PDA

View Full Version : [1,250] Grey Knights List

Akaiyou
01-10-2012, 11:01 PM
1250 Pts - Grey Knights Roster - Draigowing

HQ:
1 Librarian, 170 pts (Nemesis Force Sword; Storm Bolter; Might of Titan; Sanctuary; The Shrouding; Warp Rift)
1 Lord Kaldor Draigo, 275 pts

Troops:
1 Paladin Squad, 335 pts
1 Paladin (Psycannon; Nemesis Force Halberd)
1 Paladin (Nemesis Force Sword; Psycannon)
1 Paladin (Storm Bolter; Nemesis Force Halberd)
1 Paladin (Nemesis Force Sword; Storm Bolter)
1 Paladin (Storm Bolter; Nemesis Warding Stave)

1 Paladin Squad, 335 pts
1 Paladin (Storm Bolter; Nemesis Warding Stave)
1 Paladin (Psycannon; Nemesis Force Halberd)
1 Paladin (Nemesis Force Sword; Psycannon)
1 Paladin (Storm Bolter; Nemesis Force Halberd)
1 Paladin (Nemesis Force Sword; Storm Bolter)

Heavy Support:
1 Dreadnought, 135 pts (Psybolt Ammunition; Twin-Linked Autocannon; Twin-Linked Autocannon)

Total Roster Cost: 1250

In the current tournament scene of 40k, do you see this list doing well against the upper tier armies (IG, SW, GK, BA)? or do you see it as only doing well against mid tier/lower tier armies?

DarkLink
01-10-2012, 11:44 PM
While Paladins are kinda hard to deal with at such a low point level, you still only have two 5-man squads and two very expensive HQs. Your opponent will be able to maneuver around you pretty easily and put everything into one unit at a time. You just have to hope that you can footslog it where you need need to be and that your opponent isn't able to stop you. Lesser opponents and armies will have trouble, but against a really good player with a solid army you'll have a big uphill battle.

Akaiyou
01-11-2012, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

Should I drop the Libby then and add some solodins?

celestialatc
01-11-2012, 07:53 AM
I agree with Dark Link. Having Draigo and the Librarian is a little much at this point level. Also, I would drop the nemesis warding staves. Not because they are not awesome but with this few guys you will probably be shooting more then close combat.

With the 210 points saved I would get something mobile like an interceptor squad for more mobile shooting and with Grand Strategy you can make them scoring. For 192 points you can get 7 of them with a psycannon and have them jumping around giving you speed.

Or for 205 points you can get an Xenos Inquisitor with Hammerhands and grenades (85 points) with 8 Death Cult Assassins (120). Or maybe 6 DCA and 2 Crusaders. This is one of my favorite units to have and if you get it into close combat, it wrecks almost anything. And it's super cheap. And you need the man power.

DarkLink
01-11-2012, 03:39 PM
The main thing that Driagowing lacks is mobility, flexible firepower and ability to disperse. You have so much firepower concentrated into very, very few units that can only shoot and assault one unit at a time.

To solve that, I personally stick to one single unit of Paladin/Terminators, plus a couple of the requisite psyrifle Dreads, and then fill in gaps from there. That means a couple of GKSS units with vehicles, and possibly Coteaz plus some henchmen.

If you're willing to drop the second Paladin squad, plus the Librarian and Warding Stave, that's 530pts to spend. You can get a pair of small GKSS units in Razorbacks, plus some Interceptors or Purifiers. That's the route I'd personally take. It'd look something like this:

Driago (275)
5 Paladins, 2 Psycannons (315)
2x 5 GKSS, Psycannon, Razorback (320)
Psyrifle Dread (135)

That's 205 pts left. That's either 7 interceptors or 5 Purifiers in a Razorback.

If you want to keep both Paladin squads, then I'd probably go with Interceptors. If I were to take an Inquisitor, I'd go with Coteaz to make them scoring and because he has some nice special rules. With lots of Paladins you already have a lot of CC punch, and there's not too much that could stand up to 6-8 DCA at that point level anyways.

Akaiyou
01-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Played some practice games with a 1500 version of this army list and won all 3 games. Currently my GK are on a 5 game win streak

The warding stave has proven invaluable versus BT and DA.

Bit useless versus IG but i dont see why everyone makes such a huge deal on mobility you just have to make SOME tactical plays...it is a strategy game after all. I'd be disappointed if an army had 0 weaknesses...you can't be great at EVERYTHING...THAT would be broken.

The mobility thing isn't too big a weakness when i can deep strikea nd i have a 48" tank killer

any how so far so good i'm still learning to play GK, just realized today that psychobolt ammo doesnt affect psycannons meh....

DarkLink
01-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Right, mobility isn't a big enough issue to ruin the list. You get to really high levels of tournament play and you might start running into some problems contesting objectives and the like, but in general you'll be fine. It'll also matter a lot more at higher point levels, because your opponent will have a lot more units to block your movement with. Being able to move and shoot 6" and then assault doesn't do you any good if your opponent just spawns a dozen squads of gaunts and places them so that you can only assault one at a time, and they're blocking your advance every turn.

Akaiyou
01-12-2012, 05:22 PM
completely agree, that's why i think this list works pretty well at it's points level.

At higher points I have to be concerned with other factors as you mentioned but in a 1250 pt game i just havent encountered anything that can't be handled in some way.

Also clever use of grand strategy works wonders. Wether it's making everything count as troops our getting scouts benefit, and even counter-attack. It's all helped