PDA

View Full Version : Melta Spam

DrLove42
01-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Every one accepts melta spam as a fact now.

Get over it

This isn't about is it bad or good. This is a bit of a hypothetical question.

Melta is a 2 bladed weapon. It adds to the damage table (AP1). And gives enhanced penetration (2D6).

Do you think they would be as prevalent with only one of these rules? Say Strength 9, plus one on the table but no pen bonus. Or a weapon that still pentrates as easily, but doesn't affect the roll?

Something I was just curious about....random musings and all that.

isotope99
01-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Probably, as there aren't many single bladed weapons to compete with it (i.e. AP1 no melta or Melta with AP2 or worse) and where these are available they often don't have options for mass melta. Exceptions would probably be something like IG or craftworld eldar if they had more reasonably priced lances.

wittdooley
01-17-2012, 03:09 PM
And gives enhanced penetration (2D6).

Heh.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3404/3208604358_fec957f90b.jpg

Archon Charybdis
01-17-2012, 09:13 PM
If instead of 2d6 the melta rule just conferred a flat +1 or +2 to penetration rolls, like Tank Hunters, I think people would probably still take them. Though, then you might finally see plasma guns show up a bit more.

Uncle Nutsy
01-17-2012, 09:48 PM
Heh.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3404/3208604358_fec957f90b.jpg

That's Quagmire!

hahaha :D

CrimsonTurkey
01-17-2012, 10:44 PM
If instead of 2d6 the melta rule just conferred a flat +1 or +2 to penetration rolls, like Tank Hunters, I think people would probably still take them. Though, then you might finally see plasma guns show up a bit more.

You would see a hell of a lot more ordinance and lascannons too. What makes melta so great is about 75% the ease of penetrating even heavy armor and therefore doing something and 25% the added chance of doing major damage. I mostly like how effective melta is, despite the fact that one of my armies doesn't have access to it and the other has very limited access ('nids and GK) just because it works as one of the few deterrents to taking vehicles. There are enough parking lots as it is, we don't need vehicles to get tougher.

BuFFo
01-18-2012, 08:24 AM
Meltas are good not because meltas are good, but because vehicles are too good in 5th edition.

I have no issues with melta weaponry at all. My issue is 35 point rhinos and 55 point chimeras with the 5th edition vehicle damage chart and rules.

Wolfshade
01-18-2012, 08:48 AM
You would see a hell of a lot more ordinance and lascannons too.

When going tank huntin I always take Lascannons above ordinance. Lascannon's do not scatter (yes they miss) but unless the ordiance hole is over the hull the strength is halved down to a maximum of 5 making it ineffective against anything with AV 12 or more

Charistoph
01-18-2012, 11:56 AM
There are 3 more factors for the Melta spam.

1) Meltaguns are Assault 1. Being able to move, shoot, AND Assault the target is a huge advantage. If you notice, Multimeltas are rare on Infantry because they are Heavy.

2) They cause ID to everything but Monnstrous Creatures and the tougest infantry.

3) They are cheap. Additional penetration, AP, Assault, and ID are all awesome, but when you can fit all that in to a package the costs less than Plasma? It's not a question of 'Why?', but 'Why not?'

Rate of fire and range are the only reasons not to take meltaguns in all but a few isolated cases (which are shrinking with every new codex). Vehicle spam just adds to the reasons for meltaspam.

Rissan4ever
01-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Every one accepts melta spam as a fact now.

Get over it

This isn't about is it bad or good. This is a bit of a hypothetical question.

Melta is a 2 bladed weapon. It adds to the damage table (AP1). And gives enhanced penetration (2D6).

Do you think they would be as prevalent with only one of these rules? Say Strength 9, plus one on the table but no pen bonus. Or a weapon that still pentrates as easily, but doesn't affect the roll?

Something I was just curious about....random musings and all that.

If they only had AP1, I wouldn't take them. I'd stock up on Missile Launchers and Autocannons instead.

If they only had 2d6 penetration, I'd still take them. It's one of the few ways you can be reasonably sure you're going to take down an AV14 target. That advantage, IMO, is way more important than +1 on the damage chart. If you don't penetrate in the first place, +1 damage doesn't do any good.

Vaktathi
01-18-2012, 01:58 PM
If Plasma Guns went back to 10pts instead of 15 and we finally got rid of Gets Hot, you'd probably see more of them and less melta. Melta is popular not only because PG's no longer work in an AT role like they used to, but that plasma guns are across the board half against as expensive on top of having Gets Hot! so they're less versatile and more expensive than they used to be, while Meltas are hideously effective against vehicles.

CrimsonTurkey
01-18-2012, 02:54 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing plasma guns going to a split statline of

24" S5 AP3 Rapid Fire
24" S8 AP2 Rapid Fire, Gets Hot

Shotgun Justice
01-19-2012, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing plasma guns going to a split statline of

24" S5 AP3 Rapid Fire
24" S8 AP2 Rapid Fire, Gets Hot

Really like this idea. Gets Hot is characterful and a useful marker between Imperial and non-Imperial tech. The 4th ed game in which my Master of Sanctity slowly burned himself to death while terrorrising my guard opponent was fantastic, his death in the last turn lost me the game and I loved him all the more for it.

I've always had a problem with the lascannon rules, Super Zingy Beam of Melt is how it should work, instead of which it's 'please hit, please hit, don't roll a 1, don't roll a 1' .
For Godhammer (Land Raider) lascannons I've always though they should be AP1. That would add just enough to the standard land raider I reckon to make it very very likeable