PDA

View Full Version : New WFB terrain piece

eldargal
01-26-2012, 04:16 AM
http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2012/1/25/321405_md-.jpg
Utterly, utterly awful. I'm still hoping this is another hoax but apparently it isn't, people have seen the WD the scan comes from and have confirmed it.

I love the Witchfate tor, I love Skullvane Manse, I like the fulcrums and I adore the Garden of Morr. This, though, is just awful.

alshrive
01-26-2012, 05:52 AM
personally i feel it is the paint scheme that lets this model down (that and the huge cheesey skeleton on top that seems to be signalling to aircraft). if you left off the skeleton and painted it in a darker and more moody atmosphere it might look like it belongs on a battlefield rather than in Ballamory.

eldargal
01-26-2012, 06:13 AM
You may be right, but it is just so frightfully unoriginal. Half the Skullvane Manse or less repackaged with a cauldron of blood and a skellington cheerleader. Maybe if they released it at the same time as the Manse, like the Witchfate Tor/Blight it wouldn't have been so bad. But it just feels like a dissapointing waste of a terrain release slot.

alshrive
01-26-2012, 06:25 AM
i do think it might work mounted atop a Temple of Skulls (raising it slightly more and giving it a more imposing presence) and also in line with all WFB scenery of modern times it will also give it a collection of skulls so large that it would make a charnel house blush.

isotope99
01-26-2012, 07:41 AM
Too much reuse of existing designs. I thought it was a conversion at first. I'd like to see them push the scenery out a bit more.

TheBitzBarn
01-26-2012, 09:29 AM
This is not that bad I think Skullvane was silly and useless piece this is a lot of Witchfate reused but so is the dreadblight

Lykum
01-26-2012, 09:46 AM
The skeleton looks like he is doing the dance for 'YMCA'... terrible.

Mr.Pickelz
01-26-2012, 10:43 AM
The only way i would buy this tower is; if the skeleton eyes had cannons, the spaces on top(rampart?) each had a cannon, the skeleton is replaced with a mortar, the door was open and had a cannon stick out of it, the window thingy with the 9 skulls had a cannon stick out of it instead of the skulls, and it had two dwarfs running in a circle on top happy as can be with a sparkler in one hand and a mug Bugmans brew in the other...
Now that i would buy.:D:D

Lord Azaghul
01-26-2012, 01:17 PM
personally i feel it is the paint scheme that lets this model down (that and the huge cheesey skeleton on top that seems to be signalling to aircraft). if you left off the skeleton and painted it in a darker and more moody atmosphere it might look like it belongs on a battlefield rather than in Ballamory.

^this^

I like the concept of the model, but the skull pool in the middle seems silly - and the skelly signal is down right hilarious.

fuzzbuket
01-26-2012, 03:11 PM
i may apply for a job as deging team leader for WHFB terrain:

sculptor: i made this:
*shows model*
sculptor: any improvments i could do?

ME (from 24 carat golden throne with a pimp my throrne sticker on it) NEEDSSSSSSSSMOAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR SKULLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

(and possibly more skeletons waving orc symbols with human sized candles on its head?)

Wildeybeast
01-26-2012, 04:30 PM
What? Seriously, WTF? *rubs eyes in disbelief* That has to be fake. Surely it's fake. Somebody please tell me that is fake. From the people who bought you some The Garden of Morr, comes the 'Tower of Turd'. That is simply awful. For a start it looks like it has been cobbled togther out of bits of existing scenery and some plasticard. As a conversion, fair enough it's not too bad, but with GW churning out some awesome models recently, how in God's name has this passed quality control?

TheCastigator
01-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Worst. Scenery. Ever.

Cherub
01-26-2012, 08:07 PM
I just got my WD and I have to say that the rules that are in the WD for the Deathkneel Watch (thats what they call it) are quite nice. The new scenario looks interesting as well, I think I will have to play it with the wife tonight after the kids go to bed.

billytwix
01-29-2012, 12:17 AM
I would really like to see a high stone wall. Like the blessed bulwark but more robust than the two corner bits you get with the fortified manor. Smething you could put a 40mm base on. It could be named "wall and stairs". They should have called this joke, mortise engine traffic control tower. 'when the etherial hosts need landing schedules, your master engineer can signal them into the Future earth year 1988 for people in new york to deal with, who are they going to call? Not the empire.'

Morgan Darkstar
01-31-2012, 10:36 AM
This is the first time I have read this thread/seen the model. and to be quite frank....... it's the longest and hardest i have laughed in a long time. xD thank you GW & fellow BoLs members

slk28850
03-05-2012, 10:20 PM
I like it. I actually like all of the fantasy terrain and am planning on getting at least one of each for my home collection. Especially the Garden of Morr.

LordMcSpank
03-05-2012, 10:42 PM
It definitely needs more skulls. Definitely.

CrimsonTurkey
03-05-2012, 11:18 PM
When I see things like this I usually go through a few steps:

1. That could be cool if it weren't for the huge skulls.
2. I could cut them off and cover that with brick-textured plasticard.
3. But then I'd have to cover the rest of the walls with the plasticard.
4. I'll scratch-build my own to save time and money. Thanks for the inspiration GW.

kargie
03-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Overall, I'm glad they're releasing more scenery. And reusing pieces from other sets is fine--keeps a unified look, gets more out, I approve. Is this my favorite piece? No. But as a trend, and if it means we get more pieces like the astromancer (which can then be sold in multiple components), I'm all for it.

Thrasymachos
03-06-2012, 12:08 PM
I'll forgive them this one miss (though it is a terrible, terrible miss) in light of the fantastic terrain pieces they've produced prior to this.

Hopefully the next piece will return to the previous standards of quality design.

Derkus
03-06-2012, 07:11 PM
It definitely needs more skulls. Definitely.

And Bigger ones!!!! Dear lord, I mean the thing is under 50% Skulls! What would Khorne think?