PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started

Forrix
01-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Hello I have been playing 40k on and off for a couple years now and i really enjoy the gaming and modeling but im looking to add some variety. So I started looking at warmahordes stuff and I am thinking of starting a smallish skirmish level army but i have a few question. The main question is how does this differ from 40k and if anyone has played both what it is they like about the different game style. Also if anyone has any recomendations on factions or cheap ways to get started id love to hear them

pauljc
02-01-2012, 03:45 AM
I would say that the core foundations of the game system are quite different to GW's games. 40K is technically a skirmish game, but apart from the shared basics of wargaming (dudesmen, dice, etc), it has a much different playstyle and feel.

Now, of course this is based on my own experiences with the game, but here are a few factors about the Warmahordes games that I really enjoyed:

*Dynamism - Warmahordes are very fluid, dynamic games. Lots of back and forth, swirling melees, last turn epicness.

*Individuality - because each unit, warjack, beast and solo has it's own special rules and abilities on the card, I find that the game has a lot more to do with getting right down to individual model's effectiveness. I can't actually think of the right way to explain this, but consider that I know a lot of Magic tcg players that also play Warmahordes, because building a battlegroup can be just as complex and rewarding as building a Magic deck. Due to unit individuality, you can build some truly wacky lists, and still be hugely effective on the battlefield!

*Two games, one world - Warmachine and Hordes, while having slightly differing rules, share the same core system, and can be played against each other. And it's balanced! So you don't get unfortunate situations such as turning up to your LGS with your shiny Cygnar 'group, only to find that Bob's the only other player today, and he brought Trollblood.

*Dynamic activation - I like 'choose one, activate and complete' system. Quite often I like it more than the sometimes stale system of 'move, shoot, assault'. The major reason for this, in my experiences, is that it can lead to some last turn game-changers, where your opponent suddenly does something utterly mad, that you didn't see coming, and suddenly, your whole strategy has to change!

As for Factions and stuff, my personal favourites have always been Cygnar, Trollbloods, and Khador. Though I would collect them all if I could. For whatever reason, I really adore those oversized Troll buggers with their tiny heads and giant hamfists! :D

wittdooley
02-01-2012, 08:14 AM
For whatever reason, I really adore those oversized Troll buggers with their tiny heads and giant hamfists! :D

Um, Because they're AWESOME!

@OP - The games, as Paul said, are completely different; it's part of the reason I always think die hards for either side, or any comparisons made, are quite silly. It is a very dynamic game, but be prepared to get your *** whooped the first few times, at least until you learn the combos within your army. You'll still be caught off-guard by combos from your opponents (or at least I do; there's no way I can memorize every combo for every caster :P), but once you know how your pieces work together, the game becomes much more fun.

thebarbalag
03-21-2012, 09:02 PM
Cheapest way to start: like either Khador or Menoth and have a friend that likes the other. Split the two-player battlebox. Play many, many games with just those models. You'll have a blast, you'll learn the core of the game, and you'll only be out ~$50 each.

MiketheLurker
03-21-2012, 11:41 PM
The battle boxes are a good starting point for most armies (11-14 points). I started out with the Cryx set, and then bought the 2-player battle box when it came out (so I could try to teach a few friends how to play).
The Khador half of the 2-player set is 25 points.
The Menoth half of the 2-player set is 25 points.

As for the cost, the models are roughly the same as 40k models. However, you need far less of them to play. For instance a 10 man unit of Bane Thralls, the Officer and Standard, and Bane Lord Tartarus is a 15 point unit. (A total of 13 models) is about a 1/3 of of a 35 point army (once Warjack Points are tallied). As a price point the unit comes out to about $87.50 from a discount shop.

As for a good place to get them discounted, I can recommend a site. However, being sort of new around here, I don't recall the policy for linking vendor websites. If you want the site you can PM me. I can also recommend a pretty good Podcast about WM if that interests you as well.