PDA

View Full Version : Major Piant change

TheBitzBarn
01-22-2012, 10:31 AM
New Paints come March.

GW has told retailers that they will no longer require you to buy 6 instead until March you can buy one paint at a time to keep one of each in stock but to sell off your stock and just maintain one color and that first week of March a major paint relaunch will take place reps were not told what they entails but it will be a major event.

So if there is a color you love stock up now

Deadlift
01-22-2012, 03:16 PM
I made the switch to Vallejo last year, not because I prefer the paints ( I do though) but I love the dropper bottles and the much larger selection across their ranges, the liquid gold alcohol paints are amazing. GW will need to do something very cool to tempt me back.

templarboy
01-22-2012, 04:03 PM
I also went with Vallejo because of the dropper bottles. I even buy empty ones and transfer GW metallics into them. I just hope they leave the washes alone. They can increase the range of foundations and washes. That would be great. A bigger bottle of Devlan would be awesome. I would buy it by the pint.

Emerald Rose Widow
01-22-2012, 08:34 PM
I actually prefer GW paints and their containers, i prefer the pots as i waste far less paint that way. with the droppers i have to drop some out on my pallete first before using it and a lot gets wasted, even if im being conservative. It would be really cool to see GW do some more washes though, and maybe bring back the inks as well, so much potential

Kawauso
01-22-2012, 09:38 PM
Ugh...please please please don't let this be a huge shake-up to the line that affects the tons of unpainted models I have across all my armies... :(

lobster-overlord
01-22-2012, 09:50 PM
I'm betting it's moving to dropper bottles, and most colors will remain the same.

flekkzo
01-22-2012, 11:00 PM
I'm betting it's moving to dropper bottles, and most colors will remain the same.

I wonder if there are any colors that aren't selling well at all. I hope they add colors instead, and improve the poor ones.

Finecolor!

eldargal
01-22-2012, 11:24 PM
Worst happens I start buying more Coat d'Arms. If it is just dropping poor selling paints it really isn't a big issue, I mean no one with a business keep stocking poor selling items if they can help it.

Mr.Pickelz
01-23-2012, 01:07 AM
My orks will miss Devlen mud should it disappear. :( :(

Deadlift
01-23-2012, 05:01 AM
My orks will miss Devlen mud should it disappear. :( :(

I wouldn't worry to much, the washes are very popular and are good sellers. They won't be going anywhere. Would be nice to see the inks again though.

Whatever it is that's happening with the paint range I have to give credit to GW. Their always trying to improve the products and although you could argue for the reasons why (Ł) the improvements we have seen over the years in quality of models and supplies is great. And yes I like finecast :).

Defenestratus
01-23-2012, 08:11 AM
Ugh...please please please don't let this be a huge shake-up to the line that affects the tons of unpainted models I have across all my armies... :(

From what I've been told - it is. The whole range is getting redone akin to the "revolution from inks to washes".

What I read from that is GW has lost the contract with their current supplier and has moved to another one.

DrLove42
01-23-2012, 08:16 AM
Better stock up on those paints I use on everything.

Everything in my De starts off in one colour....better make sure I get a few of them just in case...

Defenestratus
01-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Better stock up on those paints I use on everything.

Everything in my De starts off in one colour....better make sure I get a few of them just in case...

I started stocking up two weeks ago on the 4 layer scheme of my bone scheme for both my wraith constructs and my blood angels highlights.

Problem is - one titan and it all goes away....

eldargal
01-23-2012, 08:20 AM
Other it is (rumoured to be) the other way around, the old producer lost the GW contact and GW were approaching another company that produced a higher quality paint. The rumours first started to this end perhaps six months ago.

Kawauso
01-23-2012, 08:48 AM
From what I've been told - it is. The whole range is getting redone akin to the "revolution from inks to washes".

What I read from that is GW has lost the contract with their current supplier and has moved to another one.

For those of us uninitiated in this revolution - can someone explain what it means?

Defenestratus
01-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Other it is (rumoured to be) the other way around, the old producer lost the GW contact and GW were approaching another company that produced a higher quality paint. The rumours first started to this end perhaps six months ago.

Either way the contract was terminated with the existing supplier and whole scale changes are incoming.

eldargal
01-23-2012, 09:08 AM
Quite so, I just wanted to get the rumours straight lest we inadvertently start a 'omg companies r abandining gW!11' rumour.;)

The main whole scale change, if the rumours are accurate, is a significant increase in quality.

Deadlift
01-23-2012, 10:08 AM
I expect an increase in pigment then, or maybe even paints that don't need to be watered down but can be painted straight from the pot. I can see that being possible.

doogansquest
01-23-2012, 02:10 PM
I hate it when the Piant changes.

Dalleron
01-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Would I be wrong in assuming that this major paint change will be accompanied by a price increase befitting such a major event?

DrLove42
01-24-2012, 04:38 AM
Would I be wrong in assuming that this major paint change will be accompanied by a price increase befitting such a major event?

I'm impressed it took as many as 19 responses before some made a *****y comment about GW pricing....

Groo The Wanderer
01-24-2012, 07:01 AM
I'm impressed it took as many as 19 responses before some made a *****y comment about GW pricing....

Considering their profits are up, I imagine it's a big part of the reason... to keep the wheels of industry rolling along... :)

Deadlift
01-24-2012, 07:24 AM

Let's be honest though, GW paint isn't that expensive and a pot can last ages if stored correctly. If the quality is going to improve then I expect a price increase too.
I bet a pot will still be cheaper than a pint of beer.

Groo The Wanderer
01-24-2012, 07:26 AM
...now there's a marketing stratagy... a free pint with every pot! ;)

Tenchuu
01-25-2012, 01:01 AM
This may explain why they took down the old painting articles and are not budging on that issue despite a fair bit of backlash from the customers. They also took down every post complaining about it (including mine discussing their business model, but hey, saw that coming). :D

eldargal
02-04-2012, 01:29 AM
May be fake, but check this out (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Games-Workshop-CITADEL-PAINTS-x5-Brand-New-/260948310834).

GAMES WORKSHOP

CITADEL PAINTS

BRAND NEW

*WHITE SCAR - layer

*CADIAN FLESHTONE - layer

*SLAANESH GREY - layer

*MECHRITE RED - fundation

*SCREAMING BELL - base
New 'Layer' range and new basecoats, if real.
http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131405&d=1328346000

woodenronin
02-04-2012, 06:42 AM
NOOOOOOOOO!WHYYYYYYY! Paint pots suck. I am going to puke in my mouth.

Kawauso
02-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Seems legit.

What's new about the Mechrite Red, though? Unless they've made it so that it isn't watery and oily xP I've never really liked that paint...

Anyone who knows a thing or two about paints know what these 'layers' might be about? Versus, say, foundations or 'base' paints?

I'm guessing what this huge shake-up looks like is just splitting the paints into 2 new categories and re-naming a bunch of them?

DrLove42
02-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Hmmm looks like I better go through my case and see what i can't live without and back it up.

and agreed....mechrite red aint new. Used some this morning in fact.

But i'm not sure if these are real. Why do the rest have that "splat" on them, but the current one not? Also they text and stuff looks very unfocused, blurry. And th elabels aren't at all consistant. For instance the "screaming bell" label is off the bottom of the pot, whereas the "White Scar" is all the way at the top.

Additionally...why Slanesh Grey? That makes no sense at all as a name. If there was one colour I wouldn't say when asked what colour slannesh is, its grey

Kawauso
02-04-2012, 03:17 PM
But i'm not sure if these are real. Why do the rest have that "splat" on them, but the current one not? Also they text and stuff looks very unfocused, blurry. And the labels aren't at all consistant. For instance the "screaming bell" label is off the bottom of the pot, whereas the "White Scar" is all the way at the top.

Well the splat would just be a label change for the 'new' paints.
As for the labels, I have a bunch of paint pots like that - all brand new from the mega paint set I ordered before Christmas.

Not saying that confirms these as real - just saying it doesn't make them fake, either.

Brakkart
02-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Is it just me or is Screaming Bell a really weird name for a paint? I mean that's not the name of a coliur, shade or anything really. I'm guessing from looking at the picture there that it is a bronze or brass metallic, but still strikes me as an odd name.

isotope99
02-05-2012, 05:26 AM
Is it just me or is Screaming Bell a really weird name for a paint? I mean that's not the name of a coliur, shade or anything really. I'm guessing from looking at the picture there that it is a bronze or brass metallic, but still strikes me as an odd name.

Looks like the current tin bitz colour. I guess brass bell sort of makes sense.

The slaanesh would be for the daemonette skin.

Cadians may be the most common human skin tone in 40K

White scar is kind of obvious, although skull white and chaos black have been around so long.

MarneusCalgar
02-05-2012, 07:33 AM
Also seems legit for me...

But weŽll also have to wait and see the new colours

Kawauso
02-05-2012, 04:05 PM
****. If Screaming Bell is a new bronze colour...

I'd need to stock up on Dwarf Bronze. -_- It's the perfect base/blending colour for my Bronze Angel army. Unless it's just a new name...gah, I'm not a fan of the paint lineup changing...at least not now, when we don't know what's happening. The urge to stock up on a ton of paints for my armies is overwhelming.

DrLove42
02-05-2012, 04:22 PM
I'd imagine "Screaming Bell" is in reference to the big brass bell of the Skaven army.

Deadlift
02-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Missed opportunity not to go to droppers I think, but that's just personal taste. May try a few depending on how others find them but I can see me sticking with vallejo.

miteyheroes
02-07-2012, 07:00 AM
E-mail from eBay:

"We'd like to let you know that eBay has ended an item you were bidding on for breaching of one or more of our policies. As it's important that eBay maintains member privacy, we can't tell you exactly why the listing was removed.

Any offers or bids placed on this listing are now null and void. If you were the winning bidder, you're no longer obliged to pay for the item."