' permission to use (since Forgeworld is only quasi-official - though to be fair, I hear that's changing, kinda sorta maybe)

Have you ever seen pieces like Lieopolt the Black, Theodore Bruckner, Irillyth, Sevrin Loth, etc.? Those pieces (particularly the newer, warhammer forge pieces) completely outstrip anything Privateer has to offer. Easily. And all of those pieces are less than $50 a piece.

If you want to look at some larger pieces that clock in at ~$100:

Exalted Vermin Lord
Elspeth von Draken
Basilisk
Carmine Dragon
Khorne Daemon Prince & Herald, etc...

All of which you can use in a normal game without having to adopt special rules.

Perhaps you have a precedence with PP models that I simply haven't seen, but I personally think my $$ would be better spent, aesthetically speaking, on a FW model.

Kovnik Obama
02-18-2012, 08:56 PM
Have you ever seen pieces like Lieopolt the Black, Theodore Bruckner, Irillyth, Sevrin Loth, etc.? Those pieces (particularly the newer, warhammer forge pieces) completely outstrip anything Privateer has to offer. Easily. And all of those pieces are less than $50 a piece.

So you can get 2 normal sized mini for the price of a pseudo-Titan? I don't get how this helps your argument.

If you want to look at some larger pieces that clock in at ~$100:

Exalted Vermin Lord
Elspeth von Draken
Basilisk
Carmine Dragon
Khorne Daemon Prince & Herald, etc...

All of which you can use in a normal game without having to adopt special rules.

And apart from the Dragon (IMHO), none of them would hold much up to a Colossi, as far as a center piece, at least from the little one can glance from comparing pictures on websites. Yes, the FW have more details per micro-centimeters, but that's part of what I expect will maintain the 100$ price point ; large, smooth sculpt.

eldargal
02-19-2012, 01:00 AM
Thanks for posting that Sorcsha art, though I painted mine blonde on principle.:rolleyes: Stupid brunettes with their being taken seriouslty hair colour and whatnot grumble grumble.

I'm not completely up to date with US/GBP echange rate but you can get some decent sized things from FW for 100, like a Lynx, Avatar and whatnot. But I don't think 100 is unreasonable for the colossals.

Kovnik Obama
02-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks for posting that Sorcsha art, though I painted mine blonde on principle. Stupid brunettes with their being taken seriouslty hair colour and whatnot grumble grumble.

No problem! And to be precise, Sorscha's officially black haired, Zerkova's blonde, so is Haley (apparently, according to her art, Epic Haley went to brunette when she learned to manipulate time), and Denehgra is the brunette (not that we often see her without the fugly mask) :p But hey, if your Sorscha is having more fun than the official one, more power to you ^^

And regarding FW, some stuff is incredible, but as far as an centerpiece, under 100$, it's not the same thing. It's entirely possible to make a small force of Marines, and have the Contemptor the centerpiece. I'd even say that it's a better model than the 2 Colossi we saw until now. More details, a more 'realistic' look, maybe a better integration with the rest of the force. 40k and WM have a VERY different aesthetic.

But with the Colossi, the sheer ridiculousness of the size compared to the rest of the force IS the appeal. 'Kaiju', they call it, I think. Probably the same thing that appeal to people who buy Titans and stuff.

And because looking at Sorscha's art is hardly an unpleasant task ;

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1mjxwv8Gg2g/TgEV1bUI2EI/AAAAAAAAACc/1mFsi92Fb_U/s1600/sorscha.jpg

WAAAAAAAAANNNNNT :D

wittdooley
02-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Pseudo Titan? Perhaps you've never seen a Titan model in person. Even a Warhound could only fit one foot on a 120mm base.

Kovnik Obama
02-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Pseudo Titan? Perhaps you've never seen a Titan model in person. Even a Warhound could only fit one foot on a 120mm base.

And perhaps have you never heard the term pseudo before.

wittdooley
02-20-2012, 11:29 PM
By saying pseudo you allude to it being similar in size. It will not be. It won't even be close. That won't prevent me from picking up the Cygnar one if they're priced similarly to the Storm Strider, but to compare them to Titans size size is silly. That is unless your use of pseudo was in regards to them having the same form; if that's the case, then all war jacks are "pseudo titans." the Colossals seem simply to be 54mm scale war jacks.

Kovnik Obama
02-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Thank you for telling me what I was trying to tell you. :confused: ''Pseudo'' derives from 'false', 'lying' implying at least similarity. The similarity is the role they fulfill in the scale of the game. They are the 'kaiju' model. The actual difference in size matters not at all, or at least not as long as it doesn't prevent the 'kaiju' feel, or the game from breaking.

And yes, jacks are all pseudo titans. The IK history explains why. But that's not what I was using the term in reference to, so I really don't see how this is relevant.

asteroidjawa
03-06-2012, 07:56 AM
they look pretty great

Ankehl
03-06-2012, 09:35 AM
I've already asked my local store to take me a Khadoran one as soon as they are purchasable. I'me more doubtful concerning the Cryx one.

Vinsklortho
03-06-2012, 05:52 PM
I'm looking forward to the Menoth colossal for sure. I'm a sucker for huge centerpieces for armies. I own a Warhound Titan, two Battle Engines, and a Tiger Shark AX-1-0 so I imagine I'll get the Judicator as soon as it hits the shelves.

mullinstron
03-08-2012, 05:25 AM
Man these things are cool. Cant wait for the Hordes ones!

Ankehl
03-08-2012, 07:07 AM
Yeah, me too. i'm wondering what the Legion's will look like...

wittdooley
03-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Well. They already did the giant, phallic-vagina tower.

My guess is that it'll look like a Hive Tyrant.

Nidirom
03-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Ugh the price is brutal.

ElectricPaladin
03-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Yeah, me too. i'm wondering what the Legion's will look like...

I'm hoping for something really draconic. I'm a big fan of the Throne, but something more... more dragon would be great. Wings. Claws. Head(s). Maybe also some tentacles - who doesn't love tentacles? - but definitely dragon.

wittdooley
03-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Ugh the price is brutal.

It really is. These things are going to be over $100 at a discount. They're more expensive than a tOn of cOmparably sized FW models, which is going to make it prohibitive for a lot of gamers.

I legitamately like the Stormwall or whatever it's called and may even get one eventually as a cygnar player. But man. It's a tough pill.

Gunnbjorn
03-08-2012, 11:05 PM
I'm hoping for something really draconic. I'm a big fan of the Throne, but something more... more dragon would be great. Wings. Claws. Head(s). Maybe also some tentacles - who doesn't love tentacles? - but definitely dragon.

That would be quite fantastic. I absolutely love the throne, but yeah... something akin to a (relatively) small version of Everblight himself would be lovely.

I hadn't really realized before that these will all be proper warbeasts with fury and the lot... I wonder then how their life spirals will work. And while I play neither Circle nor Skorne (yet), what might their monsters look like?

ElectricPaladin
03-09-2012, 01:16 AM
That would be quite fantastic. I absolutely love the throne, but yeah... something akin to a (relatively) small version of Everblight himself would be lovely.

I hadn't really realized before that these will all be proper warbeasts with fury and the lot... I wonder then how their life spirals will work. And while I play neither Circle nor Skorne (yet), what might their monsters look like?

I saw somewhere that the Circle's is going to be a gigantormous gorilla-like wold.

Ankehl
03-09-2012, 03:14 AM
I expect the legio's to be as far as possible from the Throne. I really dislike this model, it's quite out of the Legion's design, to my opinion.

somnicide
03-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Did you guys see that the King of the Mountain troll one will be on the Adepticon display board?

wittdooley
03-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Did you guys see that the King of the Mountain troll one will be on the Adepticon display board?

Ohhh snap. Where did u see this?

Eyespy
03-10-2012, 04:33 AM
Ohhh snap. Where did u see this?

http://dev.adepticon.org/2012/03/colossals-diorama-by-privateer-press-at.html#more

On a related note I'm going to have to win that prize from Spikey Bitz just so I can own one of these bad boys.

Nidirom
03-21-2012, 04:55 PM
After seeing the price I'm way more interested in the other units that will be in the book. First epic caster for Ret yay.

Greggle
03-21-2012, 06:00 PM
I'm getting pretty excited for the Mountain King model. I just assembled and painted my War Wagon, and I really like the larger sized models.

z3n1st
03-21-2012, 07:08 PM
does anyone know if colossals will be be made for Retribution or Minions?

black_numenorean
03-21-2012, 09:59 PM
I can't wait to see what CoO gets for colossal!

Pudgeinabowl
03-22-2012, 04:52 AM
Looking forward to the Legion's Archangel (name confirmed), and the Church of Doom.

ElectricPaladin
03-22-2012, 07:18 AM
Looking forward to the Legion's Archangel (name confirmed)...

Same here.

RoninXiC
03-22-2012, 07:43 AM
the only thing I'm a bit afraid of is that the archangel is "just" a big angelius :( That'd be quite dissapointing.

Martin_Fierro
03-23-2012, 11:08 PM
I find I'm much more excited about the Hordes version of Colossals (Gargantuans?) than I am about the Warmachine ones. Not sure why...

On the other hand, I like most of the Warmachine Battle Engines better than the Hordes ones.

kammek
03-24-2012, 10:23 PM
What I really want to know is if the Hordes "Colossals" will have an Animus.

Isante
03-25-2012, 01:26 AM
I really hope the horde ones are balanced. The fact that there are already models in Hordes that will be able to scrap a colossal in one turn is kinda dumb, the last thing I want is their gargantuans to be able to roll up to two or three colossals and just lolz as it buys 20 attacks and beats them all to a pulp!

Greggle
03-25-2012, 03:53 PM
After playing a couple games with my War Wagon, I have a lot of faith in PP to make these as balanced as the Battle Engines. I'm really looking forward to them!

Gunnbjorn
03-25-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm assuming Hordes' gargantuans (is that the official term?) will have animi and fury as normal, but they worry me a bit. I'll gladly drop a colossal into as small a game as it'd fit for the sheer fun of it, and with many 'casters I'd find plenty of other uses for their focus.

Taking only one gargantuan, however, would severely limit the animi at my disposal, and it being my only source of fury it'd draw even more fire. It does no good to speculate this early, but I do wonder if they've planned for this or if gargantuans will be relegated to much larger games...

Not that it really matters to me - balanced or not, I can't wait to field a single Mountain King, with virtually no support, in a tiny game just to see how long he can survive. :D

Taco_Deluxe
03-25-2012, 11:03 PM
I really hope the horde ones are balanced. The fact that there are already models in Hordes that will be able to scrap a colossal in one turn is kinda dumb, the last thing I want is their gargantuans to be able to roll up to two or three colossals and just lolz as it buys 20 attacks and beats them all to a pulp!

Gunnbjorn touched on it, but I get the feeling that colossals will be "better" in that your warcaster will get more out of every focus they put on it then say a light jack. Higher return for every focus spent. Hordes will be giving up more if they had bought two heavies instead. If you take a gargantuan over two heavies, you will have one less animus, less hit boxes for transfers, and less fury for leeching. On top of that its wrapped up in one big obvious target.

Also the loss of the colossal over a gargantuan has to be thought about as well. Lose a colossal, you just lose 20 points of killyness, and gain a big area of cover and terrain. Lose a gargantuan and thats a smaller fury pool you have to work with. I wouldn't really worry about hordes being 'better' then warmachine in this aspect. All speculation though until we see all the special rules.