PDA

View Full Version : Big squad tactics for IG

sneakyben
01-30-2012, 02:26 AM
If you had an imperial guard army, and it had 2x 40 man squads, how would you deploy them?

A) 1 squad in front of the other, so you have 2 waves

or

B) 2 sqauds next to each other, so 1 thicker wave?

Iceman
01-30-2012, 10:52 AM
I only played with 2x 40 man squads once. They were pretty tough fitting into my deployment zone next to each other so I'm not sure how it would work one in front of the other. Even if they fit, I would put them side-by-side to give you more shooting and maneuvering options.

thecactusman17
01-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Depends on what those 40-man squads are. Conscripts? Platoons?

Assuming Platoons, the answer is actually "neither": I would run a single 50-man blob full of heavy weapons, then the other would be two 10 man blobs, the company commander and 1 heavy weapons team in front giving the rest cover. The commanders would be giving the heavies orders to Bring It Down etc. while the 10-unit guardsmen would be doing what Guard do best: die gloriously so that the important stuff would live a little longer.

The Twilight Fade
01-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Having one behind the other will generate a cover save for the unit behind it which is nice but will also give cover saves to the enemy if you're firing through it.

Depends on the mission being played, it has got a rather large footprint and should be used to its advantage in objective scenarios

CrimsonTurkey
01-30-2012, 11:49 AM
I'd make one into a firebase filled with heavy weapons and longer ranged specials like plasma guns to use as a firebase along with some ordinance templates and outflank the other kitted for assault (meltas, Commisars) with Al Rahem. Throw in couple more outflanking units and you could make the opponent choose between clumping for the templates or getting hit suddenly by outflankers.

thecactusman17
01-30-2012, 01:44 PM
You are shooting with Guardsmen. Nobody cares if the opponent gets cover saves, unless they are Orks or dark eldar infantry.

Root
01-31-2012, 10:38 PM
I'd rather have 8 10 man squads running around. Saves a ton of points on Commissars and power weapons. Who needs a blob when you can shoot the enemy with 80 guys, sacrifice 10, then shoot with 70, sacrifice 10, then shoot with 60 etc etc. Blobs lose too much versatility IMO. They make better use of orders and can tarpit well but I don't wanna tarpit. I wanna die fast so as not to interrupt my shooting...

thecactusman17
02-01-2012, 02:12 AM
50 guardsmen dont "tarpit" especially if they are kitted right. 50 guardsmen actually tends to kill almost anything they fight, thanks to sheet weight of dice. Straken and a commie is a combo that can and will win you games.

Kandleman
02-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Has anyone acutally tired it, in a game?

Alex4AJM3
03-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Put one of the squads with all the heavy weapons split into 2 20 man teams with anti tank in one and anti infantry in the other. then advance with a blob squad of the remaining 40 guys up the centre just out of charge range and FRFSRF them to hell!

Corvidae
03-12-2012, 02:55 PM
I think 50 man squads rock, but beside the point. Two 40 man squads seems a little unmanuverable, but it really depends on what else is in your army, and how you envision them working. I would probably deploy them side by side as back and front seems like it doesn't gain you too much benefit, but that is not to say their arn't situations where that wouldn't apply. If you want them to hunker down and lay massive amounts of fire, stick them with some heavy weapons and deploy them so they have good fields of fire. Front and back deployment may not be a bad idea if it will end up helping you against some sneaky deep strikers or out flankers.

Personally, with big IG squads I would forego the Heavy Weapons, and just go with special weapons to keep mobile. Then advance them on your enemy relentlessly, with a commander near by to give them the First Rank Fire, Second Rank Fire Order! Then support them well with Heavy Weapons behind them, or sentinels to keep moving and manouvering where you need them. Hellhounds and their variants also make a nasty push with a big blob, or multiple big blobs of men. With so many bodies, there isn' too much to fear, even if you get in close combat. (But it helps to add things such as a priest and commissar with that (although you arn't asking about any of that. :D

Chumbalaya
03-13-2012, 08:36 AM
40 Guardsmen with power weapons and a Commissar can tie anything up all game and have a good shot of dragging them down through sheer number of attacks.

2 40-man blobs is probably too much, 1 blob covering your firebase is plenty.

Kaiserdean
03-13-2012, 10:47 AM
50 guardsmen dont "tarpit" especially if they are kitted right. 50 guardsmen actually tends to kill almost anything they fight, thanks to sheet weight of dice. Straken and a commie is a combo that can and will win you games.

Yes, this is what I'd suggest.

Depending on the scenario, I'd plop them down on the left flank, and right flank and keep your heavys and command in the middle.

Beware the Leash though...

robrodgers46
03-14-2012, 04:25 PM
The nice thing is, you don't have to decide. A lot depends on the type of game, kp vs. objectives, and then how many objectives. For KP make 2 40 man platoons, sit them in front of your tanks/artillery, and watch your opponent cry. A two objective game is similar, assuming you have some mobile troops to swoop in to contest the enemy objective after they have had to deal with one of your blobs marching across the field. With 3 or more, consider smaller combined squads, or none at all. Causing all kinds of havoc.

BB