PDA

View Full Version : Eldar 2012 FAQ: is this how runes of wit/ward work now?

Bitrider
01-18-2012, 01:21 AM
So this is how I understand Runes of Witnessing and Warding now:

Example: Eldar vs Eldar, each eldar army has a Farseer with RoWi and Warding.

So when a Farseer rolls for a psychic attempt, he/she must roll 4d6 and discard the highest in the above example.

Thanks

Bitrider
01-18-2012, 01:23 AM
Double post.

DarkLink
01-18-2012, 01:46 PM
No. The psyker 'rolls one extra dice'. Two plus one equals three. In the rare case where the psychic test would require three dice because of a different special rule, then you roll four dice.

Archon Charybdis
01-18-2012, 03:42 PM
No. The psyker 'rolls one extra dice'. Two plus one equals three. In the rare case where the psychic test would require three dice because of a different special rule, then you roll four dice.

No, he's correct in this instance. Runes of Warding force an enemy psyker to test on 3d6. In an Eldar vs Eldar situation with both Farseers having both types of runes, you add 1d6 (anything over 12 being perils) for RoWa and then add another 1d6 (discard the highest) for RoWi. It totals out to 4d6, drop the highest, any result over 12 causes perils. It would work similarly for SitW.

DarkLink
01-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Oh, in that specific case yes. I though he was asking in general.

Dalleron
01-18-2012, 05:09 PM
I thought the common way this was resolved was if you were already rolling on 3 dice, and your opponent makes you roll on an extra dice, the extra dice would cancel out and you roll on normal 2 D6. I believe this was the case in a tyranid FAQ.

karandras
01-20-2012, 10:19 PM
That used to be the case. However, the latest FAQ re-worded all of those answers. I disagree with the above posts though. There is most assuredly ambiguity, however the way I interpret the FAQ in sequence, I do not think that you just keep adding additional dice. It seems that the new FAQ boosted the effectiveness of Runes of Witnessing.

Runes of Witnessing = the caster rolls an additional dice and must discard the highest.

Runes of Warding = caster rolls an additional dice and any result of 12+ is a perils of the warp.

There is nothing to say that when both are in play you are rolling two additional dice. Warding makes an additional dice, but Witnessing automatically removes the highest of the three dice meaning that it nerfs Warding.

Similarly with Shadow in the Warp.

Shadow in the Warp = caster rolls an additional die and any results of double 1 or double 6 is perils.

Runes of Warding = remove the highest die. So unless you roll 3 sixes or are left with double ones, Warding protects against Shadow.

That's just they way I read it and it makes sense to me. I don't see why one would need to roll extra on top of extra. That just my interpretation though.

Groo The Wanderer
01-24-2012, 07:11 AM
...but surely if the FAQ says to add an additional die, irregardless of what rules are in play the dice should be totalled up and then rolled. I think having so many dice in play in psyhic tests are bad enough, but thats what the rules suggest (Perils of the Warp becoming alot more common among the uber-farseers)

Cheers!

marandamir
02-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Both rules add a dice to the roll, so you would roll 4d6, the beneficial rune would then allow you to drop the highest dice.

My question is what happens if you have 2 farseers both with the hate rune? Does each rune add 1 dice to enemy psychic tests (taking psychic tests on 4d6 and perils on rolls of 12+)?

keithsilva
02-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Both rules add a dice to the roll, so you would roll 4d6, the beneficial rune would then allow you to drop the highest dice.

My question is what happens if you have 2 farseers both with the hate rune? Does each rune add 1 dice to enemy psychic tests (taking psychic tests on 4d6 and perils on rolls of 12+)?

I remember in the old tyranid FAQ it said it just cancelled each other out so u would just roll 2d6.:confused:

I am a Eldar player and u would have to roll another dice for the other farseer its just means u have to kill both to roll normally, it doesnt stack.

DarkLink
02-13-2012, 03:25 PM
irregardless

Oh, and by the way: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=irregardless

The Twilight Fade
02-14-2012, 05:31 AM
Oh, and by the way: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=irregardless
Genius

Jwolf
02-15-2012, 11:02 AM
I read it that RoWa is +1d6, regardless of numbers of RoWa. Rowi is +1d6, drop the highest. So yes, 4d6, drop the highest, >12 = perils. Against multiple RoWa, still add only 1d6.

karandras
02-26-2012, 06:17 PM
I disagree. It seems too much like re-rolling a re-roll.