PDA

View Full Version : 1750 Necrons (shooty)

VSzeus
01-05-2012, 01:51 PM
So here is the Army I was thinking about building, comments ideas concerns ( I will explain after the list what it is supposed to do)

Necrons

HQ
Necron Overlord
Resurection Orb
Phase Shifter
Mindshackle Scarabs

Royal Court
Necron Lord w / resurrection orb
Necron Lord w / resurrection orb
Cryptek (Harbinger of Despair)
Abyssal Staff
Veil of darkness

Troops
Warrior Squad
(x9) Necron Warriors
Ghost Ark

Warrior Squad
(x9) Necron Warriors
Ghost Ark

Warrior Squad
(x5) Necron Warriors

Immortal Squad
(x8) Necron Immortals
w / Tesla Carbines

Heavy Support
Necron Monolith
(x1) Necron Monolith

Doomsday Ark
(x1) Necron Doomsday Ark

Doomsday Ark
(x1) Necron Doomsday Ark
Elites
Triarch Stalker
Twin-Linked Heavy Gauss Cannon

Total 1750

How it works

The Overlord & Cryptek will go with the 8 immortals letting them Veil of darkness (deep strike) around the board each turn (before the shooting phase) to shoot the tesla weapons with 3+ save then 4+ res ( they should not get into H2H, depending on scatter right, but the Lord has some fun tricks in CC <mindshackel scarabs anyone> also a scoring unit

3 necron warrior squads (scoring units)
1x 5 man squad to sit on home objectives (makes you deal with them , only reason they are there)
2x 9 man squads in Ghost arks each with a lord (w/res orb) This lets them fly around be super shooty & claim objectives. They should be very resilient with a +4 save, +4 res, +2 Ghost arc D3 res
note - Ghost arks has armour 13(quantum shielding) and (Living metal) rules -ignores crew shaken on a 2+ and ignores crew stunned on a 4+

1 Monolith It’s a freeking Monolith nuff said ( str8 AP 3 ordinance large template

2x Doomsday Arks ( str9 ap1 large blast does not suck !!!) makes you need to kill these thus leaving my warriors alone.
note – Doomsday arks also has quantum shielding and Living metal rules

1x Triarch Stalker This little gem helps the rest of the army. If it shoots and hits a unit ( not wound/glance but hit - WS4) all other friendly units that shoot at it in the same shooting the phase count as twin linked (I love the Vulkanesque feel to this guy) Oh it also has a str9 AP2 Twin linked gauss weapon
note – Triarch Stalker also has quantum shielding and Living metal rules
(was thinking also about dropping the Phase shifter and replacing the Triarch Stalker with 5 Destroyers)

So basically I will try to shoot the bejeesus out of you with big guns that are hard to kill while mopping up littler problems with gauss and tesla. I will have 8 units on the board (4 of them scoring)

What do you think ? Suggestions, let me know

Lemt
01-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Necron Lords with Rez Orbs. Do you really need them? They add a 1/6th chance for each dead necron to get back up. But they cost as much as 5 Warriors or Immortals. So unless you have a very large unit to really benefit from the Orb's effect, you're better off just playing more Warriors or Immortals. If you really want sargeants for your troops, get Harbingers of the Storm. Really cheap, with quite impressive firepower once you get into your troop's rapidfire range. And since you already have Ghost Arks, I'm guessing you will.
Same with your overlord, free up the points from the Orb. In fact, since you are already freeing up points, why not invest on Trazyn the Infinite? He's also a scoring unit, so you can jump to an objective, have him leave the unit, then jump the Immortals somewhere else (obviously, the Harbinger of Despair joins the Immortals, in case non-Necron players missed that). Plus the immortals right now will be 2 kill points. The same seems to happen with Trazyn, but it's REALLY hard to kill Trazyn and get his point, thanks to his "Surrogate Hosts" rule.
I don't REALLY like Monoliths any more, but if you have one there's no reason not to play it. It's still a Land Raider class vehicle, and most weapons just bounce off it.

The list seems fun, but I really think those changes I said would make it so much better.

What I suggest (1650pts)
1750pt Necrons 5th Ed (2011) Roster (Standard)

Selections:

* HQ

* Trazyn The Infinite
Empathic Obliterator, Mindshackle Scarabs
* Cryptec
* Harbinger of the Storm
Voltaic Staff
* Cryptec
* Harbinger of the Storm
Voltaic Staff
* Cryptec
* Harbinger of Despair
Abyssal Staff, Veil of Darkness
* Cryptec
* Harbinger of the Storm
Voltaic Staff

* Elites

* Triarch Stalker
Quantum Shielding, Twin-linked Heavy Gauss Cannon

* Troops

* Necron Immortals
* 5x Immortal
5x Tesla Carbine

* Necron Warriors
* Ghost Ark
2x Gauss Flayer Array (5 Flayers per Array), Quantum Shielding
* 5x Necron Warrior
5x Gauss Flayer

* Necron Warriors
* Ghost Ark
* 5x Necron Warrior
5x Gauss Flayer

* Necron Warriors
* Ghost Ark
* 5x Necron Warrior
5x Gauss Flayer

* Heavy Support

* Doomsday Ark
2x Gauss Flayer Array (5 Flayers per Array), Doomsday Cannon, Quantum Shielding

* Doomsday Ark
2x Gauss Flayer Array (5 Flayers per Array), Doomsday Cannon, Quantum Shielding

* Monolith
4x Gauss Flux Arc, Eternity Gate, Particle Whip

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)
This totals 1650 points, so you even have 100 points to play around with, or to add more bodies to the troops options. If you really want to you can take out the third Ghost Ark (didn't I mention you can get three?). Oh, but then you want to remove the third Cryptek for a grand total of 240 free points. That's like, a whole new unit of awesomesauce you can add to your army..

VSzeus
01-15-2012, 02:55 PM
I am noticing most guys are going with the five man squads like in your list. I am going with 9 and the Lord with the res orb to keep my scoring units alive.
5 guys are not that hard to kill and you do not get a WWB roll once the squad is killed.
Also a 50% chance of getting back up is huge compared to a 33.3333%
I am not really understanding the lists that are being put up. Maybe it is the Meta in my area, but my Necrons don't usually get a save due to AP so the 4+ res is huge.

not trying to pick, but can someone explain why the min squads are so popular ?
Also I am noticing Crypteks with the same weapons, are they able to do that? or is it just the powers they have to have that are different ?

Lemt
01-15-2012, 05:33 PM
You can turn as many Crypteks in a unit as you want into the same type of Harbinger, and that gives them a weapon. But getting other options is noly 1 per court.

A lord with orb costs as much as 5 Warriors. He gives you a 1/6th increased chance to rez your units. So if your whole unit of 9 got to rez once each, the orb would have only been worth 1.5 Warirors. So then you are better off buying more warriors. Only then you can't load them into an Ark.
Also, once the Necrons are out in the open, they usually die in a single round of combat, unless there is a blob of them. So any Warriors you get ebyond the initial 5 into an Ark are a points sink. That's why I recommend you get Harbingers of the Storm in MSU Warriors instead or Orb Lords. They are cheaper, and they can deal quite a lot of damage.

Tynskel
01-15-2012, 07:48 PM
5 guys, I don't know. Sounds like a paper to me.

I'd rather go 8-10 with an ark. A res orb+ark sounds really good to me. The possibility of keeping that squad near full is nice.
Personally, I think it would be better to do this with an HQ with an orb. Overall, though, you gotta keep that unit out of combats that it cannot will quickly.

Necron_Lord
01-15-2012, 08:19 PM
For starters, for only 5 points more you can switch your Overlord for Nemesor Zahndrekh and get the adaptive tactics and counter tactics rules. You get those two abilites for 5 more points and sacrificing the mindshackle scarabs which you don't want to use in the first place and you can deep strike the monolith during the opponent's turn if you want to due to phased reinforcements.

I really don't see the use for the Necron Lords with Res Orbs, for I assume that your Warriors are going to stay in the Arks. In short they seem wasted. I would get Crypteks instead (Eldritch Lance or something anti-mech).

The Doomsday Arks' usefullness will depend upon the quality of the fire lane it can get at deployment. If there is some mid-table terrain messing with its LOS, then you probably won't be able to get your points worth and the enemy can ignore it. Also 3 out of your 4 anti-mech units can scatter, so the volatility of your heavy fire is increased. You can hit or you can scatter big time.

I would replace the Necron Lords with Crypteks with Eldritch Lances (more low AP which doesn't scatter and possibly a solar pulse), lose the Res Orb for the Overlord and maybe get some Scarabs as another threat for the opponent to deal with. If you are comfortable with your anti-mech, beef up the Warrior footsloggers and have them be a more durable target which can get help from the Ghost Arks. I run a similar list where the enemy will have to make tough choices about what to try and kill and being resiliant to take their punch and using the Stalkers to boost the shooting ability of your army.

VSzeus
01-20-2012, 08:49 AM
cool, thanks for the input guys. I am loving the new book and there are just so many options.

I thought that my warriors with the res orb and the ghost ark are a double WWBR so my squad numbers should stay healthy as long as I am able to avaoid H2H and hopefully the big guns (templates) can deal with most anything.

I like all the ideas and I will try them out to see what is the most successful for me.

Cheers
Zeus