PDA

View Full Version : Kingdoms of Amalur: Recoking

wittdooley
01-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Holy awesome. That's really all I can say right now based off the demo. I can't wait to purchase and play the full game, as it seems to fill in all the (admittedly small) gaps for me in Skyrim (and I love Skyrim).

Also, with EG particuarlly in mind: you get 3 unique pieces for Mass Effect 3 for playing the demo. Totally worth it.

Thoughts?

DarkLink
01-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Try Dark Souls while you wait. It's an absolutely amazing game somewhat similar to Skyrim. You also get massive bragging rights if you beat Dark Souls, because it's a relentlessly difficult game. Completely fair, but extremely difficult, and most of the bosses in the game will probably qualify as "that one stupid boss you just can't beat", but it's always because you as the player were too stupid not to dodge that one attack or make some mistake.

I cannot recommend Dark Souls highly enough, especially since it's not as well known as Skyrim or Dragon Age.

As for Kingdom, it looks pretty interesting, though I haven't played the demo.

wittdooley
01-23-2012, 08:25 PM
What system?

DarkLink
01-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Xbox and PS3, but not PC. Here's a couple (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=725uj0jGcZk&feature=fvwrel) of trailers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93LFz_j5fQA). It's an immensely satisfying game, and the world is absolutely visually stunning. It feels like you really did get dropped off in a dying world and you're just trying to survive.

eldargal
01-24-2012, 05:09 AM
I know nothing about it apart from the ME3 items, but I've already downloaded it.:rolleyes: Going to play it as soon as I've finished Me2 on Nightmare to get the last remaining achievement.

eldargal
01-25-2012, 03:57 AM
Played it just now to have a break from ME2. It really felt like WAR, so pretty but it completely failed to immerse and engross me in the game world. I doubt I'll be buying it on release, if at all. I can't really explain why I feel this way either, just like with WAR. It just failed to capture my interest.:(

wittdooley
01-25-2012, 09:36 AM
It's very High Fantasy in the Salvatore style (he did write the thing, after all) so if you're not a fan of him, I can understand why you may not like it.

Again, I loved it. I think the combat system fixes EVERYTHING that I had a qualm with in Skyrim. I really dig the "Fable-esque" aesthetic, and, from everything I've read, the world is simply enormous.

Glad you got the ME3 items though :D

eldargal
01-26-2012, 03:19 AM
I'm not his biggest fan, but I don't hate his writing. I did enjoy elements of the combat and world interaction and the graphics had a nice retro-rpg feel to them. I don't know, I should probably give it another chance but it just failed to engage me.