PDA

View Full Version : Someones going to be sticking a large needle in me

DrLove42
01-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Well that about says it all really.

To sum it up, I'm on the Bone Marrow Donor list. And my match is up, so sometime in the next 3 months i'm probably going to pop down to Merry old London and have someone stick a large needle in me pelvis and suck it dry. (Maybe - there are other options for collection)

I've been on the list for years and definently don't want to back out of what is a great cause. However know i've got the letter confirming i'm a positive match, and i've informed work of the fact i might need time off and the disruption it'll cause I'm starting to feel a lot more nervous about it.

I'm also going to do my bit and push the Charity and encourage anyone in the UK (i'm sure there are similar schemes in the US and abroad, but this trust is UK only) to sign up to the register.

Its free, and although you are unlikely to be called up, if you do you're saving a life. (I've been on the register 4 years and have been called up twice - only once reaching this stage. On the other hand my dads been on the list for nearly 30 and has never been called on)

So go sign up and do some more good in the world

http://www.anthonynolan.org/What-you-can-do/save-a-life/Online-application.aspx

Necron2.0
01-25-2012, 10:56 PM
Good for you! I've been meaning to put my name on the bone marrow donor registry for some time now. In the US, I know my particular genetic makeup is in demand with the donor banks, being as I have significant Spanish / Native American ancestry. You've inspired me to request a donor analysis kit.

DrLove42
01-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Good for you, its a noble cause.

I got my shipping orders. London for a day for a medical in February.

Then into Hospital (in London) on the 6/7th march. And the title of this thread is now wrong. It should read "they're going to stick lots of needles into me. Repeatedly." The patient best matches stem cells from the blood, so its 4 injections a day, for 4 days before hand, then to hospital for an extended blood donation...

Grailkeeper
01-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Sounds awful, good luck.

Emerald Rose Widow
01-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Wow, that is no small thing your doing. It is one thing to give money towards a cause, its a whole other thing to give a part of yourself up to help another human being. That is amazing of you, I would love to do stuff like giving blood or plasma, or even marrow if i could. Sadly here in the US, being trans and a lesbian, they immediately assume im all full of STI's and they don't want my stuff, its really frustrating.

Wonderful cause though, that is very wonderful of you to help someone like that, that is true charity.

eldargal
01-29-2012, 03:28 AM
I'm not allowed to donate marrow because I had hepatitis eight or nine years ago.:( Still no idea how I managed to get it. I'm allowed to give blood though.

DrLove42
01-30-2012, 05:13 AM
I've never understood the "gay people can't donate" ruling. I get that samples have to be "clean" and in the 70's most STD were in the gay male community, but this day and age they are just as equally spread. They constantly harp on about needing more donors and yet consistantly turn away a large number of people for stereotyping them

eldargal
01-30-2012, 06:02 AM
I agree, at least you could do some blood tests before turning them away. I had to have tests done 'cos of the hepatitis thing, but it was fine. Do they not allow homosexuals etc to donate blood in the UK? I was never asked about sexuality.

DrLove42
01-30-2012, 06:31 AM
I agree, at least you could do some blood tests before turning them away. I had to have tests done 'cos of the hepatitis thing, but it was fine. Do they not allow homosexuals etc to donate blood in the UK? I was never asked about sexuality.

I don't know about Lesbians but men get asked if they have ever participated in gay sex. There was a big campaign a few years back to open it up to all people, but don't think anything came of it

eldargal
01-30-2012, 06:45 AM
Hm well they only asked me about recent sexual activity, I assumed it was all encompassing and a standard question for everyone. It is stilly, though personally I'm looking forward to scientists being able to create artificial blood in sufficient quantities to render blood donation unnecessary.

Drunkencorgimaster
02-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Dr. Love, you rock! You are my new favorite BOLer

DrLove42
03-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Thanks

Well I'm now half way through pre-treatment. So in a little discomfort as the bone marrow reacts to the drugs and swells up inside my bones. But all for a good cause.

Found out my recipient. Is a young woman, with an age between 5-25. Thats a pretty big window I must say.

Hospital on Tuesday for op, then rest of the week off. Lots of painting then ME3 to enjoy :P

Grenadier
03-03-2012, 10:19 AM
I don't believe I'd donate my marrow or other bodily material. Because I'm a selfish jerk like that. Do you have any right to choose who gets your donated marrow? Or do they just take it and give it to whoever is next on the list and matches you?

DrLove42
03-04-2012, 12:31 PM
You sign up to the charity, they keep you on record and if they find someone who needs a donation, and looks to be a potential match, they ask you to send them a bigger sample. If thats a match you work through the steps and end up donating

You never meet and you have no choice. They just rely on you...you know being a decent human being to donate of your own free will and choice to give.

Grenadier
03-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Well, I prefer not to be a decent human being then. If I'm giving up something I was born with I'd want to know who it goes to.

DrLove42
03-06-2012, 02:09 AM
Well technically youre not born with it. What theyre collecting is grown by the drugs ive had over the last 4 days

Well todays the day. Under the proverbial knife or very literal needle..By time i go to bed tonight il have helped save someones life

Not a bad way to spend a day

Drunkencorgimaster
03-06-2012, 09:43 PM
I signed up to be a bone marrow doner after reading your post. I hope others follow your lead. I am even going to forgive you for your trollish American politics thread.;)

Necron2.0
03-15-2012, 02:01 PM
I sent back my samples today.

So Dr. Love, how'd it go?

Grenadier
03-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Good luck with it. And man up! It's just a needle! I once had a big assed lawn dart impale my foot and pin it to the ground. And calmly did I reach down and pull it out. So fear no needle! It's only a temporary pain. And a little pain never hurt anyone! Be strong! Be brave!

Well technically youre not born with it. What theyre collecting is grown by the drugs ive had over the last 4 days

Well todays the day. Under the proverbial knife or very literal needle..By time i go to bed tonight il have helped save someones life

Not a bad way to spend a day

DrLove42
03-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Thansk for the comments guys, and well done to everyone who signed up

It wasn't that hard really. Have to say the night before was the worst of it, because the pre-lim drugs made it one of the worst nights sleep of my life. The actual thing wasn't that bad. Just a bit uncomfrotable while they jiggle the needles round

Having to pee in a cardboard bottle cos i couldn't move more than 3 feet from the machine for the 4 hours while on a constant drip wasn't exactly a highlight either. Had every drop of blood in my body pumped out of me, mixed with anticoagulent, put into a centrefuge, spun, seperated and put back in 3 times (about 18 litres goes through the machine in 4 hours)

Will say though. The trust don't scrimp. 2 nights in a good 4 star hotel (£200 a night) in middle of London, one day in a Private, £3500 a night hospital and good service. Got a bottle of water (bottled on the royal estate from their aquifer), ice cream from the place that supplied the royal wedding and then £30 per day per person (they also paid for my fioncee to come with) in food. They know how to treat you right!

And some pictures!

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m252/drlove42/2012-03-06132234.jpg

What we're here for

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m252/drlove42/2012-03-06132528.jpg

My "in" pipe. Not the biggest needle of the day

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m252/drlove42/2012-03-06103958.jpg

My handsome mug. Free Sky Tv to the bed, with internet that was faster than that which I get as staff at the University....

Grenadier
03-19-2012, 02:26 PM
I figure if you're giving up part of your body they ought to treat you to the good stuff. If I did this they'd probably stick me in a Motel 6 and give me a meal from McDonald's dollar menu or something.

whitehart
03-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Thats an awesome thing you did, I am a frequent blood donor and on the platelets donor list too although I have recently had to have immunisations because of my occupation which means I cant donate for a few months.

I frequently meet people who are the recievers of bone marrow and it really is a life saver, I am learning to do TBI (total body irradiation) which is the procedure the reciever will go through to prepare their body to accept the donor marrow if they are a cancer patient.

I have a question for Grenadier, you do not wish to donate tissue because you do not know who recieves your donation but if the tables were turned and you had to recieve a transfusion would it matter who the donator was?

Grenadier
03-19-2012, 03:28 PM
You really want to open an ugly can of worms? This is dangerous ground. The kind in which someone stupid would simply rush to assumptions and make false accusations like racism, or perhaps denigrate religious views I may or may not subscribe to. But if you really feel you need an answer from me here you go:

It's not a religious thing or a racial thing. I'm concerned about the quality of a person. People of good character matter more to me than people of terrible character. Am I being judgmental? Yes. Do I have a right to judge others? Yes. Because people judge me all the time. And we all judge one another. I would not want any part of my body being used to preserve the life of a person of terrible character. Likewise, I would not want any part of a good person's body being used to preserve my life. If we must swap marrow, organs, blood, etc, I'd simply prefer my parts going to people worth keeping alive and not those who don't deserve it.

Alright now, let me have it folks.

Mud Duck
03-19-2012, 04:03 PM
. I would not want any part of my body being used to preserve the life of a person of terrible character. Likewise, I would not want any part of a good person's body being used to preserve my life.

I understand the first part of this statement, but the second to me is confusing; Would the fact that the person is/ has donated a part of their body (postmortem or otherwise) not make them a 'good person'? Is not giving of themselves, in this case literally, not a tenet of most religions?

Grenadier
03-19-2012, 04:11 PM
I personally don't consider organ donation to automatically make the donor a good person for having done so. And simply just meeting the basic requirements of any particular religion's tenets doesn't either. Where I live we have lots and lots of those "good Christians." But their goodness seems to be entirely dependent on showing up to church each Sunday. While the rest of the week they don't live up to their teachings. So to me simply doing a good act isn't enough to make you a good person. I do good things all the time but am far from being a good person. You have to live the good. Be the good. It is not enough to dole out a bit of good deeds here and there over the course of your life. Nor is it enough to leave your organs to be donated once you're dead. It takes much more to be a "good person." But it is not necessarily difficult to be a good person either.

whitehart
03-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Sorry if it put you on the spot but I thought you gave a pretty reasonable answer. I too wonder where my blood goes, does it help save the life of a premature baby or does it save the life of a drunk driver who mowed down a pedastrian crashing his car.

Thornblood
03-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Dr, you are a freakin hero and deserve a medal.

Mud Duck
03-19-2012, 07:22 PM
I think that this is closer to the question that I was thinking and trying to put into words, Grenadier.
So if Mother Theresa was a match and offered up life saving Bone Marrow to you, you would not take it because you don't think that your 'good' enough? That sounds like a hard line to toe when the chips are down, not sure if I could make it.

Grenadier
03-19-2012, 07:25 PM
While donating your blood or organs don't make you a good person automatically I would go so far as to say it is a sign of good character.

I don't know much about how the medical community handles it. Just that blood is taken and stored until someone needs it. And people wait on donor lists for organs when they become available. If recipients get your organs after you are dead it really won't matter what your concerns were in life. But what about organs you donate while alive? Can you have some control over who gets your stuff? Like, if I was going to donate a kidney or something I can live without I'd like to make sure it goes to a child.

Sorry if it put you on the spot but I thought you gave a pretty reasonable answer. I too wonder where my blood goes, does it help save the life of a premature baby or does it save the life of a drunk driver who mowed down a pedastrian crashing his car.

whitehart
03-20-2012, 02:52 AM
I believe you have control over your organs whilst your alive, you normally see family members donating a kidney or liver lobe to a relative. It would be pretty unethical if you didnt have a choice.

Grenadier
03-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Then I'm S.O.L. Not much in the way of family so no organs for me.

Lady Fenris
03-21-2012, 06:10 PM
Great story to hear! Makes me want to man up and donate some blood and possibly go on the list.

However I am upset to hear that trans and gays are not allowed to donte? Seriously? All it takes i a small test of blood.

Anyways good luck on recovery!

whitehart
03-22-2012, 02:02 AM
http://www.blood.co.uk/pdf/Donor_Welcome_Booklet_Spreads.pdf

This might help if people are unsure if they can donate blood.