PDA

View Full Version : WH40k - Atlanta Circuit Tournament Round 1 -Giga-Bites Cafe, Marietta GA - Sunday, Fe

Sergeant Horse
01-21-2012, 09:34 AM
That's right, the Atlanta Circuit Tournament is back and round one will be hosted at Giga-Bites Cafe on Sunday, February 26th at 10am

. For those of you that don't know what the A.C.T. is, it is a 6 month series of tournaments, hosted by some of the top stores in Atlanta, each time you go to an event, you will earn points, with the eventual winner being dubbed, the Champion of Atlanta. We are proud to be working with Tower Games, Phoenix Games, Treefort Games, FCB Games & Waging Wargames on this this year, and look forward to many great events over the next number of months.

Sign up for the first round is on our forums @ http://gigabitescafe.com/forum/index.php?topic=3946.0 , I will be finalizing the ruleset over the weekend, and will edit it onto the topic (It will be following standard RTT guidlines)

JJCrux90
01-25-2012, 12:18 AM
We are proud to be working with Tower Games, Phoenix Games, Treefort Games, FCB Games & Waging Wargames on this this year, and look forward to many great events over the next number of months.

I noticed this is being attempted again and had some concerns and just one general question. Two stores, both north and south of Atlanta, I visit and purchase 40K from are not listed. When I reached out to the owners and managers of these stores I received an almost identical answer from them both saying you've never reached out to either of them about this event. The store north of you on 75 I know you're definitely aware of because many people I see playing in your store I see in their store as well. I'm concerned that on the surface it appears you're not interested as the store owner of Giga-Bites and overall A.C.T. organizer about trying to work with all the stores in the Atlanta 40K gaming community to make this the best event possible. From reading your forum you said there will be 32 spots in this circuit and with it rotating from store to store I question how you can cram 16 tables into some of the stores listed due to those stores floor print being barely larger than the foot print the 16 tables would take if you put them 4 across and 4 deep with no space in between them. From reading the forum it appears most of the people who signed up live in the Cobb county area, since most stores don't use forums everyone who plays in your store the majority of time appears to have taken most of the spots already.

I'm fearful this is going to turn into another flop like it did in 2009. What is going to be done differently play wise to make this better and not have the same disasterious results it did back then?

Sergeant Horse
01-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Hey there,

First of, I am not the overall organizer of the event, as that falls to a local group around the Marietta/Alpharetta area of which I am only a part.
If you could pm me the names of both stores, I assume you mean Hobbytown to the north of us, which I was under the assumption HAD been contacted, regarding the store to the south, the only one I know of is Treefort, can you pm me the name of the other one?
Secondly, whilst OUR store can easily accomodate 32 people, we are of course aware that other stores may not be able to, which is why there is no upper limit to the amount of people to attend, we have only set a minimum of 16, which is only 8 tables.
Thirdly, as to the signups, of the 24 signups on our forum so far, I have:

1. Kevin King (Smyrna GA)
2. Justin Pettett (Marietta GA)
3. Danny George (Marietta GA)
4. Adam Scurr (Woodstock GA)
5. Unholy Martyr (Augusta GA) if I remember correctly
6. Kelly Wallace (Marietta GA
7. Seth Plockelman (Marietta GA)
8. Thomas Byrd (Marietta GA
9. Chip Bowen (Marietta GA
10. Mike morefield (McDonough GA)
11. Mike White (Alpharetta GA)
12. John Ross (Marietta GA)
13. Jesse Farmer (Sandy Springs)
14. Cameron Blume (Decatur)
15. James Kennemar (Kennesaw)
16. Paul Murphy (Kennewsaw)
17. Walter Langendorf (Duluth I think)
18. Brian Buhler (Columbus GA)
19. James Davis (Decatur GA)
20. Peter Strode (Macon GA)
21. Kruse Smith (Macon, GA)
22. Todd Cornell (Columbus GA)
23. Todd Walker (Columbus GA)
24. George N. (Columbus GA)

so its about 9-10 out of 24 from the Cobb County area. We expect a larger number of course from the surrounding area, but this is a good pull from all across Atlanta & North Georgia. There is still 8 spots left and tbh, unless a person has prepaid, they cannot be guaranteed a spot, so don't worry about not getting in, if you wish to play, sign up and pre pay, you will be guaranteed a spot :)

I cannot guarantee it being a success OR a flop, all we can do is the best we can to make this a fun event for all Atlanta, if you'd like, you can get in touch with me personally and let me know any suggestions you may have to help.

thanks!

KellyLama
01-27-2012, 11:01 PM
I think tha there are a lot of incorrect assumptions and information in JJCrux90's post Let's see if I can't address some of the major ones.

The Atlanta Warhammer 40k Tournament Circuit is being organized primarily by some of the competitive tournament players in the Atlanta area. I'm doing a lot of it, and there are around a dozen folks involved at the moment. Sergeant Horse (David) is part of that discussion group, but there are at least two other store owners that are at least reading what is going on in the organization group. He is hosting the first tournament, primarily because his store is closest to my house, so I am in there regularly. As of today, there are four (five?) other stores signed up for the 40k circuit.

David mis-stated that the circuit will run for 6 months. My intention is to run it year-round. With 6th Edition on the horizon, the organizing group is going to end the current (2012) circuit season whenever 6th Edition hits, and will probably take a 30-60 day break to absorb the new rules before starting the next circuit (probably 2012-2013). My aspirational goal is 8 circuit tournaments in a season/year.

The minimum size for a circuit event is 20 players. If you've seen the signup list for the February event at Gigabytes, it's already in excess of that. The "regular" tournament there earlier this month had 34 players. If we're going to have a season of running standings, and that many players are willing to turn out, it doesn't make sense to have events much smaller than 20.

The group that is getting the rules set up is doing so in a Google group that is open to the public. Google "Atlanta 40k Circuit" and you should find it, no problem. I'm open to any store (or other location) hosting a circuit event. The only requirements are (1) the location has to be able to provide tables and terrain for 20+ players (ie., 10 tables), and (2) the location needs to accept that the circuit's rules will be used for the tournament (which includes the awards, how the prize pool is allocated, scores are tracked, etc.) If the store owners you're dealing with want to get on the circuit, I'd suggest that they join the Google Group and let's get a date scheduled.

I played in the Atlanta Circuit in 2009. I don't recall it being a "disastrous flop," so I'm not sure what you're referencing there. I know that there was an issue with the overall scoring system picking a circuit winner "too early," which negatively affected turnout at the later events. The rules we are developing (and should be revealing shortly) will hopefully address some of those issues.

Sergeant Horse
02-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Here is a link to the rules & missions - http://www.atlanta40kcircuit.com/