PDA

View Full Version : The wolf pack (new space wolf codex)

Athlonis
09-13-2009, 04:38 PM
The local store got it's copy of the new Space Wolf codex in recently, and I've been thumbing through it. I've come up with this absolutely ridiculous list.

HQ:
Canis Wolfborn- 185

Troops:
10 grey hunters
10 grey hunters

14 fenrisian wolves + 1 cyberwolf

Fast attack:
3 thunderwolf cav, 1 thunderwolf cav with stormsheild/forst axe, 1 thunderwolf cav with mark of the wulfen, all equipped with melta bombs
3 thunderwolf cav, 1 thunderwolf cav with stormsheild/forst axe, 1 thunderwolf cav with mark of the wulfen, all equipped with melta bombs

4 Thunderwolf cav, 1 thunder wolf cav with stormsheild/frost axe, all with melta bombs.

1997 points total.

Is this an absolutely crazy and ridiculous list, or would it actually be viable?

Dunadan
09-13-2009, 05:08 PM
I dunno, I've been planning on doing a similar all-wolf list, but I don't know the stat lines or points yet. I was going to use Dreads for my AT: "Tide of Fur and Iron"

Chumbalaya
09-13-2009, 05:45 PM
What happens when mech shows up? You lose.

Fun concept, needs work.

Athlonis
09-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Forgot all the thunderwolf cav having melta bombs -_-;;

Edited it in.

mkerr
09-13-2009, 06:25 PM
I've come up with this absolutely ridiculous list.

It looks like a fun army to play, but you aren't going to win many games with it. Wolves can be an awesome screen (a quick and disposable assault force that holds your enemy in place unit your tougher units get there). Wolves and Drop Pods are going to be an awesome combination.

Here are some comments:

1) Even with Canis, your Fenrisian Wolves can't claim objectives. So you've got two Grey Hunters squads on foot to manage objectives.

2) The Grey Hunters aren't doing anything in the army. Rhinos would help shield the FW and keep them alive until they get into close combat.

3) Thunderwolf Cavalary with Meltabombs isn't going to help you much against a mechanized force (although AV10 rear armor won't be a problem with all of those wolves).

I'm going to go with not viable, but I'd love to hear a battle report!

-- mkerr

Athlonis
09-13-2009, 06:34 PM
It looks like a fun army to play, but you aren't going to win many games with it. Wolves can be an awesome screen (a quick and disposable assault force that holds your enemy in place unit your tougher units get there). Wolves and Drop Pods are going to be an awesome combination.

Here are some comments:

1) Even with Canis, your Fenrisian Wolves can't claim objectives. So you've got two Grey Hunters squads on foot to manage objectives.

2) The Grey Hunters aren't doing anything in the army. Rhinos would help shield the FW and keep them alive until they get into close combat.

3) Thunderwolf Cavalary with Meltabombs isn't going to help you much against a mechanized force (although AV10 rear armor won't be a problem with all of those wolves).

I'm going to go with not viable, but I'd love to hear a battle report!

-- mkerr

Aye, I'm currently trying to gather up all th needed proxy models/bases so I can play test this with the new codex.

You are correct though, reducing the number of grey hunters and stuffing them into rhinos would be a huge help for objective claiming.

Chumbalaya
09-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Melta bombs is definitely not sufficient anti-tank, AV10 you can torrent down with S5 and rending (yay for Fiends) but anything heavier and mobile is going to mess you up. Dreads alone will destroy you.

Speeders, Drop Podding Dreads, Wolf Scouts, WG or GH with meltas, and the like should help you out.

Athlonis
09-13-2009, 09:32 PM
Perhaps, but I will test run it via proxy sometime this week.

Dunadan
09-13-2009, 09:47 PM
BTW, where is everyone getting the point costs and wargear from? Is my FLGS the only one without a copy for everyone to look at, or has it been leaked online?

Athlonis
09-13-2009, 10:25 PM
BTW, where is everyone getting the point costs and wargear from? Is my FLGS the only one without a copy for everyone to look at, or has it been leaked online?

probably the former, since my store got a copy in.

Kanaellars
09-14-2009, 01:16 PM
One comment.

Thunderwolf Cav with MotW is a never ever ever ever good idea.

Why is this?

Thunderwolf Cav, base 4 attacks, with rending.

MotW, replaces base attacks with d6+1 attacks with rending.

Why would you give up 4 attacks for a random 2 to 7 attacks with rending.

If you work out the averages, you will be lucky to get back to where you started most of the time. To me at least, that isnt worth 15 points.

Give it to a Scout or Grey hunter sure, but not A Thunderwolf Cav.

Athlonis
09-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Oh... good point, didn't really look to much at mark of the wulfen -_-;; Guess I'll just have a couple more wolves tag along with Canis.

mkerr
09-14-2009, 09:22 PM
To me at least, that isnt worth 15 points.

Statistically you get 4.5 attacks for D6+1 and it only costs them 5pts, but I agree that it's not worth 5pts to add "more random" to the unit.

-- mkerr

Kanaellars
09-15-2009, 01:37 PM
Is it 5 pts? Ah, well, Im sure MotW was 15 somewhere.

Anyway, there is still a near 50/50 chance to get LESS attacks, and spend 5 points to do it.

No thanks in my book.