PDA

View Full Version : Got $2400 spare?

Wildeybeast
01-14-2012, 07:10 PM
If so, then this (http://www.etsy.com/listing/86149148/warhammer-40k-imperial-war-locomotor?ref=cat_gallery_1) is for you. Much as I need a 40k train in my life, I'm not sure that any mentally stable person is going to pay that much money for it. Still it looks amazing.

eldargal
01-15-2012, 12:36 AM
I'll show that to my brothers, one of them will either buy it or copy it.:rolleyes:

Necron2.0
01-15-2012, 02:03 AM
I'm not sure which I find more shocking - the price of that item or to discover you can find warhammer schnitt on Etsy. :D

Naw, actually that's easy - Etsy. I could never pay that much for something like that ... but only because I could make something like that relatively easily, and have a blast doing it.

fuzzbuket
01-15-2012, 08:06 AM
WANT WANT WANT

(must not go and buy a few toys from FW, a chimera, a russ and a model train......... MUST NOT.......... gah now ive got my 40k veichal done for GD :L)

LordGrise
01-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Strictly for those with more money than sense. You could buy not one but two armies for the price of that thing, and the only purpose it could serve in a game would be as an objective...

Wildeybeast
01-15-2012, 10:55 AM
I suspect a reasonably skilled mdoel maker could produce that for a fraction of the price. It claims to be scratch built so it will be made of general modelling supplies plus it looks likes bits from GW buildings. A couple of sets of Imperial sectors, plus modelling supplies and I'd guesstimate the parts will cost no more than a couple of hundred pounds. I guess they are charging for the time invested into building it.

Necron2.0
01-15-2012, 03:57 PM
I guess they are charging for the time invested into building it.

That and, as was mentioned, it's for those with more money than sense. As an art instructor once told me, "As an artist the one thing you must always bear forefront in your mind is that for the overwhelming majority of the wealthy, the only taste they have is in their mouths. Asking them what they want is like asking a child what medicines they should be taking. Your job as an artist is to make their choices for them and guide them away from the trite and show them the truly exceptional."

CrimsonTurkey
01-15-2012, 04:05 PM
I would way rather buy a rapid prototyping machine and be able to make whatever minis I could want.

Psychosplodge
01-15-2012, 04:25 PM
Strictly for those with more money than sense. You could buy not one but two armies for the price of that thing,

Or one entire box of space marines lol :D

eldargal
01-15-2012, 11:07 PM
That is fairly accurate, just replace 'wealthy' with nouveau riche.

That and, as was mentioned, it's for those with more money than sense. As an art instructor once told me, "As an artist the one thing you must always bear forefront in your mind is that for the overwhelming majority of the wealthy, the only taste they have is in their mouths. Asking them what they want is like asking a child what medicines they should be taking. Your job as an artist is to make their choices for them and guide them away from the trite and show them the truly exceptional."

MarneusCalgar
01-16-2012, 04:08 AM
Well, another freight train, like Nitro should say...

But... I better say a "Crazy train", like Ozzy should, because someone must be crazy buying this at this price!!!

And all because with plasticard, fimo or milliput and a little patiente you can achieve similar results... not the same but similar, and at a much lower cost!!

Grailkeeper
01-16-2012, 06:32 AM
In fairness, this model is relatively famous as models go- I have read about it in one of the apocalypse books. I think it definitely could be viewed as a piece of art rather than a toy.

Wolfshade
01-16-2012, 07:15 AM
I remember seeing it in White Dwarf and in the Apocalypse book and thought it was cool. The described it as a land raider on rails. I imagine it would always gain +6" movement for being on a "road"

Necron2.0
01-16-2012, 08:24 AM
That is fairly accurate, just replace 'wealthy' with nouveau riche.

A nod to the esteemed lady from her island bastion. The only caveat I'd make is to note that gaudiness doesn't always seem to observe class boundaries. The most recent royal wedding, and some of the more interesting bonnets on display, leap immediately to mind. ;)

Gir
01-16-2012, 04:39 PM
And all because with plasticard, fimo or milliput and a little patiente you can achieve similar results... not the same but similar, and at a much lower cost!!

You could say this about pretty much every major/famous piece of art.

Psychosplodge
01-16-2012, 05:54 PM
It would look lonely by itself though, really you'd need a pair...

Uncle Nutsy
01-16-2012, 07:40 PM
hah. that thing isn't even worth $240...

Gir
01-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Things are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Uncle Nutsy
01-16-2012, 10:09 PM
y'know, I am selling my car. 350,000 dollars and it's yours.

eldargal
01-17-2012, 12:33 AM
If your car was custom made to an incredibly high standard and was stunning to look at it might be worth it.;)

Psychosplodge
01-17-2012, 02:29 AM
For £350,000 I'll let you have my left nipple,it's not like I'm using it for anything anyway....

Lord Azaghul
01-17-2012, 09:07 AM
This is 40k, its not even to the level of Star Trek or sci-fi memorabilia - this thing will never ever increase in value.

I've rather spend the money on forge world stuff...

I think the creator is just trolling with that price.

Its neat, but doesn't command that price.