PDA

View Full Version : Salamanders: Tome of Fire trilogy

Jmaximum
12-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Ok, I am half way through book II.
Got a lot of questions:

***********************SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS************************
In book I: Tsu'gan hates Iagon, yet in book II Tsu'gan recommends Iagon replace him as a sergeant. makes no sense.
Is Nihilan (the leader of the Dragon Warriors) a former Salamander? During the scene where he is having his war council with other renegades and FRIKKIN XENOS (thought even chaos space marines on the whole hated xenos) it seems like Nihilan eludes to his past as a Salamander, plus a Marines Malevolent contingent was there (thought they were loyalist) and a FRIKKIN BLACK DRAGON!?!?!?! Thought those guys were wiped out.

Please, someone shed some holy light on this mess.

Thanks!

jodrell
12-29-2011, 03:53 AM
Yep, Nihilan is a renegade Salamander:

Nihilan, formerly a Lexicanum of the Salamanders, was a Chaos Sorcerer bend on the destruction of his former Chapter. His motivations are initially to avenge the death of Vai'tan Ushorak of the Black Dragons Space Marine chapter whom he had followed in worship of the Chaos Gods. (source (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Nihilan))

After turning his back on the Salamanders, he joined the Black Dragons and became Ushorak's protégé.

Jmaximum
12-29-2011, 09:45 AM
was that Book I of Tome of Fire? I must have missed all of that....
thanks for the source tho!

Baron Spikey
12-29-2011, 10:30 PM
After turning his back on the Salamanders, he joined the Black Dragons and became Ushorak's protégé.

He doesn't join the Black Dragons, he joins Ushorak's (a renegade Black Dragon) warband- there's a big difference.

Tsu'gan doesn't hate Iagon in the first book, not sure where you got that idea from.
And no, the Black Dragons weren't wiped out, and yes, the Marines Malevolent are loyalists but that particular contingent was mutated in some way and so had been (sort of) exiled from the Chapter.

Jmaximum
12-30-2011, 01:18 PM
@baonr Spikey-
Doesn't Tsu'Gan have a very deep hatred for a 'low-born Ignean' Salamander in Book I? Because it seems like there is a divide in the CHapter between high-born and low-born Salamanders, and the fact that some feel they should embrace and nurture their human heritage and others think they should cast it out.

Also, I thought in the 40K fluff in general the Black Dragons Chapter was a cursed founding and thus labelled Excommunicatus or something.

And would you know where I can find the source on the Marines Malevolent split? Would be curious to read that fluff too!

Thanks

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
12-30-2011, 04:51 PM
He detests him for being born low-born society on Nocturne. Where Tsu'Gan was born to a noble family and history. He thinks its beneath him to have such a low-born become a Salamander thats all.

Baron Spikey
12-30-2011, 05:45 PM
@baonr Spikey-
Doesn't Tsu'Gan have a very deep hatred for a 'low-born Ignean' Salamander in Book I? Because it seems like there is a divide in the CHapter between high-born and low-born Salamanders, and the fact that some feel they should embrace and nurture their human heritage and others think they should cast it out.

Also, I thought in the 40K fluff in general the Black Dragons Chapter was a cursed founding and thus labelled Excommunicatus or something.

And would you know where I can find the source on the Marines Malevolent split? Would be curious to read that fluff too!

Thanks

Yeah he hates the Ignean but not Iagon, 2 different people :)

The Black Dragons are a cursed founding but doesn't mean they're automatically classed as Excommunicatus- a lot of Chapters arose from the 21st Founding and most of the ones we know about haven't gone renegade.

And this Marines Malevolent split is explained in slightly more detail in the 3rd book in the Tome of Fire.

Jmaximum
12-31-2011, 10:31 AM
again, my thanks to Baron Spikey for shedding some light.
But, while reading Book II I have come across this, on page 293:
'Ba'Ken had always thought of Iagon as a serpent dressed in ceramite, a poisonous creature unworthy of the title Fire-born.Polar opposites, like their feuding sergeants had been, Ba'Ken and Iagon had never liked each other. Like Tsu'gan and Dak'ir before them, it bordered on enmity.'

So I may have been confusing Iagon with Dak'ir from book I.

wittdooley
12-31-2011, 01:53 PM
Seems so. Iagon is clearly named after Othello's Iago--a traitor and a backstabber.

Jmaximum
01-09-2012, 09:46 AM
just finished book 3 (will have to go back and read book 1 again because I dont remember anything about the Marines Malevolent on the Archimedes Rex).
While it is indeed called a trilogy, I do hope they write a fourth book, or at least a side story about what happens with Tsu'gan.

vulkan_tu'shaun
02-21-2012, 05:03 PM
just finished book 3 (will have to go back and read book 1 again because I dont remember anything about the Marines Malevolent on the Archimedes Rex).
While it is indeed called a trilogy, I do hope they write a fourth book, or at least a side story about what happens with Tsu'gan.

there a audio book and i think a small book as well which tie in. the audio book is about Tsu'gan. check black library website.

assume the 3rd book good then, just got today and just started reading it lol

St. Murphy
03-05-2012, 03:17 PM
There is a short story in Hero's of the Space Marines (I think that's the name of the collection), an audio drama and a 10 min audio thingy. Is anyone aware of any other Short stories or Salamander fluff out there?

wittdooley
03-05-2012, 03:42 PM
The Sundering was in one of the chapbooks. I don't know if that's been inserted into a collected stories yet, though.

And of course, Promethean Son. But that's HH timeline.

St. Murphy
03-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Just picked up Legends o t sm and low and behold. First tale is about good old Dakir and Tsugan.

Jmaximum
07-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Legends f the Space marines you say?
Will have to check that out!