PDA

View Full Version : PC Game - Space Hulk : The Invasion Begins

templargfx
09-15-2009, 04:50 AM
Hello Everyone,

I was hoping to get players of the actual board games thoughts on my computer game based loosely around Space Hulk!

You can see the game running here
Space Hulk on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ7RhOjclVA)

or download the alpha test here
Space Hulk on YOYOGAMES (http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/67127)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/templargfx/newscreenshot.png

http://stupes.customer.netspace.net.au/terminators.PNG

The entire thing is done by myself, I've been going at it now for over 14 months, and the game is really coming along nicely.

Currently I am working on the campaign module of the game, which is a dynamic, randomly generated space hulk that is different each time you start a new game!

Gregory
09-16-2009, 02:01 AM
Things like melee combat and AI pathfinding could use some work, but I like the overall look of the game. I didn't download the game yet, so what engine are you using? Or if you actually made your own, what language is it written in?

Keep up the good work!

Abominable Plague Marine
09-16-2009, 06:15 AM
Looks pretty cool, well done, and dont forget to keep us updated please!

templargfx
09-16-2009, 06:18 AM
This is made by an application called Game Maker (version 7 pro) which is basicly a scripting language front end for delphi, with a large number of pre-compiled libraries to make programming easier.

that being said, there is no make_dynamic_light() function, or shoot_bullet() function or anything like that. I had to write all of that from scratch.

Melee combat is something I am struggling on getting a decent balance between gameplay and coolness. due to the relatively small nature of the terminators, making it easily visible that you are swinging was a challange. I plan to re-do melee again anyway, as the current system is not flexible at all.

As for the AI, its in its very VERY early stages here. infact the compiled version available here is the first version to have AI, and it was enabled only due to people really wanting something to shoot at LOL.
all the stuff is there for them to be alot smarter, but currently they have no "overmind" which controls all the ai units on the map, so they are uncoordinated at the moment

Emperorsmercy
09-20-2009, 01:30 AM
excellent, i like the look of it. As said before, graphics and meleee could be better, but as this is a scratch done thing, i think we can forgive you. :)

WargamingTV
09-23-2009, 11:54 AM
this is insanely fantastic.

SpaceHulkamaniac
12-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Looks pretty neat. But any chance youd make a turn based version? Preferably squad based that follows the classic rules? I really like the look of it, but real time just isnt for me. But if you could make a turn based squad version, I would give you part of my soul.

Diagnosis Ninja
12-12-2009, 07:59 AM
That's pretty impressive man. Even though it's the alpha, I'm gonna have a test play :) I'll try and give some feedback for it.

I remember back at university that I was going to make something similar as part of a year 2 project (if I hadn't left, of course). Main difference was that it was gothic horror based, with vampires and stuff. Nice to see something similar to what I hoped to make.

I'm liking the persistent bodies and stuff, looks really cool. Also, some of the other graphical things are sweet, like the blips when they aren't in line of sight. The customisation options are fantastic too.

Hope you don't get a cease and desist, or anything lol. I can imagine GW being a bit sketchy, even though it's freeware. If it happens, reskin it, and get it out there.

Also,thought I'd just say the AI lining up to get smashed by the thunder hammer (in the youtube video) made me lol. Lets hope you get the AI controller sorted. It isn't a problem, but I chuckled at it.

Overall mate, it looks great.

EDIT: Christ, that's hard. The graphics run really well on this laptop, but the enemies can kill you faster than the assault cannon can charge

I was looking at the file describing the damage calculation, and, while it's a good idea, the genestealers can attack incredibly quickly, and if two can get in contact with you, you're probably going to die, even with a storm shield.

From what I can understand, you have a random number generator, then,

if Rand > Armour then
deal damage, and all the hit stuff
else
all the miss stuff (sound files and stuff)
endif

The biggest problem is that the terminator, even though he looks like he has 8 armour when he's attacked by a genestealer, is still taking 4 attacks a second from one. There's nothing wrong with it, but it just felt like it was a little easier for them to kill me than the opposite, lol.

Still mate, it's fantastic, and I hope you can continue your project. My only problem is the damage, but you've already said you plan to re-do it :) Great effort mate, and I think it's inspired me a little to try and get my old project going when it hits summer time, and I've finished my HND :D

RocketRollRebel
12-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Fun game man. I'm not too savy on the technical aspects of everything but still entertaining.

folletrap
08-31-2012, 07:36 PM
download is no longer avalaible. is there any other way to have it?