PDA

View Full Version : Crazy thought for a Necron kill team

Necron2.0
01-12-2012, 01:36 AM
I've been running some numbers, and I saw a combination that I wanted to get some opinions on.

Take one Necron Overlord.
Add 5 Lords.
Add 3 vanilla Crypteks.
Add 1 Harbinger of Despair with a Veil of Darkness.
Add 1 Harbinger of Eternity with a Chronometron.

Total cost: 440

The HoD uses the Veil to move the group to shooting distance of an enemy unit. The HoE uses the Chronometron to reroll one (the highest) of the drift dice if the Deep Strike drift roll goes "Tango Uniform." There is nothing in the rule that implies this would be illegal. With the unit within the 12" firing range of a Staff of Light, the unit fires. That is 27 shots, with 18 hits on average dice rolls. The Staff of Light laughs at power armor, so against something with a toughness of 4, that would be 12 unsaved wounds. Against something with T5, that'd be 9 unsaved wounds. This assumes average dice rolls, of course.

Granted, the price is a bit steep, but do you think it'd be worth it to have a unit that could crush an opposing MEQ unit with relative impunity?

Farseer_Orso
01-12-2012, 08:29 AM
I like the idea, but without the books in front of me, isn't there a FAQ somewhere that states the entire scatter roll must be rerolled? Honestly, I could be making that up, but I seem to remember that from something else that gave a universal reroll...

The Twilight Fade
01-12-2012, 09:05 AM
The chronometron allows a single re-roll per phase. No wording on what this can be used for however, imotekh's night fight roll, orikans transformation roll, armour pen, damage chart rolls or in this case one of the dice rolls on the deep strike.

Certainly as the rule stands this would be one of your movement phase re-rolls

Farseer_Orso
01-12-2012, 12:00 PM
The chronometron allows a single re-roll per phase. No wording on what this can be used for however, imotekh's night fight roll, orikans transformation roll, armour pen, damage chart rolls or in this case one of the dice rolls on the deep strike.

Certainly as the rule stands this would be one of your movement phase re-rolls

Yeah. Looking now, I can't remember what other item grants a reroll (maybe something in Dark Eldar), but he's right. I believe the scatter roll is considered a single roll and while you can reroll it, all dice must be rerolled. Again, FAQ could come and prove me completely wrong.

The Twilight Fade
01-12-2012, 12:26 PM
I think the original aim was to re-roll one of the distance dice rather than the scatter dice itself.

I also remember something coming up regarding the entire re-roll, I think it had something to do with twin-linked blast templates though and whether or not you re-roll just the scatter or the whole thing.

Again FAQ please, there are so many things that need confirming dammit!!!

Necron2.0
01-12-2012, 01:17 PM
What Twilight said. I'm looking at rerolling just one of the two D6's that define the actual drift distance, not the scatter die itself (technically it's not really a D6).

Now, the rules for rerolling on page 2 of the main rulebook states, "If you re-roll a 2d6 or 3d6 roll, you must re-roll all of the dice and not just some of them, unless the rule granting you the re-roll explicitly specifies otherwise."

There are two parts to this. First, I'm not rerolling a 2d6 test. Rather I'm rerolling "a" d6, which is what the chronometron allows you to do (the language does not specify tests, it specifies dice). The other side is the line "unless the rule granting you the re-roll explicitly specifies otherwise." The rule for the chronometron states you can reroll any D6. Again, the language does not make it clear if that is limited to just single-die D6 tests or not.

Nachodragon
01-12-2012, 02:16 PM
The chronometron is an awesome power and to re-roll a die per phase is great. It only works for the unit he is in and it will not work for the Stormlord Night Fighting. I don't have rulebook in front of me to quote the rule right now. BUT, no where does it mention Imotekh needing to be around or doing anything with it. Basically, he starts the storm and then it becomes its own entity.

Also, I think you could re-roll one of the D6's and I would play that way until FAQ comes.

Lemt
01-12-2012, 05:04 PM
The chronometron is an awesome power and to re-roll a die per phase is great. It only works for the unit he is in and it will not work for the Stormlord Night Fighting. I don't have rulebook in front of me to quote the rule right now. BUT, no where does it mention Imotekh needing to be around or doing anything with it. Basically, he starts the storm and then it becomes its own entity.

Also, I think you could re-roll one of the D6's and I would play that way until FAQ comes.

I wanted to disagree with you, but after re-reading the rules I think you're right. The Lord of the Storm rule seems to be that the Nigh Fighting and Storm operate independently of Imhotekh himself, so it's not him doing the rolls, so you can't re-roll them.

setto
01-13-2012, 04:38 AM
are we talking the actual kill team mission, or are you just calling the unit a kill team? I ask because a) kill team is only 200 points and b) all models act independently in the actual kill team mission. if you are not talking about the kill team mission then it seems like an ok unit kind of expensive for my tastes, but to each his own.

Necron2.0
01-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Sorry, probably poor choice of terms. I had it on the brain when I posted this originally. Maybe "Slaughter Team," would have been better. Or perhaps "Assassination Team," "Hit Squad," "Liquifier Squad," "Seattle Ladies Gardening Club," ....

Actually, that last one was the name of my Shadowrun Group, back in the day.

Archon
01-13-2012, 06:01 PM
Hasnīt Killteams a 200 point limit?